Pig Dogging

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

onawave
regular

Pig Dogging

Post by onawave » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:38 pm

Sorry if this has been posted before, but ive been trying to practice this in the surf we have had recently... for a trip i have coming up to indo this year....

basically take off straight into pig dog.... anyone got some hints and tips on this?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Pig Dogging

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:20 pm

The only thing I want to add is - don't put your back foot straight, leaving the top of your foot flat to the board. If you do its a bitch to get back up to your feet again if you have to straighten up and surf the rest of the wave.

Instead, keep your back foot on your toes. That way all you need to do to stand up is drop your heel down.

I blew many waves until I figured that out. It was pretty funny getting a really nice barrel, coming out screaming along, and then looking like I can't stand up when I try to get up (followed by a face plant).
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:57 pm

how you pigdog will depend on what kinda barrels you are surfing. its not one size fits all, and takes more than a few months to master.never really thought bout how i do it, but ill try to explain. personally, say the wave is gunna barrel from takeoff, ill paddle hard with a couple of extra strokes to get down the face a touch more, especially if its a sucky takeoff, as i move into position, my front foot is pointing at say 10 to 12 0r 5 to 12 on a clock (im goofy). grab the rail a bit behind front foot generally, and open my chest to face straight down the line. back leg has the dropped knee, but i think my back foot is generally in its normal pos, only i lay it over onto the ball of foot,big toe/arch more,for slower barrels or twist and point foot straight and stand on toes if wanting to race it. ill drag my shoulder/ arm as well if wanting to slow down, or for racy tubes point arm to exit, lean forward more and head for daylight. i also tend to pull in lower down in the barrel as it will suck u up the face once u are in. u can dodge the lip down low, and adjust your line, if your to high, u wont get back down and will get sucked over falls. longer tubes you still need to thread or pump to maintain speed.
if you get in pigdog pos a bit early, u can end up outrunning the tube, and feel like a dick, so if u find yourself in that position, i tend to bury arm into wave and let tail slide down the face abit i think,and pull up slightly on rail. once the lips starts to throw over you, take arm out, readjust tail/rail and sit back and enjoy the view. :!: 8)
practice pulling into closeouts everywave you can to get technique correct. then when waves are good, you just gotta practice gettin out.
youll prob only get goofies to eply to this...natural footers cant get barrelled backhand.....wiiiiiiiz...plop..... :lol:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:56 am

ah brendo brendo brendo. when will you learn. we only tolerate goofyfooters because we feel sorry for them :lol:

pig dogging off the takeoff is a bit overrated and over practiced imo, especially in waves of higher quality

generally the big error with backside tube riding of all sorts is too much forward weighting and this is exaggerated in a pigdog stance.

try to relax and keep everything pretty soft and loose. Think of the rail grab element purely as a way of opening your shoulders to the line you're drawing. You don't need to be clinging to the board like a drowning man, just a hand on the rail is fine.

and practice practice practice. pull in on everything that moves. it all adds up.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:06 pm

The good thing a about being a goofy is..it ain't natural..
Anyhow, I dunno about you, but I just do it naturaly when there is a critical take off, never practiced jus started doing it on the serious ones.I find it harder when I try to pick up a wave and do the arm drag thing to slow me down in an effort to get deep, grab the outside rail and jam the right arm (F'off NC) in the face. Get it right and its all time, get it wrong and it a short trip to painsville.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:05 am

this was a small day at afulus, 2007.
^^^^ agreed chillin', i won't score many points off Nick either.
but this day, and on this wave, i had to squeeze into the small barrel & it was breaking quite fast on the low to mid tide, so double rail grab (would you believe rail grab & hand plant!) & leaning all the way forward for the extra speed was essential. also agreed chillin', that it takes a commitment. leaning this far forward, if i'd have stuffed this, it was a chest plant on the reef.
this day i hit the reef about 3 times, once was a chest pounding being pinned down until it let go. the third time i got my foot stuck in a hole & tore my medial on my left knee. ice for the knee, bintangs for the pain for the last day of this trip.
the fact that the wave ends on dry reef, since the 2005 earthquake, didn't help either.
Attachments
afulus pigdog.JPG
squeezing in there...
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:34 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
and practice practice practice. pull in on everything that moves. it all adds up.
was that some dating advice from the mighty NC? :D
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.