Ode to the round-tailed quad.

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

simplesimon

Re: Ode to the round-tailed quad.

Post by simplesimon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:42 pm

ah I think Little is onto something here.
Yes the whole speed thing has much more to do with the flat rocker and wide tail than the actual fin set up iteslf. As someone else (i think NC in fact) commented once before on these forums, quads are not as fast as people think. It is the added hold and added turn reach that is the quads real advantage.
They certainly have their place and I enjoy riding them from time to time, but its always good to get back on a thruster too. Its amazing how much riding a quad can fr*k with your thruster surfing when you suddenly jump back on one. They both often take a slightly different riding approach.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Simon ( see, I could easily have gone with Simple ) Like I said, I'm a thruster man because I love them, understand them and they work beautifully. Quads.... I've not been converted although I have no real experience on them. I can't get my head around any perceived advantage. I remember Glen Winton surfing quads at Norah head in the early '80's when twinnies were all the rage and although he was trying real hard to make them work, he never quite got them there. I know things have changed immensely sinse then but I still think they are a bit of a novelty. I don't think quads will ever be the go to board, everything else being equal. Steve Shearer or MP..... any input? In fact I think that board with the deep flyer half way up the rail that MP was experimenting with several months ago was a more practical advancement in my opinion.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:27 pm

lets take a look the asp world champion ...boards they rode :arrow:

hmmm...single fins

world champs rode em

twin fins...one surfer rode with noteable successs

thrusters :shock:

wats that :shock: :shock:

ten world titles 8)

quads...yeah...nothing....u want make as a pro

don't surf a quad in ya heat :idea:

ppl with big hats can and will talk em up all they want :mrgreen:
who's riding a quad on tour steve?

i don't read the loser list so inform me :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:34 am

Click on the Margies Pro website today Tim and watch Slater riding a round-tail 5'9" quad in ten foot Margies........does he count?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

happyripper
regular

Post by happyripper » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:56 am

I've got a S7 super fish quad . I love it. I'm thinking of getting a new bord . How do you reckon your bords woud compare. How much are they and what shops in Sydney sell them
tomtom wrote: Im daddy's special boy

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:08 am

happy I live in sydney and have a few boards you would like .. come round anti will happily "sort you out"

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:36 am

simplesimon wrote: Yes the whole speed thing has much more to do with the flat rocker and wide tail than the actual fin set up iteslf.

Not in this case Simple.

These boards have a modest increase in template area and a standard performance rocker (slightly relaxed)......they are not derivatives of the fish but very much from the high performance shortboard realm.

If you took these boards and compared to Kelly Slater's current round-tailed quad set-ups you would only find a difference in scale, not concept.

The fin set-up gives more hold and drive when on a rail......easy speed for experienced surfers who know how to turn a surfboard.

The McKee set-up goes vertical very easily, unlike the rail centred fish versions of the quad to which you are referring.

They probably won't replace thrusters as go-to boards for the majority but there here to stay this time and in terms of step-ups/guns they are becoming increasingly common.

I asked Kelly at Snapper why he wasn't surfing quads more often in his heats (his boards are 5 plugs). After seeing his Ten Point ride at Chopes on a quad set-up I believe the extra hold he got in that ultra-critical sich saved his bacon.

He told me that if it was down the line, barrelling or mushy surf he'd ride his quad every time.
He said the extra deceleration and control of the thruster in the pocket in every day surf enabled higher percentage surfing for the judges.

My interpretation of those remarks was that quads have advantages in barrelling or down the line surf (extra drive and hold) and mushy surf (easier speed generation).

I'm not busting fins in the lip so there's no advantage for a thruster for me.

happyripper
regular

Post by happyripper » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:49 am

bohdidontsurf wrote:happy I live in sydney and have a few boards you would like .. come round anti will happily "sort you out"
No thanks. You hang on to your boogie boards. I'm sure they'll come in handy when your trying to pick up young boys in the holidays
tomtom wrote: Im daddy's special boy

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:29 am

happyripper wrote:I've got a S7 super fish quad . I love it. I'm thinking of getting a new bord . How do you reckon your bords woud compare. How much are they and what shops in Sydney sell them
Of course you have a S7..explains a lot...

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:21 pm

simplesimon wrote:ah I think Little is onto something here.
Yes the whole speed thing has much more to do with the flat rocker and wide tail than the actual fin set up iteslf. As someone else (i think NC in fact) commented once before on these forums, quads are not as fast as people think. It is the added hold and added turn reach that is the quads real advantage.
They certainly have their place and I enjoy riding them from time to time, but its always good to get back on a thruster too. Its amazing how much riding a quad can fr*k with your thruster surfing when you suddenly jump back on one. They both often take a slightly different riding approach.
I'd tend to agree to some degree.

I find main difference between quads and thrusters the dynamics through turns and the extra hold. I find that quads barely lose any speed through turns, where the thruster pivoting more on the spot tends to bleed speed off as you turn it hard. The quad is very very hard to slide out with M3/G1000 style fins too. That was from having two boards of very similar planshape, foil, demensions, etc. but the first a swallow thruster and the second a round-tail quad.

I was experimenting on quad vs twin-fin on one board a little while ago, and although the twin-fin felt like speed from freedom, the quad felt faster through turns again because I had more leverage to push off through turns (rather than the twin-fin creating a touch of slide every turn, losing a little speed in the slide).
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:05 pm

A particular mannerism ive found somewhat addictive with quads is there ability to 'consistently' return off the foam ball (after cutting back) with more speed than what they actually went into the manoeuvre with.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:18 pm

happyripper wrote:Sick looking boards. Whill they go in sydney surf. Who shapes them
That quote and question says everything there is to say about this goose....next he will be saying he rides a 7s.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:19 pm

happyripper wrote:I've got a S7 super fish quad . I love it. I'm thinking of getting a new bord . How do you reckon your bords woud compare. How much are they and what shops in Sydney sell them
There we go..7s it is...I am hearing the kook alarm go right off.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:40 pm

steve shearer wrote: They probably won't replace thrusters as go-to boards for the majority but there here to stay this time and in terms of step-ups/guns they are becoming increasingly common.

" this time" :lol: ....everything old is new again :wink:

nice post stevie....i wonder how many guys are buying quads just cause kellys riding them :?:

look wateva gets your rocks off....i prefer thrusters....having said that...my bloody quad went unreal today.... 8)

kelly...too me...is basicly just toying with the world

kinda u can't beat me on a thruster....so i'm going rode this dog give u a chance :idea:

for all the hoo haaa about quads.....they are yet become mainstream on the pro tour....so whats that say :?:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:13 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote: for all the hoo haaa about quads.....they are yet become mainstream on the pro tour....so whats that say :?:
What it says to me is that they suit high performance surfing by top class athletes. It doesn't say to me they suit the average backyard surfer.
But it does say that the sheep will follow.
Used to be a saying in motor racing. Win on Sunday at the track. Win on Monday at the showroom.
Pretty much the same in any sport. Everyone wants what the pros have.

Not saying you Fong. I also accept that there are plenty of surfers around who know what they want and are experienced enough to make it work for them.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Trev, I think you missed Tims Point.

He said there NOT being used by the Pros.

That negates your argument.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:56 pm

TrevG wrote:
mustkillmulloway wrote: for all the hoo haaa about quads.....they are yet become mainstream on the pro tour....so whats that say :?:
What it says to me is that they suit high performance surfing by top class athletes. It doesn't say to me they suit the average backyard surfer.
But it does say that the sheep will follow.
Used to be a saying in motor racing. Win on Sunday at the track. Win on Monday at the showroom.
Pretty much the same in any sport. Everyone wants what the pros have.

Not saying you Fong. I also accept that there are plenty of surfers around who know what they want and are experienced enough to make it work for them.
Ah a Trev moment.. Horlicks and off to bed for you sir.. And keep your finger off that delete button. :D
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:02 pm

steve shearer wrote:Trev, I think you missed Tims Point.

He said there NOT being used by the Pros.

That negates your argument.
No. I obviously didn't explain myself clearly. Actually lost the meaning by deleting too much of Fong's post.
I'm saying that, although thrusters are used by most pros, that doesn't make them right for the average surfer. From what I've seen, the quad appears to be a more forgiving board whilst still performing in most types of surf, therefore they are more suited to the average joe blow.
I've seen a few competent surfers who have never quite got a handle on thrusters but when on a quad, their surfing improves noticeably as does their surfing enjoyment.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.