people who only surf in summer

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Slowman
regular

Re: people who only surf in summer

Post by Slowman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Sadly, I must admit I surf more in summer...just because there are more daylight hours. Wish daylight savings didn't exist I could be in the water at 4.30am and have 2 hours before work every day.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:08 pm

HOW WE COMPARED:

Maroochydore 1.1°C

Canberra 3°C

Perth 3°C

Hobart 4°C

Sydney 6°C

Brisbane 7°C

Melbourne 8°C

Adelaide 10°C

Darwin 18°C

Source: Weatherzone.com.au

surfed out front...early...boardies and a quality vest....not the normal brand name rubbish...good rubber

your all a bunch pussys/ i wear a steamer all the time cause i'm weak in the mind ...really!
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:32 am

Water here is still not too cold, just the wind that makes ya cold!

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:58 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:HOW WE COMPARED:

Maroochydore 1.1°C

Canberra 3°C

Perth 3°C

Hobart 4°C

Sydney 6°C

Brisbane 7°C

Melbourne 8°C

Adelaide 10°C

Darwin 18°C

Source: Weatherzone.com.au

surfed out front...early...boardies and a quality vest....not the normal brand name rubbish...good rubber

your all a bunch pussys/ i wear a steamer all the time cause i'm weak in the mind ...really!
I think you forgot a zero after the first one for temp in M'dore.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:03 am

Slowman wrote:Wish daylight savings didn't exist I could be in the water at 4.30am and have 2 hours before work every day.
That'll always be the dream for me
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:45 pm

speedneedle wrote:This wins the ice-nuts award.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HRQXPNv ... r_embedded#!

JD
For a moment there I thought they were speaking French but it was just that their lips were so cold their Canadian sounded French.....like a game of Frogger with those ice chunks...got to say looks f.u.cking boring though, going straight avoiding icebergs...kind of like how most people surf south Bondi.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:11 pm

^^ Swell of the year hit my fickle little strip of coast on Sunday. To put you in the picture... 38 degrees, 50km from the GPO, 90% of the employed & student population on Xmas holiday alerted to it 4 days out by Swellnet.

It was always gonna be carnage... :shock:

By Adelaide standards it was amongst the worst crowding i have ever seen, especially around 8am on Sunday morning. But this strip has around 20 spots you can surf on a day like that, seperated in some cases by less than 100m. I'd say there was on average 30 people out at each break... quick back-of-an-envelope calculation would suggest that's around 5 - 600 surfers squeezed into just 3km of coast. Superbank-esque figures.

Funny part is... at 10:45 I snuk down to a favourite left reef on the dropping tide, do discover the masses had largely abandoned it. Mates who'd just finished their session, guys who would have dominated out there, reckon there was easily 35 out there early, 20 before the sun was up. They had never seen any of them before... these guys live there... they know who's who.

Over the next 2 hours, crowd maxed at 7... with two exceptions all people I knew, everyone getting plenty of waves, good times. I only had to send one clown in, miraculous given the way the rest of the coast looked! :D

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:20 pm

dUg wrote: I only had to send one clown in, miraculous given the way the rest of the coast looked! :D
Could you elaborate Dug.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:28 am

steve shearer wrote:
dUg wrote: I only had to send one clown in, miraculous given the way the rest of the coast looked! :D
Could you elaborate Dug.
There was this guy flopping around on the inside on a surf ski, he looked like a WW2 pilot! He had a full 3mm wetsuit on ( it was 38 degrees ), hood, and what appeared to be flying goggles. I got one of the better ones a bit deep and had to climb over the second section... and I could see this guy trying to paddle out right through the break. Sure enough the foam hits him and he gets thrown off, pretty much right on top of me. I get rolled... he comes up sputtering like an emphysemic mumbai beggar, I come up fuming.

I didn't lose it though. i just calmly said to him "you do not need to be here. you need to go in. NOW."

His paddle had floated away and in hindsight, I wish I'd resued it... not to give it back to him, but to paddle it out to the back of the reef and let the dropping tide carry it down to Cape jervois and out to sea. Something for next time. :)

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:50 am

Ahh summer. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. :shock:

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:02 pm

So you'd like em to surf all year round?