Retro Leg rope

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

Retro Leg rope

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:29 pm

Went for a surf with fong today, he was bragging how he found a small wave comp leg rope in his garage, so he didnt need to buy a new one since the old one was buggered with a knot tied in it and it cant be undone, didnt want to risk surfing with it incase it snapped and his board went up on the rocks.

The bloody leg rope looked older than me, "hey its a retro legrope, its the new thing" :roll:

So we paddle out at nationals, first wave fong gets was crap, he didnt even get to stand up :lol: So what do you think happened to him when he rolled off his board, yup, TWANG THE BLOODY RETRO LEG ROPE SNAPPED. :lol: :lol: :lol:

End result, one board up on the rocks, busted the fin, buggered the fcs plug, deep gash in the bottom of the board where the fin pushed through the bottom of the deck, a few other minor dings and scraps :lol: :lol:

So much for a "retro leg rope" fong :lol: How bout you buy a leg rope fong you cheap scate.

Hey Mark, I reckon that fong might be needing that board a little bit sooner now :twisted:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

still here
charger

Re: Retro Leg rope

Post by still here » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:09 am

Pity about the board .......
But talking about "retro legropes" reminds me of the first time I saw a legropes ... (we thought it was cheating .... but gave in to the idea within 1 week )
1) white rope (natural fibre not urethane) passed through a hole drilled in the fin and an old sock used as ankle strap . (rugby socks were longer and a bit more forgiving a stretch on the ankle ) . Dangers were fin ripping out one of the two knots giving way , and a ripped ankle or cut of circulation as the sock get ever tighter . Wouldn't use one of these in 4 ft waves or 3 ft punchy waves....and another hassle was untying the knot on the fin (which we called a 'skeg' ,,, if you needed to take the leash off .

2) The amazing rubber suction cap that was put on the deck at rear and bothered the hell out of you as it was a fairly big device . Poor quality urethane with a very tight swivel in the rubber , and velcro ankle strap that worked for about a year only (the suction lost it's grip over time as the rubber degraded in sun etc ) . Dangers were the suction cap coming off the board in bigger waves .

Progress is not all bad .... but I reckon crowds would be down if one still had to swim for your board or risked losing it on the rocks .

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:40 am

As it would if we where surfing those big wooden aircraft carriers and wearing tight short fluro 80's boardies.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Not sure if I mentioned it on here but saw it happen at Moffs a week or so back.
Guy showed me where his leggie had broken just near his ankle and he was saying how he panicked because the board was borrowed - looked pretty new, too.
Of course he tied the broken end in a knot around the ankle strap (which you cannot do successfully). :roll:
I was drying off later and he walked past witha great hole in the nose of the board. Obviously the knot came undone. Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall whe he returned the board. :oops:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:13 pm

I did see that knot in Fongs leggy...funny story but sad to hear his fav sled has been damaged , always good to have a few leggies in the kit bag just in case.... just dont ding up the RV mate, or you'll be riding the 9'2 brewer....

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:45 pm

We loved it back in the day when the old rope and rubber tail-saverless leggys would cut into the crotch of a swallowtail and yank the plug out from the other side...

Retro leggys? goody...so...

Bring back "Honeysurf" and "Strawberry Fields" wax, the ones in the BIG cup mold. Please...

Josh
http://www.joshdowlingshape.com

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:08 pm

what about the dog collar on the end of a rope, they were the true retro leggies.....

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:39 pm

diggerdickson wrote:

So we paddle out at nationals, first wave fong gets was crap, he didnt even get to stand up :

for the record i kneeboarded it...ok...i'm into it this year :idea:

p.s and retro is so, like, last year, the things i find in my shed....should, in truth, just be left in there :shock:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Of course nothing beats a bit of synthetic rope for a good tear in the tail. What about the first commercial leggies with the rubber tubing and rope insert. Its a wonder anyone got out alive :shock: :shock:

Apparently modern leggies can be weldded back together with a bit of heat i.e. a lighter flame or cook top. An old mate used to do it but it was a bit touch and go. Worth a try if your desperate though.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:38 am

speedneedle wrote:We loved it back in the day when the old rope and rubber tail-saverless leggys would cut into the crotch of a swallowtail and yank the plug out from the other side...
Funny you should say that, Josh, I reckon I get at least one leggie related ding a week, usually stinking swallow tails, usually 7S fish. :twisted:

Hears the tip ya nongs, the rail saver only works if in contact WITH the rail, not if the cord you use is so long the saver component extends beyond.

I remember some early leggies being VB cord coiled in rubber tubing.

Edit: hadn’t read your post Beanie.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:33 pm

^^^^^

you probably just did yourself out of some business there RV with that piece of advice ... :wink:

circa 1980 an old DY boy once got a leggie rip on either side of a round tail and then he had an idea to cut vertically from the tail to the inner point of the rips removing the two pieces and he created what he called the Y tail ... his next board was a purpose shaped Y tail ... he was a good surfer so it was hard to tell that it didn't really work and I don't think he ever got another one made ... :|

I remember those b@stard rope/rubber leggies ripping plugs straight out all on their own ... or even the old double lap ankle strap being ripped straight off your leg ... they only had a certain amount of stretch before they turned into a piece of rope ... :idea:

growing up at Forries I had quite a few long swims back then ... :x

the early poly urethane weren't much better either ... they snapped so easily ... one tiny knick from a fin or barnacle and they were rendered useless ... :idea:

all that aside ... thank god leggies were invented I say ... :idea:

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:55 pm

Toby wrote:What's the best knot for field repairs of broken leggies? I remember someone posted it once but I could never find it again. I needed it a while back.
i think some of the guys said to use a hot knife to melt the two ends back together, i have tried this myself but had no luck doing a good job though.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:22 pm

Toby wrote:What's the best knot for field repairs of broken leggies?
Keep surfing but not let go of your board.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:25 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
speedneedle wrote:We loved it back in the day when the old rope and rubber tail-saverless leggys would cut into the crotch of a swallowtail and yank the plug out from the other side...
Funny you should say that, Josh, I reckon I get at least one leggie related ding a week, usually stinking swallow tails, usually 7S fish. :twisted:

Hears the tip ya nongs, the rail saver only works if in contact WITH the rail, not if the cord you use is so long the saver component extends beyond.

I remember some early leggies being VB cord coiled in rubber tubing.

Edit: hadn’t read your post Beanie.
Yeah Ric...those 7S things are keeping some ding shops busy...the swallowtail glassing has no lap. Tidy looking, bubble-free for a sharply foiled edge, but destined to crack every time. Sheer shortcut.

Still looking for the old leggy for pics.

Oooh, remember the "pipelines" advert with the girly all wrapped up in leggys? Too much for a grommy to bear...

Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:05 am

does having a knot in a leggie mean it will snap :?:

or is it just undiserable :?:

i just can't bring myself chuck a un broken leggie :roll:

p.s shut up digger :x
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:16 pm

Which board got dinged up? Was it your MORE quad??

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:49 pm

it was my old, old faithfull little yellow fish right brain... :cry:

very sad :cry: :cry:

p.s so your found a way around chinnese internet censership finally i see 8) or u on hoils? (again :!: :wink: )