C - Drive Fins

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: C - Drive Fins

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:17 pm

bohdidontsurf wrote:Don, dont know what set up your using but the smaller quad rears sort the stiffness issue with no loss of drive. I surfed my 5'10 quad today with the smaller rears and was easily making it past sections that others werent. Once out on the shoulder the board was nice and loose. Good to see Don you are feeling the same sensations I do, just confirms the designs merit.
Mate, is your PM box full? Do you still have that spare set?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Mark,

I've just FAAARRRKKKEEEEDDDD my back so I doubt i'll be surfing my quad father for a while. Looks like i'll be on the Longboard & Waterskate until i can get my core strong enough to surf a shorter board.
If you'd like a lend of my Medium C-drives, just text me your preferred postal address and i'll post them up on monday. I know they aren't the full quads you'd probably prefer, but it'll give you a start.
I should be good to go in about a month or so, would that be long enough for you to do some testing?
I could be repeating myself here, but Troy said the rears should be available late August.

Either way, up to you Mark.
Last edited by JET01 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:48 am

firstly, sorry to hear bout the back injury, but at least you can still surf hey ......
also thanx alot for the offer of your fins but to be honest I have got enough on my plate right now with design and testing as well but I really do appreciate the offer, but would be best to try their quad set as thats what I am interested to feel, see if they are as good as some people say, then possibly utilise them with some of my current quad models....but funnily enough, I am mostly surfing finless lately or with 2 tiny little half fins, 2 extremes there hey ?, more fins or no fins....but I have even got myself a fun little 5'11" thruster atm, which I am really enjoying too..... but they are glassed on otherwise I may've been tempted.... 8)

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:10 pm

bohdidontsurf wrote:Don, dont know what set up your using but the smaller quad rears sort the stiffness issue with no loss of drive. I surfed my 5'10 quad today with the smaller rears and was easily making it past sections that others werent. Once out on the shoulder the board was nice and loose. Good to see Don you are feeling the same sensations I do, just confirms the designs merit.
Bohdi, I've got their smaller quad foiled rears and medium fronts. Last surf was in some very sucky and quite powerful barrels and once again their ability to hold their line in steep waves and enable you to ride very high up the wave (hence generating even more speed) is pretty damn good.

Gonna ride em again tomorrow so let's hope Huey delivers something nice and sucky again!!!

Oh and Mark, if I wasn't having such a ball on them myself, I'd send my quad setups down to you to trial, but unfortunately I won't be letting these puppies out of my sight for some time to come. Sorry!!

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:56 pm

yeah don !! they are an eye opener for sure...pretty clever design really .. I rode mine today in sucky 2-3ft and they are fast man .. I will shut up now

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:41 am

Scored some fun waves again this morning although had a shocker for the first 45min-1hr as got pitched on most waves as they were closing out leading up to the 8am low tide. Surprisingly right on low tide, it actually got very peaky and that's when it all came together again with the fins. The ability to generate speed in down the line sucky/racey waves still astounds me with these fins. Would so love to get them in a reef/point break!!!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:40 pm

I got a quad set headin my way next week, should be fun trying them out...now which board ??? :)

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:27 pm

Good work Mark. Can't wait to hear your feedback on them as well. Now you just need waves!!!!.......although it ain't looking that great.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:24 am

I am pretty lucky with waves round here, very rarely that I cant find something ok to surf....keen to try these fins out but its gunna be hard to stop myself from surfing finless, even got a new board the other day and it goes great but still have to take the finless with me for a few waves every sesh,it got me hooked haha... I dont have a QF atm but plenty of quads so I'll chuck em in something and give em a good try as soon as I get them, next week they are saying.... it'll be interesting to see if they suit my fin placements and which boards they work well with.... :?: 8)

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:16 pm

yes use them on the stretch ... use them on everything from a quad fish to a snub nose shorty , regular shorty, and a step up quad .. I love them in all my boards ... you feeling the love too hey don??

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:31 pm

bohdidontsurf wrote:yes use them on the stretch ... use them on everything from a quad fish to a snub nose shorty , regular shorty, and a step up quad .. I love them in all my boards ... you feeling the love too hey don??
Probably not as much as you Bohdi as I only ride the one board and at best it's once a week so I have to save my love for it then. Still would seriously love to score them in some very nice down the line reef/point breaks as I reckon you'd just go insanely crazy with the amount of speed and holding of the high line in the barrel that you can achieve with these puppies.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:57 pm

I'm going to check out a quad set made up of medium fronts and small rears, can't wait after reading you guys frothing over them :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:47 pm

Im the same and would love to try a sset of these fins one day on my board.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Sounds intriguing. Who's using these in a thruster? Been riding a 6'4 thruster a bit recently after spending a year or two mainly riding fat 2+1's, a little twin and more recently a brilliant fat quad. The shorty has been fun in better waves, but I miss that high line speed run feeling. Prob impossible from a shortboard but Does the long base in these fins help a bit with that?

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:02 pm

topher that is exactly what they do .. the longer base creates drive and speed as well as hold .. I ride mostly quads and these fins give you the same high line you get from quads when ridden as a thruster get on them

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Sold. Alrighty - got a set in the thruster, hopefully get a quick wave in tomorrow. The base on these thing is LONG!

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:30 pm

Topher wrote:The base on these thing is LONG!
Yep, and you should see em on a quad. Looks a little out of place with so much base on the fins on a quad, but who cares how they look, cause once under water, they perform damn well, IMO.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:16 pm

got me a set today, look nice, pretty keen to see how they go....I have sooo much goin on with trying diff stuff atm its unreal......

topher, your fins have been in the wagon for a while now but just havent made it into the water, so hooked on my finless trip, but they are definitely getting a run this week if waves play the game... 8)