Jumping from a quad to a thruster

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Shoulder hopper
Grommet

Jumping from a quad to a thruster

Post by Shoulder hopper » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:24 pm

I've been riding quads for a couple of years now and love them but am heading to indo next year and I'm thinking of taking my quad plus a longer thruster for bigger days.
My question is how hard do you reckon it is to jump back on a thruster after surfing quads for that amount of time or do I get a longer quad for bigger waves. Is that even an option(longer quad) or just get back onto thrusters?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: Jumping from a quad to a thruster

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun May 08, 2011 9:15 pm

once u jump back on a thtuster u will wonder why u wasted all those waves riding a quad :idea: :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 am

I do notice some getting used to needed, mainly because the smallest bit of back foot pressure starts you off on a turn. Compared to quads which need to be tipped over just slightly until they respond (a fraction of a second). I found myself doing turns and cutbacks before even thinking about it..haha :)

It didn't take much getting used to for me, but I swap around boards a lot so I'm used to adapting to the board...
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon May 09, 2011 1:41 pm

I don't know what kind if quads you are surfing but I swap between the two regularly ... sometimes in the one session.. quite often if it's good I will head back to the car after a couple of hours and swap to a board with a bit more volume ( arms dead easier to paddle) which is usually different to the first board re fin set up .. I never have any issues adjusting

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon May 09, 2011 2:02 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:once u jump back on a thtuster u will wonder why u wasted all those waves riding a quad :idea: :lol:
You just stirring, Fong, or serious?
I've seen a quad that I think was headed your way, if you don't want it then don't send it to Ebay...
Your other threads suggests you just need to get the right fin setup anyway.

Shoulder hopper, I reckon it depends on your fin setup on your quad most of all. If you ride the quad with a balanced fin set (e.g. not big fronts and small rears), and particularly if it is a McKee setup, you will hardly notice.
My 2c, as someone who isn't a huge thruster fan.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon May 09, 2011 3:34 pm

bohdidontsurf wrote:I don't know what kind if quads you are surfing but I swap between the two regularly ... sometimes in the one session.. quite often if it's good I will head back to the car after a couple of hours and swap to a board with a bit more volume ( arms dead easier to paddle) which is usually different to the first board re fin set up .. I never have any issues adjusting
yep, me too...just ride the thruster a few times before you go to tune into it a bit....I ride quads alot but have thrusters too, they both go well and it is fun to swap boards and they all have their benefits, mostly ride a twin keel mini sims lately but got a quaddy on the way, doesnt matter how many fins, surfers should be able to adapt, but some just say they can only ride boards with a certain amount of fins, not putting in the time to adapt to differences in performance imo...each to their own but...
I'd get the thruster if thats what ya want, just surf it a bit before yo go out in 8ft Indo kegs.....

Shoulder hopper
Grommet

Post by Shoulder hopper » Mon May 09, 2011 7:34 pm

Funny thing seeing this thread again as I started it back in 2009 before I went to Indo in the following March. Anyhow I took a quad and a longer thruster with me. I surfed the quad for a while and then we got a swell about 6ft so I took out the thruster and guess what? As soon as I got home I sold the quad and bought 2 more thrusters of different sizes 'cause i just loved being back on thrusters again.
Loved being able to pivit back in the hook were I found the quad had problems doing that. Loved the more pridictable performance on my backhand ie didn't feel weird off the bottom but missed the down the line speed on my forehand that I got from the quad.
All in all I liked surfing the quads for a while and will probably get another in a while but I gotta say I love thrusters as allround boards better. SH

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon May 09, 2011 8:07 pm

alakaboo wrote:don't send it to Ebay...
no board given me use will ever end up on ebay, they are not mine sell in my mind anyway :wink:

the only quad....i've eva trully loved and still do ...is ric vandels ( speed fins...rip :cry: )

second reef will back me up on this :shock:

i've had a good one of longbottom, pridmore s was a fucken beauty till i destroyed it :cry: , huies ....works unreal....does everything i asked for

but the simple fact is...i love thrusters

they just go so much better shoot me for being honest, :!:

p.s nice post hopper 8)

p.p.s so why aen't we riding twins anyway :?: ....four world titles vs the four fins nothing must count for something :shock:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon May 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Nothin beats the thruster.

Ive been to the dark side too with the whole quad fad, but fk the thruster just opens up so much more. I still have fun on a quad here and there but in a way it just makes me appreciate the thruster more.

i always wondered why you were taking a quad to indo Hopper. Those waves are just made for thrusters IMO. Unless you are just wanting to go down the line and not much else.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue May 10, 2011 9:45 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:p.p.s so why aen't we riding twins anyway :?: ....four world titles vs the four fins nothing must count for something :shock:
I'm coming around to the twin, now that my stance is more balanced. But with a trailer or 2.
Tried a small wave thruster with PC7 in the front and PC3 in the back, it goes unreal.
Next up is the quad with longboard sidebites at the back. Tried it on another board and it didn't really work, but that one had a lot more rocker.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue May 10, 2011 1:10 pm

For me I love my quad, suits my surfing a lot more as im not as limber as I use to be when I was younger, though Im keen to get back to a deep channelled thruster, but i think thats more of a mid life crisis than anything else, some people want a sports car, me, I just want a deep channelled thruster.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue May 10, 2011 2:41 pm

alakaboo wrote: I'm coming around to the twin, now that my stance is more balanced. But with a trailer or 2.
Tried a small wave thruster with PC7 in the front and PC3 in the back, it goes unreal.
Next up is the quad with longboard sidebites at the back. Tried it on another board and it didn't really work, but that one had a lot more rocker.
I know what you mean boo,

I've been finding that quad fin size depends a lot on the width/area of the tail that you are trying to control. If its reasonably wide near the front fins, bigger front fins work best. If it pulls into a very tight tail after the front fins, then smaller trailers are best, etc.

Almost like you need to match the progression of the tail planshape with the change in fin size front to back, complimenting the rail-line. I find that when you divert from that quads feel just plane strange...

scod
regular
Location: Riding along the border, with a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers in my hand

Post by scod » Tue May 10, 2011 4:09 pm

My al merrick pod can be set up as a quad or thruster.

I rode exclusively as a quad for the first 6 months coz i only ever rid a thruster, recently swapped it to a thruster and I aint never going back.

The quad was good but as a thruster its just so much better. Maybe its the board maybe its me.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Fri May 13, 2011 10:40 pm

scod wrote:My al merrick pod can be set up as a quad or thruster.

I rode exclusively as a quad for the first 6 months coz i only ever rid a thruster, recently swapped it to a thruster and I aint never going back.

The quad was good but as a thruster its just so much better. Maybe its the board maybe its me.
I don't believe it's possible to set the same board up to work with 3 or 4 fins. I find it's usually the people who've spent a fair wad of cash on just such a board that disagree. ;)

I switch back and forth a fair bit, and I actually relate a bit to what fong's saying about really noticing the thruster doing it's thing. In good, fairly steep, top to bottom waves I'd always far rather be on a thruster. In flatter waves where you just can't enjoy all the thruster benefits, I have more fun on a quad. I think rail style quads highlight those differences more than stringer centric setups do.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Sun May 15, 2011 7:44 am

I've actually gone to the darkside a bit lately, and been enjoying quads. But the waves and my approach to them have had a fair bit to do with it. Basically the waves have been clean, hollow, and very good. I've pretty much ignored hitting the lip and turning tight in the pocket. It's been all about getting barrelled, racing sections, and doing carves/cutbacks out on the shoulder.

Funny, I'm having the opposite experience to Dug. Liking them in hollow quality waves, and preferring a thruster in average waves where I wanna do tighter arcs, and have some snap release. I also believe you can set a board up to be both, but I usually have my fins a bit more forward on tri's anyway, so this helps.

As for jumping from 1 to the other. It's just a matter of accurate quiver selection for the day at hand, and adjusting your approach accordingly, the waves will dictate how they can be approached too.The right board for any particular day will vary from person to person. So see what works for you and put round pegs in round holes.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun May 15, 2011 4:54 pm

quads go good, thrusters go good, so do twins and singles, good surfers can adapt and adjust, or at least surfers should be able to try to adapt and get the most out of any board , no matter how many fins or what shape really...some people wanna jump on any board and expect to surf it just the way they usually ride their everyday board, I love the challenge of adapting, I enjoy the transition, dont want em to go the same...I like em all....its like just shagging blondes...why wouldnt ya want some hot brunettes, or even a tidy little exotic Asian number, or better still shag the whole lot of em...at once if they are up for it...oops, we are talking bout boards...but its much the same, I am a slut and like em all...boards I mean.... :roll: :D

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sun May 15, 2011 7:00 pm

Yeah I am with you on that Pridmore...feel exactly the same way..then you start playing around with fins and you have a shiteload of combos...good analogy ...except...I am definitely a brunette man.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun May 15, 2011 9:14 pm

Yah, well said guys.

It goes back to that same old argument, its a shame there is a prevailing culture that all boards should be judged and compared against what pro surfers ride. Why not spend some great time experimenting and learn about boards through feeling the ride yourself?

It also goes back to the paradigm that the fin number, placement, template and fin area should all be dialed to suit the board and its specifics so they work in harmony. Get those two off-kilt and the board won't feel great no matter what fin specifics you have.

I love quads, particularly for boards that create stacks of inherent lift for small waves, or have wide tails. I also prefer quads for heavy waves where extra hold makes life easier and gives you some confidence. I now prefer thrusters for waves with some push that beg you to stay tight to the pocket, and my next board will probably be a thruster. I also love twins for the free and easy flow they have, which changes your lines and your whole approach to the wave, but not for waves with push because nursing through turns is required... Too many variables, if you're not making money from surfing then branch out I say :)