Quangers
Local

Re: Ripping off Dane Reynolds.

Post by Quangers » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:49 pm

pinhead wrote:Maybe you could call it "Zeitgeist"

http://www.proctorsurf.com/Surf-Boards/El-Pavote
proctor.jpg
Ghost of the time????

If it lasts the test of time.... Although I think it is the way things are going.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:22 pm

Steve, the board is awaiting your collection at Phils place..you should grab it and get ya ranga mate, Dane to ride it.....its cured and ready to go ...keen to hear how it goes for ya.... 8)

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:00 pm

pridmore wrote:.....its cured and ready to go ...)

is that from the last glass coat or the first :?:

cause it gotta be two weeks from the last be properly cured :lol:

ahhh not shit again

just give it too the great dane... :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Aggh...went there yesterday and Phil was shut.
Didn't get back till after dark tonight.
Spewin.
Will try and grab tomoz.
Busting to get my paws on it.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:55 pm

got it in hand.

Donth ink Ive ever been so excited about riding a surfboard.

It feels veery sexy and lively under the arm, more moderne than 80's but with a speedy planshape. The rocker is perfect, with a late nose flip looking just right.

The handfoiled fibreglass fins from Phil Way were a special touch (K 2.1 sides and g1000 rear).

I will ride this surfboard tomoz.
Stoked Mark.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:09 pm

yes yes, those fins did look very sweet, you know you nearly didnt get them, they almost got lost in my fin box..ha ha...nah, I reduced the size of the tail fin to a size where it should be more lively but still enuff hold for ya...I reckon it'll love a beachy mate...hope the conditions are suitable for her maiden voyage...glad you are stoked SS...... 8) cant wait for the feedback....

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:21 pm

Had a few surfs on her now (can't say "it"....can you?).
First in atrocious 1-2ft high tide onshore Lenny Point....just a paddle really, and it paddles well....a freakin 5"10" mind you ( I remember coming back from Hawaii and thinking "im never gunna be able to ride a board under seven foot again....then riding single-fins, mini-mals for a few years....just couldn't get a shortboard groove going...how the worm turns)

Second sesh at 2ft onshore Lenny Point with just Dan Thompson out on a very experimental craft and we were chatting about Parko v Dane QF when he says he just saw a big shark and FMD if it didn't cruise right by us at that very moment, so big we could see it's large bulk in the waves...
so I said "fcuk this Dan I've got 2 young kiddies at home...I'm outta here" and started paddling like a bat outta hell to the rocks..
He said :"whoa, don't friggin panic...you'll make it attack"
"tell it to the judge mate'
So I only got 2 waves on it.
Then yesterday at Yamba and I just couldn't buy a wave ...felt like a degenerate old homeless person with a shopping trolley.

Today I surferd very inconsistent long period groundswell at a lined up Point.
Found the sweet spot and racked up a few.
It wants to run straight up vertical off the bottom turn and pull a high hook right in the pocket, turning very easily off the outline curve.
I need to stay right over it cause it will get away from me very quickly, even though it's quite a stable platform.
In typical beachbreak condys this would join the dots and blast turns with astonishing ease.
With a K2.1 G1000 trailer I'll think I need slightly more fin area to tune that responsiveness and back end hold more for these 40 yr old reflexes.
Anyway , talk is cheap....I'll put up some video and people can judge for themselves how the board works.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:35 pm

steve shearer wrote:Then yesterday at Yamba and I just couldn't buy a wave ...felt like a degenerate old homeless person with a shopping trolley.
Hate than when it happens to me.

Pleased to hear that even the great ones experience it, but not pleased that it was you personally.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:53 pm

in the video you put up steve can you mutter a few words (over images of waves bashing against rocks of course) about surfboard design and decoration in relation to mid-life crises too please?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:07 pm

steppo

Post by steppo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:06 pm

I've got no idea how to post pics, but I just picked up Matt Biolis' (...Lost Enterprises) version of the said board - called the Sub-Scorcher.

Awesome board! I got mine from Dripping Wet at Bondi, but they've got them on-line on their website http://www.dripwetsurf.com.

I normally ride a Lost SDII at 6'2, my Sub is 5'10.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:57 pm

Steve, hows the Double-D been going now that you've had some time to get familiar with her curves and capabilities? :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:19 am

As Dino would say it's a go to board when it's under 4ft.

I can't see myself ever riding a board over 6ft again as a small wave board. The curves just fit so much better.
It's re-invigorated my small wave surfing, I reckon at 40 I'm doing the best small wave pointbreak surfing of my life on this board.
I had to increase the fin area to tune it to my blunt skills...it originally came sexed up with hand-foiled fibreglass fins : K2.1 and GX 1000 sizes.
This was just too twitchy and sensitive for me, especially on a running pointbreak where I needed to hold a turn arc for a while.
I've now got some larger fins in there (not sure, prolly M5 sized, there foam core glass fins from another board) and that has changed the boards character and made it surer underfoot, a more stable platform.
If I ever get it in a little left ripbowl I'd change back to the smaller fins in a heartbeat now that I know the boards sweet spot.

My quiver philosphy now is small thrusters with enhanced planing area for small waves and McKee style roundtail quad set-ups for step-ups and bigger waves.
The theory is let the increased planing area and freedom of the thruster set-up for small waves and use the increased hold of quads for bigger surf.

I use the DD and my QF for 95% of go-outs around here.
The only other board that comes into contention is a Cambell Bros 5'10 Octafish which is an entirely different ride and lights up a small slopey pointbreak, but it's alot lower performance compared to the DD.
Wish I'd had this sled through my 30's.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:29 pm

Whoah, that sounds like great fun. What size or type of wave does it start to show its limits?

So many board designs I want to try, so little money or time *sigh*
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:40 pm

funny you say that about your quiver steve I too am liking thrusters again for smaller waves but still love grabbing a widish , flattish round tail quad when it's small if the conditions are right .. as long as there is a little wall the quad will create speed where the thruster lacks a bit of drive ... basically if it's small and not closing out and mostly lefts (my backhand) it's thruster time .. if it's running right (forehand) then maybe a quad or a thruster depends how I feel ... 4ft plus roundtail quad every time for me