Fish or small wave performance?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

vicco

Fish or small wave performance?

Post by vicco » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:05 pm

Im looking for a new small wave board cause the last one I got is not really what I was looking for. Its a 5'10 and sort of in between a shorty and a small wave board. Too catchy and slow to build speed which is the opposite you want for small beachies. So now Im stuck between going for a board like Emerys stump model or something like the JR epoxy that was riden in ASL's board bible for a more performance based board. Dimension Im looking at is 5'8" x 19 x 2 1/4. The stump looks like heaps of fun for small weak mushy beachies espicially with a quad set up but does it surf well in anything else and what are those epoxy boards like cause they looks sick?
Heres the stump. http://emerysurfboards.com/board%20models/stump.html

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Fish or small wave performance?

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:40 pm

I prefer the look of the 50cent personally. It looks like it'll be a better small wave board with more tail area plus super flat rocker. Still a quad for the easy flowing speed in small waves...

All boards have a "range" of waves. Those boards look foiled nicely in the rails and with the extra hold of the quad fins it'll have plenty of range, but might sit on top of the water a little too much when it gets much bigger and more powerful.

Still, I've never ridden either. Just my opinion if it were me :)

What made you pick an Emery board, just curious?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

vicco

Post by vicco » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:20 pm

I saw it at a surf shop and it caught my eye. Felt really nice under the arm and reckon it would surf really well in mushy beachies. There really isnt much rocker on the stump it just looks perfect for average waves but still good for qoing top to bottom. Its got 5 fin boxes aswell so it can be surfed in either a quad or thruster and to me it looks more like a quad board and the bloke at the surf shop was raving about how fun they are in a quad. The thing is I was never intending to get a shape like that but more a higher performance board but it caught my eye and now im keen!

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:36 pm

It looks fun, but I still think the 50cent will surf better in small waves. The double flyer on the stump decreases the tail area, plus the wide-point is around the middle. These two things will make the board "sink" more when you use back foot pressure to turn, causing drag which you can do without in mushy waves.

The 50cent with its forward wide-point and extra area in the tail around the fins will make it plane on top of the water better, giving you more glide in mushy waves. You can still get the same width, thickness, length etc, but it'll have a touch more area underfoot.

The double flyer and swallow on the stump will create more hold when you turn as well, which is not really something that you need with a quad for small waves. With the extra fin area in the tail it might make it feel sticky. The extra area of the 50cent will give you that little bit more lift that'll make it feel more alive as a quad.

Just my opinion mate, its your board in the end :)

Call up the shaper and ask him about it, thats a better bet.

climbo
Grommet

Post by climbo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:38 pm

yeah man, the stump looks sweet. In either shit or half decent small waves. I've just ordered a board similar and a lot of local guys up my way love them. Go well in the crap but still rip in a nice face wave/shorey. 5'10"x 19 3/4"x 2 7/16", rounded square from RMS. Talk to Emery for sure, tell them what you want out of it and take their advice on board before you order.

vicco

Post by vicco » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Yeah I gotta get in touch with him. Im still undicided if I should with a rounded square epoxy board in a 5'8 or go for something different like the stump model. Wish I could ride a demo board but one of the blokes at the shop wouldnt give it back.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:59 pm

vicco wrote:Ibut it caught my eye and now im keen!

if it looks the goods...imo...they usually are :!:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

vicco

Post by vicco » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Rocket wrote:
climbo wrote:yeah man, the stump looks sweet. In either shit or half decent small waves. I've just ordered a board similar and a lot of local guys up my way love them. Go well in the crap but still rip in a nice face wave/shorey. 5'10"x 19 3/4"x 2 7/16", rounded square from RMS. Talk to Emery for sure, tell them what you want out of it and take their advice on board before you order.

RM's Torkpedo is his most popular model at the moment and it showed why with positive board bible reviews. The shorter and wider boards are far more versatile for the conditions that most of us face on a daily basis. Hopefully the Stump will go just as well.
Actually ended up going with RMS. Good price and got a sweet package price with a 6'3 double board bag for when I go to indo. The torkpedo looks like a sick little board ended up going with 5'8 x 19 3/8 x 2 1/4. Was thinking about going 19 1/8 but that extra width should make it more fun on the crappy mush days. Cant wait!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:47 pm

yeah, NC was enjoying one at the recent ASL board bible test... that RM shape looked nice and would be fun in the small beachies for sure.....like his shapes 8)

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:57 pm

What about a fat bullet from Bourton at Base? :D

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:59 pm

What I meant was has anybody ridden one - I'm looking for a quad performance shortboard so I don't have to ride my traditional fish anymore... I want to be a real surfer again with a pointy nosed craft!! I rode a quad in byron and loved it... desperately looking for a fat floaty, loose, fast down the line, forgiving of my occasional skill shortage board that suits a 6 foot, 75 kg 40 year old surfing east coast mush from 1 to 4 foot.

climbo
Grommet

Post by climbo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:09 pm

vicco wrote: Actually ended up going with RMS. Good price and got a sweet package price with a 6'3 double board bag for when I go to indo. The torkpedo looks like a sick little board ended up going with 5'8 x 19 3/8 x 2 1/4. Was thinking about going 19 1/8 but that extra width should make it more fun on the crappy mush days. Cant wait!
me either, I should have mine in a week ! :D

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:32 pm

monkeyman wrote:What I meant was has anybody ridden one - I'm looking for a quad performance shortboard so I don't have to ride my traditional fish anymore... I want to be a real surfer again with a pointy nosed craft!! I rode a quad in byron and loved it... desperately looking for a fat floaty, loose, fast down the line, forgiving of my occasional skill shortage board that suits a 6 foot, 75 kg 40 year old surfing east coast mush from 1 to 4 foot.
http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... ard+review

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:55 pm

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks Mark,

To my mind (keeping in mind that I'm just a normal everyday punter and you're a shaper!) your quad shapes (pictures above) look like they need to be driven forwards through turns because of the long straightish line from hips to tail, as opposed to the hips being further back with a shorter more curved line to tail which should have less hold but be looser with tighter turns... (which is more what I was after), what do you think? That's why I was looking at the bourton fat bullet... out of curiosity, have you got any More "voluminous" quads? Could you PM me with what you would charge for one?

Little
regular

Post by Little » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:53 pm

Monkey, I've got a Webber Minifish that I've fallen in love with. Just back from Crescent where it ripped 6ft Racecourse. Just too fast. I'm 51 and 95kg riding a 6'3" and I reckon I could go down to 6'. The only change I would make is to go thinner in the tail because it sometimes feels a bit corky or too high in the wave, although it is over 3" thick. Actually, I'd like to keep the length at 6'3" and trim it to about 2 3/4" thickness, then it would be perfect. I bought it for the usual Sydney slush, which it is perfect for but since it surfs a fair bit differently to a usual performance board I now just use it in anything because I can't be bothered adjusting. As long as you know what to expect it's fantastic! My best board ever.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:57 am

Little wrote:Monkey, I've got a Webber Minifish that I've fallen in love with. Just back from Crescent where it ripped 6ft Racecourse. Just too fast. I'm 51 and 95kg riding a 6'3" and I reckon I could go down to 6'. The only change I would make is to go thinner in the tail because it sometimes feels a bit corky or too high in the wave, although it is over 3" thick. Actually, I'd like to keep the length at 6'3" and trim it to about 2 3/4" thickness, then it would be perfect. I bought it for the usual Sydney slush, which it is perfect for but since it surfs a fair bit differently to a usual performance board I now just use it in anything because I can't be bothered adjusting. As long as you know what to expect it's fantastic! My best board ever.
I used to enjoy my 5'9" Mini-Fish too but had the same problem. Turns driving off the middle of the board were fine seeing as the concaves were so grippy, but hard back foot turns would make it sit on top of the wave and flat-slide slideways. It made it lose a whole repertoire of turns which I didn't like.

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Thanks for that I was seriously thinking of a webber mini fish but was turned off because I had an afterburner years ago that used to drift through turns in a weirdly out of control way in anything above four foot - had to tame it with fins off my gun! I'll go and have a look at one... Saw a nice bat-tail More at long reef today that looked pretty good too.