Kelly Slater's Wizard's Sleeve (and the like)

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Re: Kelly Slater's Wizard's Sleeve (and the like)

Post by black duck » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:04 pm

Hypocrisy is unbecoming puurri
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:03 am

puurri wrote:And I post yet again, (last post shut off)

RS has degenerated further by this and other recent threads into a misogynist wank as I believe your "advice" constitutes tacit approval of the denegration of women.

BTW does RS intend to continue with same or reinvent the site into a more commercial enterprise? (same, same)

Appalled. (but then agin this is generically a "male friendly" domain)
Puurri,

Please finish your remaining 25 posts HERE and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Bye.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:27 am

bohdidontsurf wrote: I saw a youtube vid of Kelly saying it works best in 3+ foot sucky waves right up to tripple overhead which makes sense when you see the tail. I am not expecting a lot of drive due to the refined tail but the quad fins will help. Anyway, I am hoping it surfs like a good wave board that has a lot of hold when solid and feels like you are surfing on almost nothing. It definately isnt a pod or a fish like board. I will let you know.
Sounds interesting. I would normally associate a snub-nose board with small waves and junk, not for quality waves. I'd be keen to hear how it goes on a late drop on a quality wave.

Start taking notes MP, maybe my next board will be an MP Wizard Labia special! :P
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:46 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:
bohdidontsurf wrote: I saw a youtube vid of Kelly saying it works best in 3+ foot sucky waves right up to tripple overhead which makes sense when you see the tail. I am not expecting a lot of drive due to the refined tail but the quad fins will help. Anyway, I am hoping it surfs like a good wave board that has a lot of hold when solid and feels like you are surfing on almost nothing. It definately isnt a pod or a fish like board. I will let you know.
Sounds interesting. I would normally associate a snub-nose board with small waves and junk, not for quality waves. I'd be keen to hear how it goes on a late drop on a quality wave.

Start taking notes MP, maybe my next board will be an MP Wizard Labia special! :P
Captain, we could call it that, or the bra burner? Either would suit I reckon. The whole snub nose thing is about getting rid of the part of the board that doesnt do a whole lot , ie the last 6 inches of the nose and re distributing that volume in the rest of the board. The tail will mean this board wont be great in small surf but it should go alright in chest high to well overhead. Hard to get your head around that but thats what its designed for. MP if you want some detailed pics of it let me know.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:05 pm

alot of interest in this design atm, Yeah Bohdi, please send some pics thru, I'll send you a PM with my e-mail., thanks...still think some people are getting them for wrong reasons...shaping myself one asap to try out but more stoked on other designs I got in the works for small waves, but if I'm gunna be shaping a few I have to ride one so I can relate to this design well.....looking forward to the pics...

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:07 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:I would normally associate a snub-nose board with small waves and junk, not for quality waves. I'd be keen to hear how it goes on a late drop on a quality wave.
This always fascinates me, why isn’t a board going to work just because the conditions get better?

It’s more the reverse, CC, some boards won’t work in “small waves and junk”, and yes some might get stretched for want of a better description in some size, but then there are exceptions to that as well.

We confused yet?

kalki

Post by kalki » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:37 am

Hey Mark, I got the 5'8 x 19.5 x 2 3/8 althought its got to be the thickest 2 3/8 I have ever seen. Full rails so I guess it can be decieving and it does have a lot of concave in the middle of the board. I could have gone down to 5'6 I think. Its pretty heavy too (well it is for me) given I only generally ride eps / epoxy so the extra foam will help. There is a bit of tail lift but I dont think its extreme, maybe a tad more than a regular shorty. Deep single concave that tapers off right up to the nose. Single to double down to the tail and a small amout of vee through the last 6 inches- just about flat right on the tail. The double concave starts in the last 40% of the board. What really got me is that the tail is like you would find on any good wave shooter, pulled in nicely to a rounded pin. Its got a bit of curve to it too. Mid point I would say is up a bit from middle, just like it was a regular 6'2 shorty then someone hacked the nose off and rounded it so looking at it as a 5'8 it looks like the mid point is forward. I saw a youtube vid of Kelly saying it works best in 3+ foot sucky waves right up to tripple overhead which makes sense when you see the tail. I am not expecting a lot of drive due to the refined tail but the quad fins will help. Anyway, I am hoping it surfs like a good wave board that has a lot of hold when solid and feels like you are surfing on almost nothing. It definately isnt a pod or a fish like board. I will let you know.[/quote]

bohdidontsurf, how about breaking out a tape measure and finding the fin placement (dots). Also, how far out from the stringer are the rear quads. Rear quads look like they are set back further than usual.

Borat on Dave Letterman show, 'Sleeve of Wizard'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVRV0Nww8R4

Benji Weatherly came up with the name, people say he has a wicked sense of humour. Loose board I guess.
Warning: offensive material.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:05 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Cpt.Caveman wrote:I would normally associate a snub-nose board with small waves and junk, not for quality waves. I'd be keen to hear how it goes on a late drop on a quality wave.
This always fascinates me, why isn’t a board going to work just because the conditions get better?

It’s more the reverse, CC, some boards won’t work in “small waves and junk”, and yes some might get stretched for want of a better description in some size, but then there are exceptions to that as well.

We confused yet?
I understand what you mean. I always thought that the design elements that suit a board to a particular spectrum of surf conditions will cause drawbacks when the surf gets to the other end of the spectrum.

I'm thinking in terms of boards like the Webber Mini-Fish which really excels and is great fun in waves which don't offer much, but as soon as the waves get more powerful it can get a bit temperamental. It can slip around like a bar of soap and doesn't like really late take-offs.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:48 pm

Any ride reports yet? :)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:29 pm

my 5'11 stringerless is getting glassed up, I went for 4 bottom, 4 deck with 4 patches, has a cool fabric inlay, carbon/kevlar rails, epoxy , should be light as f..k and the flex will be interesting, keen to feel how much flex the carbon/kevlar reduces coz it was super flexy as a blank, even more so than previous stringerless ones I have done.. it was originally designed as a 6'3" but got inspired to chop and change into a small wave sled....hope to get it soon but my glasser is flat out and I guess I should put customers before my foam addiction... :roll: maybe by Xmas....

have a few sleeves in the works too ( thanks boys for dims and pics....they helped but not to replicate, to modify and improve for our waves ... 8) )

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:35 pm

pridmore wrote:have a few sleeves in the works too ( thanks boys for dims and pics....they helped but not to replicate, to modify and improve for our waves ... 8) )
Pics asap please Mark.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:38 pm

all in good time my friend.....actually waiting on some blanks from a guy so they wont be shaped for a week or so...only have the one done for a goldy guy so far and its already gone ....pics when they are shaped...but to be honest, much more excited bout the stringerless and another small wave sled I got going on.... 8)

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:43 pm

pridmore wrote:but to be honest, much more excited bout the stringerless and another small wave sled I got going on.... 8)
Be interested in pics of all three actually mate.

Post what you're able without compromising anything new you're working on though :wink:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:41 pm

the stringeress s in your 'thoughts' thread...the others are yet to be shaped...but soon if I get some time, Xmas is busy but lucky I really love what I do.... 8)

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:38 pm

has anyone tried the pod?

http://www.cisurfboards.com/SB_pod.asp

looks more fun compared to the sleeve? would love to hear some feedback...

im currently riding a 5'11 fish, twin. i like surfing, but now thinking i could use something shorter, and have started looking at the merrick boards....

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:44 pm

onawave wrote:has anyone tried the pod?
Bloody dolphin worshipers, ah wrong thread? :D

Ona, you can get the same thing for less if you are a prudent board shopper.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:58 am

My DOB is catching up with me so lately I've been trying a few different fishes and pod types designed to help the lazy/ageing paddler. I didn't like any and I don't have enough time to adjust my 50 y.o style to suit. Then I jumped on a Webber Minifish and all the lights came back on. For Sydney surf it's the best thing I've ever ridden, junk or good! The rocker's flat as the floor and the bastard's over 3 inches thick but there's no trade on looseness for speed and the big fins really hold when the big thick rails shouldn't. I stuck a small stabiliser in because as a twin I thought it might have needed a bit of that thruster drive and I might even try it with a more regular sized centre fin, but right now I'm super stoked!

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:25 am

Little wrote:My DOB is catching up with me so lately I've been trying a few different fishes and pod types designed to help the lazy/ageing paddler. I didn't like any and I don't have enough time to adjust my 50 y.o style to suit. Then I jumped on a Webber Minifish and all the lights came back on. For Sydney surf it's the best thing I've ever ridden, junk or good! The rocker's flat as the floor and the bastard's over 3 inches thick but there's no trade on looseness for speed and the big fins really hold when the big thick rails shouldn't. I stuck a small stabiliser in because as a twin I thought it might have needed a bit of that thruster drive and I might even try it with a more regular sized centre fin, but right now I'm super stoked!
interesting. is the minifish aimed at smallish surf? did a fair bit of reading on that too awhile ago, and it seems quite good. read some of cavemans reviews too on this site, and could be good.

whats the spces on yours little?