C - Drive Fins

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

Re: C - Drive Fins

Post by pridmore » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:35 pm

haha...sometimes the business owner tells the web guys to do it, but they take forever.....but i know what ya mean.... :roll:

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:26 am

pridmore wrote:haha...sometimes the business owner tells the web guys to do it, but they take forever.....but i know what ya mean.... :roll:
typically that's because the web guy still hasn't been paid for the last 5 updates despite invoicing for them months ago. :roll:

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Wow Mark your webguy is going to have some work to do...

No mention of The MP3, Critter, or Finless creations you've been working on... Putting pics on your website will get the kids involved, and well now that i think of it... blokes like me. :roll:

Looks like Shearers Quadfather was the last update.

I'm starting to think that i need to get into webdesign... seems there's S#@t load of work out there for a bloke with the know how...

Speaking of C-drives... I've taken them out of my quadfather... going to go back to normal fins...
Might just use them in a different board from now on. Not sure which one though... they didn't work in my biscuit as well as i thought they were going to, I like the feeling of the MR TFX quad set up better.

Might have to try them in the waterskate.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:01 pm

yep, looking for a new guy asap, putting the feelers out there.....

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:34 pm

Quads are on the website now.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:48 am

To drag up a thread from the dead....

Which size rears are people using in their quads? I'm getting a set for my Firewire quadfish. Its a 6"2', and is used mainly in smaller crappy stuff.

The quad sets the c-drive site offers ;

- Small (PG3)
- X Small (PG2)
- QS (SX)

Cheers
Damo

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:10 am

damo666 wrote:To drag up a thread from the dead....

Which size rears are people using in their quads? I'm getting a set for my Firewire quadfish. Its a 6"2', and is used mainly in smaller crappy stuff.

The quad sets the c-drive site offers ;

- Small (PG3)
- X Small (PG2)
- QS (SX)

Cheers
Damo
What fin sizes are you using already? That will give you a pretty easy comparison.

I haven't tried C-Drive fins yet, other people will be better to chime in than me, but I think you'll need about the same fin area as your usual favorite set-up, otherwise it'll have more or less hold.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Hey man, Ya talking about rears, or the full sets? The cdrive sizing is pretty easy, s,m,l,xl - email them if you have a question.

For me I used a standard cdrive quad medium set in a 5'11 firewire ElFeugo for a year and they went great. Heaps drivey and fast. A 6'2 fish is pretty big though, so maybe you should be looking at a large set, or medium if you like it loose.

I have a set of the smaller quad rears that i tried with the medium fronts but they lacked the drive that i was used to.

Don't have an appropriate board at the moment so I am thinking of selling my cdrive sets too........

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:28 pm

Toher, - Yep, I was referring more to the rears.
I ended up going for the standard quad set, where the rears are only marginally smaller than the fronts.

Only two surfs on them so far but I'm really happy. Not sure that I can accurately explain the difference to the previous M5/M3 setup, but I like them, kinda loose and drivey!

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:27 pm

Just snagged myself a set of C-Drive fins. I managed to get the M3/GX quad set equivalent. Looking forward to trying them out in a couple of weeks when my knee is ready for surfing/wipeouts :)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:51 pm

be interested to see what ya think coz I tried em in a Swinger, a QF and a Fat-Bat and you have 2 of them so would be interested to see if our thoughts align with fins and board design as usual.... 8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:07 pm

Yeh, I'm keen to see what they're like. They're the C-Drive small fronts and Quad QS rears, the equivalent in their sizing of M3/GX. I'll be pretty keen to see what its like. The perfect test will be the Swinger because I'm already surfing PC-3 and G1000, quite similar really...

What do you think of them after trying them out for a little while MP? You were using the medium fronts and small rears right? Thats the M5/M3 equivalent.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:11 pm

yep...but they didnt give me the feelings and perf that I wanted from m y boards, werent for me but thats not saying that arent any good, just not suited to me and how I want my quads to surf........

you get the email with the Fish-Finger pics, you shaping yours still ?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:17 am

Yeh, I liked the little channel down the middle too. Looks super fast and fun! :)

Shaping has been put on hold. Most of my weekends are being taken up by helping out my family to clean out a house to get ready to sell. It'll be a good few weeks until its finished and I have the time to shape.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:12 pm

Man they're small looking fins when you take into account the reduced area around the tip. I have the Small fronts and Quad SX rears (80/20 foil), and the front seem similar to an M3 in "general" fin area stats, and the rears are a similar fin area to my MR-TX rear fins.

Hopefully it won't be too skatey with such little area around the tip, but I'm about to find out!

What I'm not too sure about is that although they match up in fin area to other fins I've liked for certain boards, the tip has such a reduced area I'm not sure how it'll behave once the boards on rail and the base is less engaged with the water. I'll find out I guess :)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:44 pm

Sounds fun! I'm always up for some release, slip and slide in small waves! Makes it much more fun... Not so fun when the power comes in though...

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:20 pm

Just had my first with the C-Drives today in 2-4ft semi-fat windblown waves. There were some little runners out there but nothing too huge or powerful, although some of the sets were overhead. Just a little flat and fat on most waves.

It will take more sessions to get the feel for them but so far I really like them. Its a little strange because when you load the rail and drive into a turn the longer base kicks in, giving lots of projection and drive but also making it feel a tad tracky. I think thats also because the FCS tabs are placed so the extended base ends further back than normal.

During lighter and slightly unweighted turns I had some moments of pure buttery smooth brilliance. It felt like a perfect amount of release to casually drive and drift through cutbacks as needed.

I did a couple of hard hooks right in the pocket and I still haven't figured out its behavior in these turns yet. First turn it locked in nicely and drove around the turn beautifully. Second time the wave was a little steeper and I was jamming it a lot harder, and the first part of the turn felt locked in a solid and then suddenly the wave steepened a little more causing sudden slip and release. It send me flailing around trying to recover the turn and keep the nose out of water (but I did it). Not sure what the turn looked like but it was damn fun.

What I thought felt a little weird was how it goes between feeling really solid, drivey and almost tracky, to releasing to buttery smooth turns, and other times more sudden slipperiness.

So far so good though, I like it more than my usual M3/G1000 or M3/MR-TX combos :) Slightly faster without the added stiffness from more fin.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Second surf was good, smaller 2-3ft runners but slightly fat on the shoulder. I like it again..

I'm still getting used to them because they alternate between slightly tracky to loose with release. I suspect the backfoot sweet spot is a little further back now seeing as the base goes back so far.

It was interesting up in the lip. Again, a fully loaded rail up in the lip had plenty of hold from the base engaging, however a flick in a foamy section or up in the lip releases really easily.

I hate to say it, but it does reduce the stiffness in the tail many quads can have...

More testing to come!