2O MILLION BUYING BOATS
GLOBAL WARMINGS CRAP
SO BURNING 'EMS JUST ANOTHER 20 MILLION UP IN SMOKE"
Apologies to Tim Finn

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Re: Jim Banks 6'9 hit the road 4SALE plus other boards

Post by oldman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:26 am

Does anyone here try to sell their boards on ebay?

Do they have any luck?

Got a few boards I want to get rid of and would like to try anywhere that might work.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:33 pm

oldman wrote:Does anyone here try to sell their boards on ebay?

Do they have any luck?

Got a few boards I want to get rid of and would like to try anywhere that might work.
Sold a fair few but as per usual most want it for next to nothing, even if the board is in "as new" condition. If you put it on too high a price no one will touch it & too low you'll get practically nothing for it...depends on the condition of the boards.

You also tend to get better returns in summer too or around tax return time.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:05 pm

oldman wrote:Does anyone here try to sell their boards on ebay?

Do they have any luck?

What you got Olds?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:59 pm

bumfluff wrote:What you got Olds?
An old 7' gun-style board which is about a decade old. Shaped by a mate from another lifetime. Has been in the garage for years and I'm sick of it taking up space. Cleaned it up yesterday and looks pretty good.

6'6'' Bamboo board. One of the originals custom shaped by Frank McWilliams from Byron. Pretty standard swallowtail, 19" wide, 2 3/8ths (I think), not dissimilar in shape to the 6'6' Webber afterburner, which I also have. Spider cracks in the rails but has been watertight and has no water damage. A couple of professionally repaired dings.

6'6'' Webber Afterburner. Could even be talked into selling the afterburner come to think of it. Why not, I want the space and I would like my garage to have only things that I am using. One of these 6'6'' has to go. Afterburner in excellent as-new condition, although it is about 3 years old. Not a ding and hardly a depression in it.

And the best of the lot is a very new hardly ridden Pure (RichQ) 7' mini-mal which I picked up on spec last year when I had some spare dollars and was visiting RV. 7', all quality construction and work, hand shaped by Rich, beautiful quality surfboard, genuine as new.
Wingnut wrote:Sold a fair few but as per usual most want it for next to nothing, even if the board is in "as new" condition. If you put it on too high a price no one will touch it & too low you'll get practically nothing for it...depends on the condition of the boards.
Cheers Wingnut. Appreciated. Suppose it can't hurt to try, and people will be getting their tax returns pretty soon. May be the right time.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:27 pm

oldman wrote: 6'6'' Bamboo board. One of the originals custom shaped by Frank McWilliams from Byron. Pretty standard swallowtail, 19" wide, 2 3/8ths (I think), not dissimilar in shape to the 6'6' Webber afterburner, which I also have. Spider cracks in the rails but has been watertight and has no water damage. A couple of professionally repaired dings.
Whatever happened to those things? I remember them signing up Sunny Garcia, but don't actually remember ever seeing pics or footage of him surfing on one. Googling doesn't turn up much either, except for a Hawaiian version, which makes me think the Australian one is no more. So how did it go anyway Olds?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:37 pm

They went broke.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:12 pm

Karlos wrote:Whatever happened to those things? I remember them signing up Sunny Garcia, but don't actually remember ever seeing pics or footage of him surfing on one. Googling doesn't turn up much either, except for a Hawaiian version, which makes me think the Australian one is no more. So how did it go anyway Olds?
A mate of mine was living up in Byron a bit before they came out, and he got on a course in surfboard making with Frank McWilliams (I think that's his name) which was paid for by the Centrelink equivalent of the time. Cool.

A few years later I saw a few around and checked 'em out and found out they were based in Byron. Had a few chats with one of the (two?) yanks who were mainly pushing it. They were sort of selling bamboo for everything they could, while Frank was developing the bamboo surfboard, which is layer or layers of bamboo over epoxy foam and glassed.

They are light as and strong as, ay. Well that is what I would say if I was a kiwi or a qld'er. Got a cool custom shape from them and they are just beautiful things. What can I say. Performs same or better than any board same shape, just stronger and lighter, and way way prettier, I mean, it appeals more to the sophisticated aesthetic. :oops:

They are, or were, a thing of beauty.

The story, as I understand it, is that Frank got an offer to make boards in Japan (I think) and went over there. One fellow at least tried to carry it on, I remember buying another bamboo board that was shaped by this later bloke, but it wasn't the same, and the bamboo era lost it's mojo.

I'm hoping Frank's ok, but heard that things didn't go brilliantly for him.

Sunny on bamboo backdoor.JPG
Sunny on Bamboo
Sunny on bamboo backdoor.JPG (16.85 KiB) Viewed 6285 times

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:13 pm

steve shearer wrote:They went broke.
Yeah, that's the abridged reader's digest version. :D

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Karlos wrote:Whatever happened to those things? I remember them signing up Sunny Garcia, but don't actually remember ever seeing pics or footage of him surfing on one. Googling doesn't turn up much either, except for a Hawaiian version, which makes me think the Australian one is no more. So how did it go anyway Olds?
The Bamboo boards were developed by Gary Young, the godfather of vaccuum bagged wood veneer/epoxy tech from way back in the 70's. He's snowed-under in history by names of crew who put their hands up harder and higher.

I met him at Bamboo surfboards Aust, on the way out as he and Frank McWilliams parted ways. There is where I first glimpsed the vac bagging method and the host of issues using bamboo brought up.

Gary still does his own thing, in Hawaii.

Good luck on the sale anyway...
JD

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:16 pm

speedneedle wrote:The Bamboo boards were developed by Gary Young, the godfather of vaccuum bagged wood veneer/epoxy tech from way back in the 70's. He's snowed-under in history by names of crew who put their hands up harder and higher.

I met him at Bamboo surfboards Aust, on the way out as he and Frank McWilliams parted ways. There is where I first glimpsed the vac bagging method and the host of issues using bamboo brought up.
Oh for sure. I only knew about the set up starting up at Byron and that Frank was one of the main players at the time. History of that development would have been a long one Josh. Interesting to know that your story connects there.

Even to my untrained brain I could work out that they must be a hell of a lot of work. Love the finished product though. No doubt yours would elicit the same emotion.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:59 pm

Hey Olds,

Forgive my OT diversion...Yes, I have an interest in the history of the tech.

I did a stint with Frank Mc at BSA...I don't have any beef with any of them and the business issues were not mine.

While you're interested, here's a pic of Gary Young...
1979dc-ericaeder-gy-wb1.jpg
JD

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:06 pm

oldman wrote:
steve shearer wrote:They went broke.
Yeah, that's the abridged reader's digest version. :D
Old's, for someone in HR that's quite amusing. :D
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:40 am

speedneedle wrote:Hey Olds,

Forgive my OT diversion...Yes, I have an interest in the history of the tech.
Hilarious, my whole involvement in this thread is OT, and I'm pretty sure that when Iggy first sold the Jim Banks board that I hijacked that as well. :lol:
jimmy1501 wrote:Old's, for someone in HR that's quite amusing. :D
Why thank you Jimmy. Here, have two of these. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:29 am

Olds, try ebay, the fees are low considering how many pople will see the boards, but dont have high prices, the asian rubbish is so cheap and people just wont pay much for 2nd handies on there unless it is special...if it doesnt work, maybe throw em in a shop on consignment, I sell quite a few for guys like that, especially at this time of year..... :idea:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:54 am

Thanks Mark, I'm going to throw a few on Ebay just to see if I can get a bite. Will even be throwing in one that I wasn't going to sell. If it goes I will just re-arrange my planning and maybe get something else. Have been fixing up a board that had a few ugly repairs in it and needed some lovin. Now it looks great and I'm wondering why I am planning on selling it! Ha. But it will be put up for sale, I just don't use it enought to warrant taking up space in my garage.

Have always had this problem of what to do with old boards. Have given a lot away, don't know why I don't try to sell them very often.

Did sell a couple through a shop last year. In between selling them and getting paid the business went under and I got about half of what I was owed. :roll:

And when I see the crap in the shops with price tags of $150 for a yellowed, dinged up, depressed, snapped and repaired board I do shake my head in wonder. Does anybody buy them or do they just sit in the shop as a pipedream.

Anyone sold through shops in the eastern suburbs? That will be my second option if can't get by from Ebay.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:28 pm

^^^^ Olds the guys from Surf Culture in Bondi Junction are nice fellas.. They sell boards on consignment I believe..
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

aquaone

Post by aquaone » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:52 pm

hey there,

I've been looking for a bamboo board to replace the 6'5" I've been riding for the
last five years. Mine was made in Byron Bay, also, I think shaped by
Frank McWilliams. It's a rounded pin, and really doesn't float me that well, as its
18 1/2, and 2 5/16. I need a little more floatation under my chest, but the board
is the best to ride once you catch a wave

I'd be interested in having a look at your bamboo 6'6".
My number is 0412-317421, and I'm on the central coast at the moment.
If you have a pic of the board my email is [email protected]

thanks,

Mark

oldman wrote:Thanks Mark, I'm going to throw a few on Ebay just to see if I can get a bite. Will even be throwing in one that I wasn't going to sell. If it goes I will just re-arrange my planning and maybe get something else. Have been fixing up a board that had a few ugly repairs in it and needed some lovin. Now it looks great and I'm wondering why I am planning on selling it! Ha. But it will be put up for sale, I just don't use it enought to warrant taking up space in my garage.

Have always had this problem of what to do with old boards. Have given a lot away, don't know why I don't try to sell them very often.

Did sell a couple through a shop last year. In between selling them and getting paid the business went under and I got about half of what I was owed. :roll:

And when I see the crap in the shops with price tags of $150 for a yellowed, dinged up, depressed, snapped and repaired board I do shake my head in wonder. Does anybody buy them or do they just sit in the shop as a pipedream.

Anyone sold through shops in the eastern suburbs? That will be my second option if can't get by from Ebay.