Thrills spills and what not

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Thrills spills and what not

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:25 pm

Just got myself a copy of the new Dane Reynolds arthouse surf flick, looking forward to watching it. I'm totally sick of all of the shortboard videos that are full of electro and lo-fi music with a 360 air every two seconds. I don't know about you guys, but I much prefer films with a story to tell or different depiction of surfing (i.e. Brokedown Melody, Thicker Than Water, Idiosyncrasiez, Litmus, etc.).
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Beerfan

Re: Thrills spills and what not

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:57 am

Believe is a good one too. Not really a shortboard movie i suppose.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks I'll check it out - I'm the same, I don't get excited about big airs that are synced with an angry soundtrack - I like watching a well shot whole wave (preferably a nice wave) being surfed well.

I like all the Thomas Campbell films - sprout, the present, seedling etc. Alternate boards in great waves.

....and also Andrew Kidman. I love litmus, and glass love - and have been watching/reading 'into the ether' - it's only short and a bit exxy - but the book that comes with it is awesome quality. Well worth the coin. I'm glad to support this man's art.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:07 pm

I've watched Thrills Spills and What Not a couple of times and I like it. Its more of an arthouse surf flick, nothing like what you would expect from Taylor Steele or even the Moonshine Conspiracy people.

I think it sais a lot about Dane Reynolds really... Its screams of - I enjoy surfing for the freedom to do what I want and have fun, everybody scream after me I AM AN INDIVIDUAL (not just a stupidly talented surfer), and if I can have the self-discipline to set up a camera tripod and hold the camera still for once, maybe the picture would look quite nice.

In fact, Dane tends to fall of on most waves and the way its edited all of the other surfers look a lot better than him. There are moments of pure surfing brilliance like a perfect 4ft blue water shorebreak that runs down the beach meters from the sand for 100-200m.

Its not a movie I would buy my 14 year old son who is starting to get into shortboarding, he might look at it funny and get scared that someone is going crazy.

In the extras session there is "Seen / Unseen", which is essentially the best of Marine Layer Productions 5min flicks all rolled into one. Ironically this is more like a typical surf movie edited to look like Dane is absolutely ripping with surfing 99% of us will never achieve.

Its totally worth a look if you don't mine unusual and slightly schizophrenic arthouse films, this one happens to be about surfing :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.