Takayama

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hozameen

Takayama

Post by Hozameen » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:19 pm

I heard a rumour that the majority of Takayamas we see in Australia are pop outs?

Im not one for rumours so can someone please clarify this?

Just the thought of said rumour, and the price tags, is enough to get me reaching for the bottle.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: Takayama

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Hozameen wrote:I heard a rumour that the majority of Takayamas we see in Australia are pop outs?

Im not one for rumours so can someone please clarify this?

Just the thought of said rumour, and the price tags, is enough to get me reaching for the bottle.
Oz PU/PE versions are done at Byron Bay under license by Tony Squirrell & his son, also does Bear in Australia. Interesting character, but that is not for these pages. :D Files are CNC cut and hand finished like most ‘name’ brands where the ‘name’ never sees or touches them or is aware of their quality... the Taks wound be a first class finish and they would want to be for the price.

Fair amount of Taks in Australia are Surftechs, you can define that as a ‘pop-out’ if you so desire.

You are paying for the name which is perhaps a worthy cause (apparently he was making a 6 figure royalty on the Surftechs years ago), that may have slowed up as I personally believe they are loosing popularity. God knows they are a p-rick to repair.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:57 pm

think some were being ghost-shaped by hand :?: in Currumbin and exported

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Nice looking boards but I'd be hard pressed to pay $1,100+ for an 5'10" egg that's ghost shaped...

lamesville
Grommet

Post by lamesville » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:47 am

Indeed they are CNC machine cut and hand finished by Paul Hutchinson in Byron Bay.
It is the same KKL machine that Donald uses in the States and then Tommy hand finishes them over there. Not too much shaping being done by the man himself these days, so the majority of his boards worldwide are indeed "ghost shaped". Just like all your Merricks and JS's that they say were "hand-shaped" by the respective shaper.
RV was correct in saying you are indeed paying for both the name and the quality of the product. You've just got to look at one of these boards to know what I'm talking about. And of course there's always going to be someone who does something better or knows someone who does better work blah blah blah. But the extra time is always taken to make sure they're up to scratch, and I'm sure Donald wouldn't have just any clowns making his boards. The guy is a legend.
So no, none of the boards made here in Oz are "pop-outs" and no-one in Currumbin or anywhere else is making them and exporting them. The usual old wives club rumours.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:27 pm

^ :lol:

that's me, my ears were flapping they make Takuras except now I can't find them anywhere not even in Currumbin and ship 'em.

What's wrong with that anyway :?:

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:43 am

I've never ridden a Takayama but man they look good, ghost shaped or not.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:06 pm

surely this is a longboard thing

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:39 pm

Most certainly a longboard thing...

But I have to add - I sprayed and finish coated many a longboard shaped by Paul Hutchinson at Bear in 1998-2000...Had my hands all over shapes by numerous names there, and Pauls were amongst the tidiest.

While no more likely to be touched by Takayama than the Bears are by the dude in "Big Wednesday", If they're making Takayamas then you are getting a top-quality product.

However, with that knowledge and IF I rode longboards, I'd be going to a local shaper direct for a custom.

Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

g-man

Post by g-man » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:08 pm

The Takays are made under licence at Northcoast Longboards, and Donald
is very strict about who does his boards, you can see some examples at Heritage Surf in Manly, they may cost a little more than the surftec but you get what you pay for

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri May 11, 2012 12:13 am

hows the quality control enforced :?:

wat blanks they using :?:
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Fri May 11, 2012 10:01 am

As has been said the pu boards are made up at north coast surfboards in Byron bay. Same place as bear.

I was there last month and checked out a fe boards. Was told that the don stopped shaping ov 5 yrs ago. That would only be from Hawaii anyway. All Oz boards are shaped by employed shapers of north coast.

Great quality but I wouldn't be paying the $$ if it wasn't the don doing the shaping.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri May 11, 2012 2:31 pm

Glamarama wrote:Great quality but I wouldn't be paying the $$ if it wasn't the don doing the shaping.
Then no Tak for you young man.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri May 11, 2012 6:03 pm

Read on Swaylocks or somewhere that Al Merrick insists his boards are glassed with UV Resin. Don't know if its true but they seem quite spongy.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Fri May 11, 2012 6:21 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Glamarama wrote:Great quality but I wouldn't be paying the $$ if it wasn't the don doing the shaping.
Then no Tak for you young man.

2nd hand?

saw one on evil bay, the claim was shaped by the don himself. how do you know? the seller told me the difference is on the stringer in pencil it reads 'donald takayama' vs just DT. asked at the factory when i was up there. apparently up until 5 years ago or so the Oz made boards said..........................you guessed it 'donald takayama'. the don insisted they change it to DT.

so no way i know too know the difference?

only 'name' shapers that i can think of that man handle their brand boards are mccoy, van stralleen, mackie. sure there are others.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri May 11, 2012 8:46 pm

well....stencils never lie :roll:

a sig on the bottom means little

if the boards correctly made....sometimes the ghost shaper can replicate the design better than the master :idea:

wat blanks they using :?: cheap shit blanks are a giveaway :roll: the rest the quality the production process :!:
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:55 pm

jimmy wrote:hows the quality control enforced :?:

wat blanks they using :?:
There's no weak links in Takayama quality chain.......Nth Coast is pretty renowned for their quality....they don't cut corners at any stage of production....I think the Aus Takayama's would be some of the finest surfboards available in the world today........

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Beanpole wrote:Read on Swaylocks or somewhere that Al Merrick insists his boards are glassed with UV Resin. Don't know if its true but they seem quite spongy.
not true. I know a shop that does (by does i mean scrub the machine shape, glass and finish) a share of his sydney stock and they were all regular PE. Funny thing, the shop i know got told by CI to reduce the quality of the finish, because they were making other CI's look bad! haha good attitude for an $800 PU/PE off the rack board.