SHRED SLED

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

channels
Snowy McAllister

Re: SHRED SLED

Post by channels » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:16 am

No munch.. traditional v is a v bottom through the tail (with the panels of the v being flat). Reverse v is the v further up the board and flat/ concave through the tail. Spiral v is like the traditional v except for the panels of the v being concave rather than flat.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:05 pm

Grant Miller uses spiral vee on his boards... have a read of his website www.waterskatesurfboards.com
Check out the Vskate, not what you're looking for i know, but the explanation is there.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

skeghead

Post by skeghead » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:18 pm

been getting all my boards online at http://www.tradewindsurf.com seem to be cheaper than getting customs in a store..

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:16 pm

skeghead wrote:been getting all my boards online at http://www.tradewindsurf.com seem to be cheaper than getting customs in a store..

mmmmm, free plug anyone :wink:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:22 pm

check the number of posts, signed up just to plug his site....not cool but I have been accused of the same.....but they are wrong, I'm just an obsessed surf nut who is addicted to foam..... :roll:

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:16 pm

so axolotl did you end up getting the shred sled??? im looking at a new small wave toy after i snapped my Lost Rocket in pissweak 3ft surf....my fault for buying off the rack, i just thought the shape looking interesting.... back to my shaper now i have learnt my lesson

just looking for a fun board for the usual slop that sydney dishes up on a regular basis
Active care for an active lifestyle
Manly Chiropractor
http://www.nbchiro.com.au

axolotl

Post by axolotl » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Brenno, nah i did the same as you, i got a local guy to do a copy of the rocket.
i went off the shred sled because hayden said it wasnt a groveller. but then i dont really rate the rocket ( or at least my copy ) as one either but rather a board for better small waves.

i am currently thinking of getting as JS blak box.

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:55 pm

Fair enough, i looks like it could handle a grovell to me last time i looked at them but i guess it might be like the rocket for better small waves...

im still on the hunt for a newy...let me know what the black box is like, have you checked the sonic?? looks a bit more fun
Manly Chiropractor

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:14 pm

saw the black box vid on the js website looks pretty good actually, will have to see it in real life though
Manly Chiropractor

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:36 pm

JET01 wrote:Grant Miller uses spiral vee on his boards... have a read of his website http://www.waterskatesurfboards.com
Check out the Vskate, not what you're looking for i know, but the explanation is there.

spiral v is sooooooo old school...funny how good they surfed back than too :shock: :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sun May 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi guys,

I checked out a fibreflex hayden shred sled in a shop this arvo, i quite liked the look of them for an east coast alrounder. I know this is an old thread but was wondering if Anyone has any more recent feedback to add?

I like round tail quads but have never ridden one with a flyer so would be interested in feedback on this aspect of board design as well

Cheers,
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Sun May 27, 2012 4:53 pm

just curious ,what is the price of those boards ?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sun May 27, 2012 5:52 pm

gabsouy wrote:just curious ,what is the price of those boards ?
I was quoted $895 today which i think is the price for this technology. You wouldnt want to be paying this much for GSI board which i was looking at, for that much i would want mine to be made in Australia.

They look a nice design though, and i d love to hear how they go.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon May 28, 2012 9:06 am

I have one. It's a SS with a little bit of customisation. I got it shaped by Hayden with FCS and only set up as a thruster config. Same rails as the off the rack and same light double, but I got it into a heavier single concave through the back. Mine is 6'2" x 19 1/2 x 2 1/2, so it's a little thinner than the stock one too.

I got put onto them a few months back by Marti Para, who rides his in everything from 2 foot beachies to 8 foot Shipsterns.

Great board. Not as durable as the Dynocore, but possibly lighter. I can't notice any difference when I ride Hayden's FF, or Dave's dyno's compared to PU boards, which is a real testament to how they're made and the technology they're using.

It's a legit 2-8 foot board. Paddles well. I've had in howling offshores and never thought it was hard to get into waves or hung up in the wind like some epoxies do and like what Natho referred to above ˆˆ

The flyer def adds another dimension to this board. Off the top it's looser, I find it really easy to pump and get going through dead sections. When it's super hollow, I can be hit & miss setting the rail on a steep drop. Not sure if that's the flyer, or the fact I might be under-gunned, or just not as good surfer as Marti ...

All in all it's one of my favourite boards I've ridden in the last 2-3 years. If guys are after a 1-board quiver from dribble to solid overhead, I'd recommend a shred sled in a heartbeat.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon May 28, 2012 9:55 am

Braithy wrote: My 6'2" x 19 1/2 was battling to stay on them. Speed wobbles down the faces, sketchy bottom turns. Made things harder than they ought to be, I think.
:D
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon May 28, 2012 5:08 pm

jimmy wrote:
Braithy wrote: My 6'2" x 19 1/2 was battling to stay on them. Speed wobbles down the faces, sketchy bottom turns. Made things harder than they ought to be, I think.
:D
lol ... I probably woulda liked a 6'6" pintail. A black beauty woulda been the balls.
Kunji wrote:

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks for the detailed feedback braithy, did you choose the thruster set up because of your personal preference or is the board designed to be a thruster? I have often thought that boards are either a thruster or a quad the 5/4/3 set up could be detrimental to some boards/surfers.

Also, why did you go for the deeper single concave? I am asking because i ll go the custom option as well.

I am looking for a thruster suited to general gold coast beachies and points...not shipsterns! i have a fun waist to chest high groveller (quad) so am looking for an alrounder which the sled sounds like a good option. I like the outline of the sled with its fish style nose, round tail and flyer.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue May 29, 2012 10:53 am

JaM71 wrote:Thanks for the detailed feedback braithy, did you choose the thruster set up because of your personal preference or is the board designed to be a thruster? I have often thought that boards are either a thruster or a quad the 5/4/3 set up could be detrimental to some boards/surfers.

Also, why did you go for the deeper single concave? I am asking because i ll go the custom option as well.

I am looking for a thruster suited to general gold coast beachies and points...not shipsterns! i have a fun waist to chest high groveller (quad) so am looking for an alrounder which the sled sounds like a good option. I like the outline of the sled with its fish style nose, round tail and flyer.
The deeper concave is just a personal preference. Based off a MR super twin. I wanted to be able to pump and drive the board more than what it's designed for. It also makes the board 'skatey' and the downside is it's a little sketchy in the bigger stuff compared to say Marti's boards where he can comfortably charge 8-foot -- speed wobbles, not enough hold through bottom turns etc when it's overhead to double overhead.

Same reasons ... with the thruster set up too mate, Hayden says the quad is for more hold when it's bigger & hollower. I was really after a board more geared for 1-5 foot, which is why I got the subtle changes made to the board. Stock standard its a 2-8 foot board, the upper end needed as a quad.

Hope thats some kind of help.
Kunji wrote: