Kelly Slater's Wizard's Sleeve (and the like)

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Kelly Slater's Wizard's Sleeve (and the like)

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:45 am

Has anyone here surfed a tiny quad like Kelly Slater's wizard's sleeve?

I'm just curious as to how they surf and what people's impression of them are. I get the feeling that they're going to get more popular.

Would you say that they are mostly for high level-advanced surfers like pros? Would the average joe that normally rides a shortboard be able to surf it and have fun etc?

Drawbacks? Advantages?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

mical
barnacle

Re: Kelly Slater's Wizard's Sleeve (and the like)

Post by mical » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:39 am

Wizard Sleeve: 5'4" x 19" x 2 5/16" with the last 3ft of his normal shorty tacked on the a$$ end.
Bottom.JPG
Bottom.JPG (7.06 KiB) Viewed 12590 times
Deck.JPG
Deck.JPG (6.31 KiB) Viewed 12588 times
Video of Shane Dorian riding a 5'2" version he had JC make off the template of one Kelly made him HERE

I've not ridden a Wizard Sleeve before but wouldn't mind putting it through its paces. Closest I've got is a 6'0" quad but that's more like a Merrick Fishcuit as opposed to a Wizard Sleeve.

Not sure on 'average joe' riding something like this and still having fun. I'd think you'd need to be a better than average surfer to really get something out of these.

A little different to the Wizard Sleeve, I'm looking at getting into something 5'4" - 5'8" as described in THIS thread and would be interested in any feedback.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:55 pm

look up the definition of Wizard Sleeve on Urban Dictionary. It's quite amusing.

josh
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:02 pm

^^^
Urban Dictionary wrote:1. Wizard Sleeve
Used to describe large, hanging or dangling labia.
As in "Holy cow! Check out the wizard sleeves on that broad!"
:shock: :shock: :shock:

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:08 pm

Speaking of Wizard Sleeves (and the like), anyone seen the Picklefork KS is playing with?

Yes folks, the 'picklefork' is in the nose. Supposedly he makes his standard shorty, then cuts out the nose to reduce weight. I think Maurice Cole was doing something like this also.

There's a vid somewhere on Youtube of him riding it if you want to see how it goes (being ridden by a freak).

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:44 pm

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:29 pm

I did something like that today, had a 6'3" stringerless that I didnt like the nose on, so I re-templated the nose and made it into a 5'10 1/2" x 19" x 2 1/2", wide point about centre and it looks like it'll be great fun ...might glass in epoxy with some carbon-kevlar rails...love modifying and creating diff stuff, sometimes when you just go with it and just shape whats in front of you instead of over thinking, the results can be surprising.... :)

How great is it that Slater is shaping and playing with design, something great is bound to come from it , the best surfer being as creative with design as he wants, all time stuff..... 8)

Little D
regular

Post by Little D » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:53 am

http://www.waterskatesurfboards.com/waterskate.aspx
from the pics the general shape doesnt look too different from what Grant is doing here... (of course without the endless supply of blanks, 9time world champ input, etc...) but i guess you can spot the similarities at least in the general shape/outline of the board.
My mate used to have one of these and i loved it - thinking of a purchase myself.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:27 pm

Little D wrote:http://www.waterskatesurfboards.com/waterskate.aspx
from the pics the general shape doesnt look too different from what Grant is doing here... (of course without the endless supply of blanks, 9time world champ input, etc...) but i guess you can spot the similarities at least in the general shape/outline of the board.
My mate used to have one of these and i loved it - thinking of a purchase myself.
I've got a 7' V-Skate, highly recommend it, great board.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:36 pm

mical wrote: Yes folks, the 'picklefork' is in the nose. Supposedly he makes his standard shorty, then cuts out the nose to reduce weight. I think Maurice Cole was doing something like this also.
I don't think that's the picklefork... but I'm open to being corrected on that. The picklefork design actually comes from racing speedboats - it's that shape like Speed Racer's Mach 5 from the front, has two pointy sides and a recessed center point. Theory is it gives you two angles of attack, sort of like two noses and two points of entry to the water flow depending which rail you're on ( or in the case of a boat, which side of the hull in a mono or which hull you're on in a multi-hull ).

There's more about it on Swaylocks.

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:02 pm

I;m pretty sure Jeff Alexander has well trialled the pitchfork design (Gemni design).

There is about 115 Wizard Sleeve models hitting the stores in the next week or so. They've been finished off at the factory but are awaiting the fins to come in. K2.1 perf core quad set along with a k2.1 rear fin (thruster setup). They are not cheap, but look pretty bloody good.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:03 pm

dunnc wrote: They've been finished off at the factory but are awaiting the fins to come in.
LOL why does that not surprise me... :roll:
dunnc wrote: K2.1 perf core quad set along with a k2.1 rear fin (thruster setup). They are not cheap, but look pretty bloody good.
Wow... so essentially 2 center PC3 fins as trailers ( that's all a K2.1 PC center fin is, after all ). That's a fair amount of fin area... any idea how this compares with the "original" Wizards Sleeve? I would have thought in small waves it would be pretty stiff and carry a fair bit of drag. Hard to say though having never surfed one, and in all likelyhood, unlikely to!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:24 am

mical wrote:Yes folks, the 'picklefork' is in the nose.
Glad you explained that Mical, was thinking what an interesting tail :D got nothing on my stealth :mrgreen:

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:34 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:21 am

^^^
Everyone wants a wizard sleeve so we'd better make it actually surfable and change the design so we can sell them to joe public and he'll be able to ride it.

Not the same board KS rode at Pipe and it's a board that was never intended for joe public or any wave other than Pipe in the first place!

When will we learn that everyone needs a different board because nobody is the same size, height, ability, surfs the same waves?

If I like the look of something like the wizard sleeve I take the concept to a shaper and refine it to suit the waves and way I surf. It will either work or it won't, and I expect shapers like Mark, Josh etc to advise me that it will or it won't and beat me around the head until I see sense.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:28 am

the board KS rode at Pipe was a Deep 6.
Completely different design.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:39 am

Ah so it was, thanks for the correction Steve. :oops:

He's been working on so many different designs lately I can't bloody keep up!

I stand by the last 2 comments in my last post though.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:42 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.