C - Drive Fins

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

bohdidontsurf
Local

C - Drive Fins

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:52 pm

Really just passing on the stoke, I got myself a set of those C - Drive fins after I saw them in the ASL board review. One of the best things I ever did. They look weird but they work so well. Been using them in my fish but now using them in all my other boards. I like them so much I am selling some of my other fins to replace them with C - Drives. I know Nick C has used them and would be very interested in what he thinks. Apparently Dean the Dingo Morrisson is all over them....... maybe even a WCT debut? They look like they would track but they dont at all , super drivey and pivot like a very upright fin, best of both worlds. IMO these are not another H2 type fin where they look cutting edge but dont really work. These are the business and before you ask, no I dont make the bloody things.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Re: C - Drive Fins

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:54 pm

Just in case anyone wonders what the hell a C Drive fin is

http://www.cdrivefins.com/

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:32 am

Sounds interesting..I like the theory.

MP is pretty keen on C-Drives as well. I might have to give them a go!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:17 pm

I get the feeling that the small set in front with G1000 rears might be fun..

Only one way to find out :)

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:36 pm

looks like a cutaway fin, only for a fin system instead of a finbox.
can't see why it wouldn't work.

i love smallish (6-7.5 in) cutaways in my small single and 2+1s.
not big on the terminology so might be using the terms out of place, but you get the drive from the depth, but can turn a lot better in waves with more push.

i've been looking for a similar feeling in my other boards, will have to check them out...

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:10 pm

Just for the record Deano is all over standard glass on fins far more than C Drive or the like.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:05 pm

tried several diff combos in quads without finding anything that felt better than standard fins, although they supplies a shiteload of drive....I think they were too big for a quad set up like I had, plus other things in the board....I reckon they have lots of potential but when I tried em in the quaddies, didnt do it for me.....but in saying that I havent tried them in a thruster.....yet...

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:57 pm

Ive got mine in a quad set up with Medium fronts and small rears. I hear they are going to do smaller rears for a quad set up soon, like next month or so. I will be all over them when they are out. I will post a pick when I work out how to shrink a file.

axolotl

Post by axolotl » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:45 pm

i got a set a couple of weeks ago and i'm really happy with them in my small wave board.
but today i put them in my shorty and while they had fantastic drive i felt they tracked a bit.
i'm going to try them with a smaller standard trailer fin next to see how they go

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:15 am

Axolotl, was that in a quad or a thruster? They are bringing out smaller rear quads next month. Funny I have not felt the tracky-ness and that is with mediums in the front and smalls in the rear in a quad set up. Each board is different though. I have been using them in my regular quad go to board and whilst it looks like a lot fin, its doesnt feel like it when I surf them and the drive...........almost too fast !!!

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:05 pm

Sounds fun bohdi!

What sort of quad are you using them in? A wider-tailed rail-centric?

axolotl

Post by axolotl » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:30 am

Bohdi , its a thruster.
To be fair i generally ride my boards with a smaller trailer so it was more fin than i generally use.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:37 pm

All boards have all been stringer centric quads . I have been using the fins on a fish and my regular 6'2 shorty . The more I use the more I am loving them. really looking forward to to using them in some bigger surf - just can't fault these fins! Nick C what did you think of them?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:25 pm

bohdidontsurf wrote:All boards have all been stringer centric quads . I have been using the fins on a fish and my regular 6'2 shorty . The more I use the more I am loving them. really looking forward to to using them in some bigger surf - just can't fault these fins! Nick C what did you think of them?
Interesting....What fins would you normally use in your 6'2", if you weren't surfing C-Drive medium fronts and small rears?

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:19 pm

fins I use depends on the surf - mostly use k2.1s in beachies or more top to bottom surf and would normally use k 3s in bigger waves bit best thing about c drives is the one fin set feels really good in both smaller and larger surf! really looking forward to using them 6 foot +

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:56 pm

C-Drive, felt like a good fin for a miniboard (cut down hi per), long base helps drive and hold in longer down the line turns which is where miniboards can come up short esp as thrusters. Transition in and out of critical turns felt a bit sudden, the movement was not super fluid -- the fin tended to 'let go' at a certain point rather than release steadily and evenly -- but that was partly also the board I was riding (a v short thing with a cutaway wing).

Kind of a fan of the boldness of the design, there's something about the aesthetics of it that makes sense

Think the original CDrive outline wouldn't work well in a quad, you'd just have too much base with two of those fins added together, I guess that's why they're designing something new for the back set.

Can't really see mixing C-Drive outlines with other fins, conflict of intentions between the fins I would think.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks Nick, I had that impression too on the first couple of waves but funny how quickly you adjust for that and start working out what you can do on these that you couldnt so easily on other fins. I am really looking forward to the quad set up coming out cause I mostly ride quads, but I have to say if they only had what they have now, I would still rather these fins than regular fins. Said it before but ill say it again, I reckon these guys are on to something here. I see it very much like the Firewire thing, I tried them and hated them, but love riding them now, not exclusively, but there are things about FW's that make more sense than regular boards. More and more people are agreeing and taking up the technology,.....how many more FW's do you see now than you did a year ago? I say if you buy a set of these fins, stick with them for a couple of surfs, you wont regret it.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:46 pm

Been testing the new C Drive smaller rears for quads, big difference, they have nailed it. Nick was right, too much base if you just use mediums and smalls. They have a mini rear C Drive fin as the rears and they WORK. Nick you should give them a crack. I occasionally go back to regular fins and they just feel....kind of slow. Like you have to work harder to get anywhere. If you have C Drives and also quads then I recommend getting the smaller rears.