Calling all the Big Blokes!

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

ronnieron

Calling all the Big Blokes!

Post by ronnieron » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm looking to get a new board and I wanted some advice/opinions on what dimensions and styles are best for the larger gentleman. I'm 6'4 and about 130kgs and I'm currently riding an 8'0 7S superfish, I want a shorter board so I can progress my surfing.

I live in Perth so I need to have a fair bit of foam underneath me so I can still surf smaller waves, which are all to regular here. I am thinking around 7 - 7'2, I don't really want another fish as I want it to be good in bigger waves, head high plus, when I go down south or over to Indo.

I'm an average surfer but I'm looking to get better. I've looked at CI and Firewire designs and they look awesome however with 3 longboards in the shed, the boss won't let me spend heaps on a new deck so any cheaper options would be handy.

Cheers guys, appreciate any feedback.

Ronnie

JET01
barnacle

Re: Calling all the Big Blokes!

Post by JET01 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Miller V-skate...

Grant Miller is a gun at doing high volume shorties for blokes in your situation.

www.waterskatesurfboards.com

I've had a waterskate and a powerglide from Grant, love the waterskate and still have it, but moved the powerglide on, wasn't a big fan.

Or look at getting a McCoy nugget. At 130kg you're going to need some foam.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:26 pm

ive got a copy of a nugget, shaped by carabine and glassed by bennett
feels really small and after ive been riding my mal for a few weeks.
I may get a bigger board, not sure what to get yet.
I rode a borrowed mini mal at g land at loved it.
might get something same length but pointier nose to get into waves ealier.
thats what the guys were telling me anyway. the nose was holding me back or something.
those miller waterskates may be the answer for me.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:14 pm

JET01 wrote:Miller V-skate...

Grant Miller is a gun at doing high volume shorties for blokes in your situation.

http://www.waterskatesurfboards.com

I've had a waterskate and a powerglide from Grant, love the waterskate and still have it, but moved the powerglide on, wasn't a big fan.

Or look at getting a McCoy nugget. At 130kg you're going to need some foam.
Agree on the V-Skate, got one of them from Grant and it is the best board I've ever owned. I only weigh in at 88kgs but he makes them to suit much bigger guys as well.

Add the fact that he is a good guy to deal with, asks you a lot of questions and listens to what you need, and the quality of the construction is top class and it is a pretty safe investment.

Just make sure you get a decent amount of glass on it.

Mine is a 7' one, I got it to suit fat and spillinng waves that span about 2 - 2.5 metres on the face - nature of most places where I surf in Victoria and it is really good. I've tried plenty of other boards since and none come close to it for my weight/weight/ability. I'll only ever buy off a shaper after dealing with Grant, the extra money is definitely worth every cent.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:46 pm

ronnieron wrote:I'm looking to get a new board and I wanted some advice/opinions on what dimensions and styles are best for the larger gentleman. I'm 6'4 and about 130kgs and I'm currently riding an 8'0 7S superfish, I want a shorter board so I can progress my surfing.

I live in Perth so I need to have a fair bit of foam underneath me so I can still surf smaller waves, which are all to regular here. I am thinking around 7 - 7'2, I don't really want another fish as I want it to be good in bigger waves, head high plus, when I go down south or over to Indo.

I'm an average surfer but I'm looking to get better. I've looked at CI and Firewire designs and they look awesome however with 3 longboards in the shed, the boss won't let me spend heaps on a new deck so any cheaper options would be handy.

Cheers guys, appreciate any feedback.

Ronnie
Mate I would suggest you check out this site... At your size I'm sure he'd have something to accommodate you..

http://www.olosurfer.com/

All the best matey..
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:08 pm

wat iggy said only mine has a crazy concave in the tail...like extreme

i've got hold a 6'10 performance shaped fish

and it's quite simply magic....surfin so much i'm now down 88 kg and already planning a 6'6 in the same design 8)

for when i lose a few more kilos
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:27 am

For gutless and small waves I'm a big fan of going shorter, wider and thicker..

I reckon you would have more fun on a semi-fish style board thats shorter, wider and thicker than what you're used to. Even though you're going shorter you can retain the volume in the board but keep the rocker nice and flat to see you over those weak sections, and then keep some planshape curve to still be able to turn. Going shorter will allow the board to fit into the smaller waves better and the lower swing weight will help you whip it around in turns.

I reckon it'll make a load of difference. More speed in small waves, and more freedom to turn and whip around the place.

The Miller Waterskate is a good example of what I'm talking about. Otherwise another good example is the Kritta by Pridmore here, check his "flat decks" thread in the equipment section. I reckon you're best to find a good shaper near you and have a decent chat about what you want, save on shipping across the country and get that surfer-shaper relationship going so that each board gets better and better suited to what you want.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

ronnieron

Post by ronnieron » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:26 am

Thanks heaps guys, some really good ideas and I really appreciate the feedback. I'll have a look at those shapers and get some ideas from them. A quick look at the V-Skate and it looks like it could be good. I'll chase some local shapers too and see what they are doing.

Cheers.

ronnieron

Post by ronnieron » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:09 pm

I've just found a promising deck at the local surf shop in town, it's one of the shop's designs and the dimensions are 7'0"x21"x3" - link http://www.starsurf.com.au/l356-0/surf/ ... r-monstar/

Might just do the job and the price certainly is right! The only thing I am cautios of is the thickness, it might be a bit cork-like?

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:26 pm

At 6'4" and 130kgs, you definitely want that amount of foam. Depending on the waves you surf though, perhaps it is a touch to long but the width and thickness seem about right.

ronnieron

Post by ronnieron » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:51 pm

Cheers Clay,

I reckon you're right, 3' should do a good job keeping me afloat. I'm pretty happy with the length as it should hold up in bigger waves down south or in Bali but it could be a touch long for those sick reo's and airs I am so awesome at... :wink:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:08 pm

this is my new baby...and i'm frothin on it :!: :arrow:

http://www.noosasurfworks.com.au/surfbo ... ck011.html

p.s hey ron....those boards look great and great price!!!....thing i think is u do adjust too a board and by buying local, if it's not working u can go back and ( in most cases) the shaper do u a deal on something that might work better :idea:

last thing a local shaper wants is locals surfing like dogs on there boards

u will get used the length :?: i still get frustrated with it...but too many other good feelings under my feet too keep me interested

thickness is a big deal...it can be thick as, but the rails can stop it being corky, needs skill in the shaping shed that one :o

all :arrow: ...imo :idea: i don't know shit :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:34 pm

some boards feel super corky...solomons for example :idea:

i had one kongs old boards a while back...his a fat bastard :lol:

great shape but it just was a corky dog ( reason good surfers sell there boards...cause they don't work) :idea:

i hate corky boards...really....feel ya pain ronnie :(

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:37 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:this is my new baby...and i'm frothin on it :!: :arrow:

http://www.noosasurfworks.com.au/surfbo ... ck011.html

p.s hey ron....those boards look great and great price!!!....thing i think is u do adjust too a board and by buying local, if it's not working u can go back and ( in most cases) the shaper do u a deal on something that might work better :idea:

last thing a local shaper wants is locals surfing like dogs on there boards

u will get used the length :?: i still get frustrated with it...but too many other good feelings under my feet too keep me interested

thickness is a big deal...it can be thick as, but the rails can stop it being corky, needs skill in the shaping shed that one :o

all :arrow: ...imo :idea: i don't know shit :lol:

Just out of interest Fong. How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
Hatchnam wrote:
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:07 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:wat iggy said only mine has a crazy concave in the tail...like extreme

i've got hold a 6'10 performance shaped fish

and it's quite simply magic....surfin so much i'm now down 88 kg and already planning a 6'6 in the same design 8)

for when i lose a few more kilos
Just answered my own question.. You are a kook who rides a 6'10 performance fish..

There is no such thing..

Go suck on your mums clit! :wink:
Last edited by jimmy on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:21 pm

i just don't get how people get that big.
at some point, you must get too fat to get to the kitchen, or through the door. who keeps on feeding them?

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:10 pm

ronnieron wrote:I've just found a promising deck at the local surf shop in town, it's one of the shop's designs and the dimensions are 7'0"x21"x3" - link http://www.starsurf.com.au/l356-0/surf/ ... r-monstar/

Might just do the job and the price certainly is right! The only thing I am cautios of is the thickness, it might be a bit cork-like?
I'm guessing that this is a pop out piece of shit.... go to see Ross at Longboards Scarborough and tell him what you want, he'll shape you a beatiful custom. He surfs all the waves you are talking about so he'll look after you.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:08 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:
Just out of interest Fong. How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

:lol: i'll be sincerly disappointed if this isn't a set up for a decent joke at my expense :lol: :lol:

88 kg...6ft

when i was playing footy i could never get over 80 kg....despite my coaches pleas and a dozen eggs and three steaks a day :cry: not mention the house deposit i spent on protein shakes and supplements :oops:

not playin....can't keep the weight off :roll:

ohh well....at least i've got a big dick :idea: ( 4kg in that alone :shock: :mrgreen: )