Mal Riders

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: Mal Riders

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:54 am

oldman wrote:In spite of the great paddling advantage of having a mal, most of them are ridden by fat gutted bloated lazy post-life crisis boomers, and they don't actually sit any further out than a committed short boarder.
I resent that :D

Rather go out on a mal when the physical and surf conditions call for it.

Not sure what your solution is fluffy, but has been said by others, wave pigs come in all shapes and sizes. We need SurfnTurf to train you in the fine art of the blue ice stare perhaps.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm surprised no-one's suggested the co-operative approach:-
Simply start a friendly conversation with the wave-hog, flattery is good. When the next wave approaches ask them could they let you have the wave as you haven't caught anything all day. Usually he will let you go - after all sets usually have more than one wave and he (it's always a he, isn't it) can take the next wave. You've each caught a wave and made a friend.
Disclaimer: assumes the wave-hog is not a psycho.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:23 pm

otway1949 wrote:We have a solid representation of mals down here most of the crew, slot in well and can handle the break and their wave count to be respected among all, the blow in mal riders just don't get the rhythm and sharing the locals have.

We are also very protective of our female surfers and our upcoming groms, ( they have to be reminded of manners occasionally)
We include visitors unless they transgress then aaaaaawking seagull **** by a flock of us.

Good news on another front there are quite a few 2nd hand SUPs on Ebay it remains to be seen whether this is from guys upgrading or quitting, hope it's the latter.
Hey 0ts.. Do you know the Prumms?
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:56 pm

While refining the "barrell chested seagull approach" at Cooly on the weekend, my 6'4 copped a fin through it.

It was utter carnage with 4 or 5 dropping in at a time... :(

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:15 pm

chrisb wrote:I'm surprised no-one's suggested the co-operative approach:-
Simply start a friendly conversation with the wave-hog, flattery is good. When the next wave approaches ask them could they let you have the wave as you haven't caught anything all day. Usually he will let you go - after all sets usually have more than one wave and he (it's always a he, isn't it) can take the next wave. You've each caught a wave and made a friend.
This is a great idea. Assuming the wave-hog isn't Nick Carroll who prefers to give snake eyes than engage in idle conversation.

And if it's Tom Carroll..... :lol:

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:24 pm

bumfluff wrote:While refining the "barrell chested seagull approach" at Cooly on the weekend, my 6'4 copped a fin through it.

It was utter carnage with 4 or 5 dropping in at a time... :(
Fluffy I surf at some of the most competitive breaks on the east coast and I lived at rainbow bay for a year.

It is about paddling with intention and showing you know what you are doing.
Taking off behind the rock using this method I didn't get dropped in on. (unless it was Mick, dingo, parko or that prick Bruce Lee!)

However if you blew a wave then all bets were off.
Hatchnam wrote:
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:19 pm

jimmy1501 wrote: Fluffy I surf at some of the most competitive breaks on the east coast and I lived at rainbow bay for a year.

It is about paddling with intention and showing you know what you are doing.
Taking off behind the rock using this method I didn't get dropped in on. (unless it was Mick, dingo, parko or that prick Bruce Lee!)

However if you blew a wave then all bets were off.
Yea taking off behind the rock is always best. I didn't blow the wave, I was sandwiched between two guys and had nowhere to go.. The guy on my left dropped in late and blew it, the guy on my right was a kook who went straight ahead.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:14 pm

Just remember Fluffy we are not all dicks.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:23 pm

bumfluff wrote:
chrisb wrote:I'm surprised no-one's suggested the co-operative approach:-
This is a great idea. Assuming the wave-hog isn't Nick Carroll who prefers to give snake eyes than engage in idle conversation.

And if it's Tom Carroll..... :lol:
Tried and tested at Lennox... doesn't work when the much older bloke with a raggedy beard just stares back at you with an expression that could kill a plant.
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:33 am

Had some good surfs this summer. A couple on a mal but mostly not. Went for a paddle on it the last couple of days and found myself bored and angry at insane unfocused kooks dropping in at the end of each wave, Surprised when you pop up next to them. Freaked out when you chip them about not dropping in.

Ultimately I shouldn't expect any more from them and I'm just getting angry because the surfs crap and I'm comparing it to better, uncrowded waves. Some days you should cut your losses I reckon. Who wants to be a grouchy prick with a bunch of tourists?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:38 am

I was speaking to a guy I train in martial arts with a while back at the pub & talk got onto surfing & he revealed he rode a SUP. After a somewhat awkward period of silence broken by me trying to be polite (honest, I did try not to be mean) & him looking ready for a fight (very defensive he was), he did reveal that he cops most grief from mal riders now that there's a craft that can snake & better pick up waves than they can. I thought that was pretty funny. Anyway a few weeks later we were sparring & the fcuker managed to break my nose. He swore it had nothing to do with anything I said about his surfcraft of choice, but I'm not too sure that he was being totally honest with me.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:53 pm

nuffink ngo wrote:Bumfluff
After reading of your knowledge & the years you haven't put in perservering to improve ,the presence of mals in the break would have little bearing on your wave count as your place in the pecking order would see you catch some of the waves the skimboarders have finished with.
:shock: :lol:

What colour is the sky in your little world nuffink?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:53 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
oldman wrote:In spite of the great paddling advantage of having a mal, most of them are ridden by fat gutted bloated lazy post-life crisis boomers, and they don't actually sit any further out than a committed short boarder.
I resent that :D

Rather go out on a mal when the physical and surf conditions call for it.
Dammit Ric, I thought I was throwing out better bait than to pick up a tiddler like you. I'll have to throw you back before the ranger comes around.

What do I have to do to offend somebody around here?

In all honesty, it isn't the mal riders, it's the social club surfers who usually happen to be riding mals. You know the types, out there more for a chat and because it seemed like a better idea than going to church. Just want to turn up to say they were out there. Make sure they get in the way. Threaten everybody with their lack of control over their craft and general proximity to a nascent dementia.

Sit in the car park you old buggers and talk shit there. You don't even have to paddle out. :mrgreen:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:15 pm

oldman wrote:
In all honesty, it isn't the mal riders, it's the social club surfers who usually happen to be riding mals. You know the types, out there more for a chat and because it seemed like a better idea than going to church. Just want to turn up to say they were out there. Make sure they get in the way. Threaten everybody with their lack of control over their craft and general proximity to a nascent dementia.
Yep. And they are usually the most opinionated out of the whole line-up. A bit like a back seat driver, who will comment on anything from technique to surf etiquette. They are obviously locals and the only reason the chargers havnt told them to piss off is because they spend so much time licking the locals arse holes. They usually stay out of the way but they always seem to get in the way on the paddle back out.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:56 pm

I think I just hate crowds. It turns me into a prick. I grew up surfing places with strong rips so hanging around the take off wasn't an option if you weren't a strong paddler.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:15 pm

I'm watching you fluffy. :twisted: :wink:
I surf a spot with several take-off areas and each suits different styles of boards, depending on wave size, direction and tide height.
So regulars (short boarders, mal riders andknee boarders all seem to get along and get their share of waves.
Not saying there aren't some kooks out there though..But hey, surfing at Snapper, what do you expect? :|
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:18 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:
otway1949 wrote:We have a solid representation of mals down here most of the crew, slot in well and can handle the break and their wave count to be respected among all, the blow in mal riders just don't get the rhythm and sharing the locals have.

We are also very protective of our female surfers and our upcoming groms, ( they have to be reminded of manners occasionally)
We include visitors unless they transgress then aaaaaawking seagull **** by a flock of us.

Good news on another front there are quite a few 2nd hand SUPs on Ebay it remains to be seen whether this is from guys upgrading or quitting, hope it's the latter.
Hey 0ts.. Do you know the Prumms?
Yup I come frum where the Prumms come frum.
Freya.jpg
Freya
Prummy pambula.jpg
Dean
Shot them a few times. :lol:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:24 am

Nice shots! My brother grew up with dean in cronulla and when I was a grommet dean sort of took me under his wing and took me surfing..
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote: