Semi-fish advice

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

trm85
Grommet

Semi-fish advice

Post by trm85 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:51 pm

After some advice on a semi-fish, i've been out of the water for years now and don't particularly know brands that well. Money is not really an option (and Roy, no 528k is not within my budget).

Anyone got a reliable semi-fish that they use regularly? Or know of one that's worth a crack?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: Semi-fish advice

Post by Davros » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:02 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by Davros on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:04 pm

[quote.[/quote]
Last edited by Davros on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:49 pm

I say find yourself a shaper who is going to have a good chat to you about what you want in a board. Doing that will be far less hit-and-miss than buying a model off the racks at your local surf shop.

Everyone here will have a shaper or three that they prefer and I'm sure you will get a range of recommendations. I prefer Mark Pridmore of MORE Surfboards, he shapes great semi-fish boards. Wait for a few replies, check them all out and see what you think of each of them :)

If you have some more detailed questions about what you want the board to do the punters and shapers here can be of more help :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Yep - talk to a shaper. I went through a few years only surfing once a month or so. Then I decided to buy a fatter board when work and family allowed me to surf more - to help me get back up to speed and fitness.

I bought off the rack, loved the board and the extra volume but after a few months realised it wasn't quite for me. Went through 3 more fattish baords (and $$$$) before I talked a a shaper who made me the BEST semi fish for me (MORE praise for mark - but yes it is a fatbat). Be honest with your shaper and you will get a great board.

Where abouts are ya?
Last edited by Topher on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:25 pm

Just to clear one thing up.
Mr Caveman is kinda talking out his a$$ when he states that getting a board off a shaper is less hit and miss than buying off the rack. Ok fair enough he wanted to give his buddy Pridmore another plug, but fact is by buying off the rack you can see exactly what you are getting. Talking with a shaper is good, but the shaper will only interpret what you have told them and it is no guarantee of the perfect board for you. In fact it can take several boards off a shaper before you can start getting the right board.
So buying off the rack can be a good thing if you don't already have a relationship with a shaper. With many 'brands' these day the board that you buy off the rack is the same as what you would get if you ordered that board custom anyway.

If you are not sure exactly what you want why not try a second hand board or two. if you don't like the board then you can get most of your money back, and then try another.
Most shapers these days charge $600 - $700 a board. There are some who will charge a fair bit less, but in many cases you get what you pay for. Plenty of 'cheaper' boards out there on offer. I checked out a couple last weekend shaped by one shaper, and yep I could see why the boards sell cheaper . Uneven rails, and one of the boards even had been shaped with a slight twist through the rocker. And as for the sand jobs on both boards...well most of the edges had been sanded off. Now that's not to say all shapers who sell their boards cheaper are bad. Just beware. If you have the coin (which you say is not an issue) then a good shaper, or board off the rack is worth paying for.

Goodluck.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:31 pm

^^^I should also mention that I have seen a few boards from some so called 'big brands' that have had quality issues too. One big USA brand that is ghost shaped under licence here comes to mind. But in general you do get what you pay for. Buyer beware.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:35 pm

Natho wrote:So buying off the rack can be a good thing if you don't already have a relationship with a shaper. With many 'brands' these day the board that you buy off the rack is the same as what you would get if you ordered that board custom anyway.
Thats assuming that you know enough about surfboards to pick a good one off the rack yourself, and match design elements to your own preferences comfortably without any guidance. Maybe the person in the shop can give you some good personalised advice, but I've talked to a lot of people in shops who are very good surfers but would never have the diverse understanding of surfboards of a shaper who designs a wide variety of boards. They often talk from their experiences of what they ride all the time, not from an understanding of design. If you can find one that does though, why not?

In my experience my boards were a bit hit and miss buying them straight off the rack, and even from shapers who don't do any more consulting other than an order form. When I finally found a shaper who was happy to really talk things through my boards became a lot more suited to what I wanted purely because I could ask questions about design and how it effects the ride, why this and not that. On top of that, and now that I've learned a lot more about surfboard design, each board gets better than the last because I understand what small changes might make it even better suited the next time.

I'm sure for someone like you Natho, who can pick a good surfboard just by looking at it and running your hands over it, its not such an issue.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

trm85
Grommet

Post by trm85 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. In answer to a question above, I'm in Cronulla. Are there any reputable shapers down this way?

As mentioned, price is not really an option - although the last custom board I got from a shaper snapped on my first wave after what I would have considered a fairly minor sand eating moment - so if i'm spending the doe, I'd like to know that's it's built well and can withstand a dumping or two.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:52 pm

I'd go to jacksons on capt cook drive and talk to Greeny or Jim or Dave and they will give you good advice. They had some really good looking quad hybrids last time I was in. Lots of good second hadies too. I reckon buy a few used ones and after you have worked out exactly what you want trade the second hand board(s) in and get a custom.

PCC at Taren Point have a good reputation but I have not had one of their boards before, but I've been there for repairs and they are top blokes too.

trm85
Grommet

Post by trm85 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Thanks Topher, might go check Jackson's out on the weekend.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:45 pm

Take the drive a bit further south and go talk with Phil Byrne, or grab one off the rack.

philw
Local

Post by philw » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:51 pm

trm85 - check yr pm, i got a local motion 'popsicle' for sale that might interest you.