Bonzers

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Fredo
Grommet

Re: Bonzers

Post by Fredo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:42 am

Here's my experience after purchasing a custom Bing Synchronizer from Bing in the US. Below is my email to Margaret (manager) and Matt (shaper) at BING. Funnily enough, if you go and read the board description on their website you'll notice the distinct similarities. CLICK http://www.bingsurf.com/surfboards_synchronizer

There are atleast 4 or 5 fin setups with this board, meaning you have like 4 or 5 boards in one. I've had this board for over 16 months now and I can't remember the last time I pulled a longboard out.

G'day guys,

Well, I received my board (Synchronizer) nearly a couple of weeks ago now with no damage, obviously thanks to the careful packaging by BING in the USA and then the re-packaging by Stephen for the last leg of the journey and have just been hanging out for the right conditions to surf it.

Managed to ride the board yesterday. As with riding most new boards the first few waves where a bit sketchy as I was just getting the feel for it. However, wave number 5 came thru. A fast overhead wall, tight pocket, clean face and a sweet dead section where you could roundhouse back into the pocket before a final fling across a sucky ledge and into a channel.

At the end of the wave I just layed down on the board and thought, "Did that just happen?" The squirt was amazing, the drive and smoothness thru turns was like nothing i've ever experienced in 25+ years of surfing. I was expecting to experience some sort of lag on the top-turn (like i'm used to with singlefins) but this thing had so much drive and snap.

Let it be said, I hate super loose boards, however the Synchro was loose yet so controlled. I noticed my surfing in just that 3 hour session had been taken to a new level not achieved previously. Even a couple of my mates where raising eyebrows in bewilderment.

I am glad I went with the extra quarter inch thickness - it's well hidden (rolled out to the rails) and it's predominantly right under my chest where it has made for easy paddling.

So, after all these years of thinking and talking about getting a 5-fin Bonzer, the moment of actually owning and riding one has really left me with a good taste in my mouth.

To Stephen - thanks mate for your assistance, taking my order and looking after me.
To Margaret - thankyou for my early enquiries, colour choices, professional and timely assistance.
To Matt - you truly have made me a wonderful board mate - i'm still absorbed in the curves and concaves. Cheers and beers!!!

Cheers

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:43 am

Looks interesting. What fin set-up did you use?

The cant is different to a Bonzer. Bonzers have quite a lot of cant so that the fins are upright when the board is tilted right over on a rail. This seems to have a more typical cant of a quad.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Fredo
Grommet

Post by Fredo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:03 pm

I use the 5-fin setup. I mean that's what the board was made for otherwise it's not really a Bonzer! Yeah, the cant of the bonzer side bites is what i'd call on a 45 degree angle.

I'm in the process of ordering the quad fins. I have ridden various quads and don't like the way they track the majority of time. Love the down-the-line speed of a quad but the tracking sensation lets them down IMO.

Here's one on eBay at the moment - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bing-Syncronizer ... 20b6dc33a3

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:53 pm

What a rip-off! Sorry, but $1'000 Buy-It-Now for a used board....

Pffft!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Fredo
Grommet

Post by Fredo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:57 pm

I paid roughly 25% less than what he is asking and mine was a brand new custom. Go figure!!!

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Last edited by Rustt on Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:51 am

I have a 6'6 C Bros Bonzer Egg. Speed and flow the name of the game. The bottm turn is super fast with tons of control and it draws fantatsic lines. Actaully the Egg is pretty good with late drop beachies thinking about it and becuase of its speed it will cut across the top of smallish waves for a fun ride. You do need to get that back foot over the engine room but its not totally unforgivable and a 1/8 inch or less adjustment in the single will make significant difference (so lots of fun fine tuning). The Cambell Bros recommend you get your first Bonzer similar to to the dims of your regular board. I didnt do this but can see the reasoning now due to how different the ride is. Shines is fast clean waves but dont discount on al types with this shape.