Ode to the round-tailed quad.

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Slowman
regular

Re: Ode to the round-tailed quad.

Post by Slowman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:56 pm

disappointed wrote:Roller doors are good for the big stuff, and doors are good all-rounders but if you want something that will perform on those small fat days try a twin hinge side gate.
I found the wrought iron gate all right for towing in, but they really aren't suitable for paddle take offs.

disappointed
Grommet

Post by disappointed » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Slowman wrote:
disappointed wrote:Roller doors are good for the big stuff, and doors are good all-rounders but if you want something that will perform on those small fat days try a twin hinge side gate.
I found the wrought iron gate all right for towing in, but they really aren't suitable for paddle take offs.
If you are ever on the NSW north coast when a cyclone swell rolls through there is a place that holds over 10 foot that you could tow in at , it's called trapdoors

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon May 09, 2011 4:53 pm

Shearers review has inspired me to get one of these, it arrives in about 1 weeks time..... 8)
got a bit of colour that I've always wanted and finally gone ahead with it..... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:11 pm

few recent ones....
Image 8)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Those doors are very close to Simmons designs. I'd really recommend getting a vintage panel door if you can. The traditional craftmanship of a true panelled door makes them real works of art. Solid timber and a classic ride. Often chucked out for throw out day.
If you can get one with brass knobs and a matching knocker you'll have the Rolls Royce of surfcraft. Twin fin of course.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:15 pm

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:18 pm

selling my 6'0" x 19 3/4" x 2 9/16" Quadfather, its in immaculate condition, polish and tint, blood red board few post above, goes great but I need coin for some design work so a few have to go unfortunately.....PM if interested , it'll prob go to ebay in a few days otherwise... :(

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Just read this whole thread. What a mixed response!

All I can say is if the shit fits wear it. I ride (and make) quads as well as single fins and thrusters. On my own boards I like to set them up so I can ride them as quads or thrusters. I surf a wide variety of waves, from very heavy reef breaks to nice slow rolling surf. I switch my fin set up depending on the conditions I surf.

I find the quads great in small to mid size (2 - 5ft). When it gets over 5 I Sometimes find them too quick. On saying that, when it gets over 5 ft on some waves I've got my brown undies on and am looking for the fastest board I can find. Once again, conditions etc. When surfing the sucky reef breaks I love the way that extra side fin holds when I'm free falling down the face and waiting for the rail and fins to grab hold. Sometimes when surfing barrels on my little tropical island I switch to the thruster because I find the quad too quick and I have trouble slowing down and hanging in the pit (all user error I'm sure). It's just drop in, grab the rail and hold on.

So guys, share the love. Get yourselfs a 5 fin set up and try a few different things, it's amazing what it will do for your surfing and the understanding of your board and the waves you ride. You might be surprised at what you learn about your surfing and your equipment.

I'm not on Marks payroll, I make my own, but I've seen the boards he pumps out and I've seen a few guys on his quads that say it's changed their surfing for good...and isn't that what really matters?

Mick.

Oh, BTW, I'm not into the doors! What's next, Stand Up Paddle Boards?
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:29 pm

ledge71 wrote:Oh, BTW, I'm not into the doors
me neither, Jim Morrison was a kook

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:47 am

Jim Morrison hey ? the 27 club, think Kurt, Bon, Elvis, maybe Jimmy and now Amy Housewine, crazy to think all these musos gone at the same age of 27 ( could be wrong but heard this on the radio and it , the coincidence suprised me )....

ebay link to my QF for sale - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :MESELX:IT

8)

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:56 am

pridmore wrote:Jim Morrison hey ? the 27 club, think Kurt, Bon, Elvis, maybe Jimmy and now Amy Housewine, crazy to think all these musos gone at the same age of 27 ( could be wrong but heard this on the radio and it , the coincidence suprised me )....

ebay link to my QF for sale - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :MESELX:IT

8)
You changed your post Mark....... :wink:
Found the Slater pic huh?? 8)

Oh and Elvis was waaayyy past 27 but yes there is a "27" club.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:15 am

yeah, read back a few posts that I had missed and it made sense, Thought Pelvis was older but there were a few others in that club....shouldnt you be surfing at this time Trev ?
Spendin some time down your end in next few weeks Trev, doing some work for the olds' proerty magazine, so I'll be throwing the board in in hope for a few sessions at a few spots....might even see you at yours but think you are out of the water way before I'll even get down there...

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:16 am

pridmore wrote:yeah, read back a few posts that I had missed and it made sense, Thought Pelvis was older but there were a few others in that club....shouldnt you be surfing at this time Trev ?
Spendin some time down your end in next few weeks Trev, doing some work for the olds' proerty magazine, so I'll be throwing the board in in hope for a few sessions at a few spots....might even see you at yours but think you are out of the water way before I'll even get down there...
Hi mate, working in Brissie this week, except for today - I'm off down to Tweed Heads to catch up with some old friends (school old :oops: ).
They'll include Peter Turner if he's back from many months in Indo. And Duncan Miller a longboarder of some note down that way (and also an afficionado of old Holdens like yourself).
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:47 pm

Anyone notice the five finner Kelly was surfing in the Quicky New York?

It looked like his normal semi-pro five fin set-up with McKee quad placements, only he had it set-up as a quad with a tiny middle fin trailer making it a five-finner. Looked small like the fins MP uses on his semi-finless boards...

He was ripping too, no problems surfing top-to-bottom.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:29 pm

OK so I've read every quad thread in RealSurf because I'm looking at getting one, maybe two, of them....

If you reckon a quad goes fast, but too fast in big stuff, then is that why many of them have a five-plug setup? - throw the centre bastard in and slow it down. I'm actually thinking that two centre fins might work even better. Same board, extra hold, massive drive, awesome projection, and apparently you can surf Chopes on 'em as well. All I'm waiting for is for someone to ride one at Shipsterns (which seems to be the only f'ing place where my fave surf mag can take photos at the moment) and then I'll buy one.

PS: I've never ridden a quad, so I have no idea.

PPS: Yes, I'm taking the piss. Except about the surf mag - those guys are giving me the sh*ts no end.

PPPS: But it is true I'm getting one. I'll be adding the money saved on the SW subscription to fund it.
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:10 pm

kookster wrote:OK so I've read every quad thread in RealSurf because I'm looking at getting one, maybe two, of them....

If you reckon a quad goes fast, but too fast in big stuff, then is that why many of them have a five-plug setup? - throw the centre bastard in and slow it down. I'm actually thinking that two centre fins might work even better. Same board, extra hold, massive drive, awesome projection, and apparently you can surf Chopes on 'em as well. All I'm waiting for is for someone to ride one at Shipsterns (which seems to be the only f'ing place where my fave surf mag can take photos at the moment) and then I'll buy one.

PS: I've never ridden a quad, so I have no idea.

PPS: Yes, I'm taking the piss. Except about the surf mag - those guys are giving me the sh*ts no end.

PPPS: But it is true I'm getting one. I'll be adding the money saved on the SW subscription to fund it.
haha classic!

depends how responsive that rest of the package is. if its super fast you can just run your bottom turns longer and bleed off speed other ways rather than jamming the back foot down to slow down.

go and trial a quad shaped by someone who shapes plenty of quads, and if its a five finner make sure the plugs are set up to prefer a quad otherwise things will be a little off as a quad.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Got my roundtail quad (bing spork) as a pressy in august and iv reserved my opinion till now because franky it confused me. It was fast, but not that fast and paddled great especially in slightly larger surf 4'plus. Defo wobbly and insecure feeling off the bottom, but phwoar how good is it off the top! So good i fell the first time I tried a backside reo, it whipped around like it had no fins in it, very nice. Played with the fins and settled on the KS1 smalls and now its pretty much my go to board in most conditions. Great.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart