Reckon its possible to over surf?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Reckon its possible to over surf?

Post by Grooter » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:25 am

If I've had a decent amount of waves within an hour I sometimes head in. Depends on what the rest of my day has lined up.

I've never over-surfed with respect to enjoying being out in the water, only in regards to how sore my arms and shoulders get if I've been out for a few days in a row. Although I can't remember the last time I did that. Kids and a demanding job mean I'm lucky to get a surf on the weekend or if I can arrange a work from home day these days.

Summer is the best, I'll often go for the crack of dawn surf for an hour during the week before work as it means I'll still get into work at a reasonable time. Just wish Victoria would fcuk off daylight savings so I could do this more often.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:36 am

[quote="Grooter" Just wish Victoria would fcuk off daylight savings so I could do this more often.[/quote]

This abhorrent aberration binds surfers from Vic and NSW together. Yet the outrage remains muted.
Sign o' the increasing emasculation and metrosexuality of surfers.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:54 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:00 am

A couple of months ago we went down to Sandon Point and I scored probably the best wave I've got there right at the start. Could easily have come in then but stayed out for an hour. I ended up getting stiffer and the tide changed.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:04 am

Braithy has become a southerner. Take it when you can for as long as you can

I also hate daylight savings, but this is a relatively recent thing. My work life balance until a couple of years ago mostly allowed me to get in the water whenever I wanted. The clock wasn't much of an issue so long as I got my work done. Then my boss had a kid. I agreed to take the reins for a year. She came back just 2 days a week so I'm sort of stuck with it. She's now about to go on maternity leave for another year and my workload will get even greater. Clients have expectations which means I have to be here much more than I'd like. If not for dls, I'd get more mornings in. The 'extra' hour of evening light usually coincides with surf-fcuking seabreezes

I've been seriously thinking of quitting for over a year, but I feel a responsibility to the few people working for me. None of them are in a position to be able to take control. Time will come when I put me before them. Just need a job allows some flexibility
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:07 am

I've surfed 8 hours in a day, and given the chance I'll happily surf twice a day for a week.
I rarely surf points, the crowds do my head in, so typically my surf finishes when I have to be somewhere else or the wind gets up.
Got some decent point rides recently, though, at Noosa and Greenmount. No laps for me, straight home once I jag a good one from the pack.
If it's inconsistent and I get a screamer, I come straight in.
Nothing like the day long buzz you get from finishing on a high.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:10 am

Re: the long sessions, surfed 5 hours a couple of weeks ago and still cannot lift a middy of light, shoulder is rooted, the swat team surfs of an hour the go.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:52 am

steve shearer wrote: I don't like boat trips because I don't like getting trapped on other peoples surf programs. I'd rather hang in the jungle at G-land and run my own race. If I'm feeling it I'll stay out for hours. If not, a quick wave or two then back in.
SS, what makes you think you have to conform to what others are doing?

Had a funny one recently where I was the only one from our boat surfing a left with guys from other boats/camps and our boat pulled anchor and starting heading off. One of the guys said, ‘jez you must be the quiet one on the boat’. Of course they were only taking a look at another break in the bay, and in time sent back the tender with a can of coke and a Bintang. :lol:

The beer was a little warm :twisted:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:56 am

Well, it has to be discussed where you are going to surf etc etc and when.

I'd rather sneak out off the jungle when everyone is having lunch and enjoy a few at Money-Trees.

Sloth taught me that.

I've spent too much time working on boats to enjoy being a tourist. Can't relax.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Braithy wrote:You know it takes 2 days for the rubber to dry out, and you know it could be another 2 weeks until you get waves again. Make the most while its there seems to be my new mantra.
Braithy, I'm not sure where your surfing down there, but I've got a mate down there who easily surfs at least twice a week and he'd go more often if he didn't have the distractions of work and wife!!!

He scored some wickedly fun waves this week.

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:12 pm

I'm nowhere near surfed out, but i'm definitely sick of being in the water these days. I've been a surf instructor for nearly 2 years and i need a ridiculous amount of motivation just to put a wetsuit on. All the time in the water has done nothing for my cold tolerance, i wear 2 4/3 wetsuits over the top of each other + booties whilst teaching and i still get cold.

Tough times.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:24 pm

Haz wrote:I'm nowhere near surfed out, but i'm definitely sick of being in the water these days. I've been a surf instructor for nearly 2 years and i need a ridiculous amount of motivation just to put a wetsuit on. All the time in the water has done nothing for my cold tolerance, i wear 2 4/3 wetsuits over the top of each other + booties whilst teaching and i still get cold.

Tough times.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:32 pm

Come on mate, we don't all have a thick layer of blubber to keep us warm :o

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:00 pm

I regularly surf too long. Just can't bring myself to go in if there's waves. Although crowds will get rid of me pretty quickly.
Nick's explanation of what happens to your body over 3 days helps me understand why I wear out sometimes. BUt I can get through it. Had a few periods where I've surfed for 10 -14 days straight.
And I'm better at the end than at the start.
However, two surfs a day is generally beyond me at 64.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:27 pm

Donweather wrote:
Braithy wrote:You know it takes 2 days for the rubber to dry out, and you know it could be another 2 weeks until you get waves again. Make the most while its there seems to be my new mantra.
Braithy, I'm not sure where your surfing down there, but I've got a mate down there who easily surfs at least twice a week and he'd go more often if he didn't have the distractions of work and wife!!!

He scored some wickedly fun waves this week.
Dude ... I've surfed every day this week except y'day. Most funnest waves since I moved here. Been like Indo.

I was just commenting it takes 2 days for the rubber to dry, and there is something more enjoyable about a surf when you start out with dry rubber. Maybe it's mental, or maybe it is warmer.

But there have been a few 2 weeks spells when nothing on either coast is surfable ... so you take it while its there.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:37 pm

I think a key problem with surf is that you often don't know how to plan your next week as you don't know exactly what conditions will be like, or your availability.

e.g. if I go snowboarding for a week, and I know that it'll be good the whole time, I've learnt now not to go really hard until the 3rd day
Did the same thing in a recent run of swell, eased into it, surfed myself silly at optimum times, and felt fine after 5 days straight.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:04 pm

One of these days Alice. One of these days.

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:28 pm

When I'm in Indo I'll surf at least two sessions a day, some days up to four. It helps being on land and in an area that has a more than a few options available through the whole tide, swell and wind spectrum.
The first few days I try to pace myself but I'm usually too excited to be over there and too stoked on there being swell and pitting waves to take it slow. Of course I know it's wrong and all the old crew sit back and do one sesh a day for the first few days, but I can't help myself.
Day five I spend in a coma, only rising to eat and have a kopi and a chat about any new arrivals in town and basically catch up on what the other guys had been doing
I fcuking love it!