what's your take on what'd work for this??

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: what's your take on what'd work for this??

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:17 am

iggy wrote:
steve shearer wrote:you've got everything so dialed and prescriptive, why not just explain your requirements to a shaper and let em create something.
Show 'em some video of yourself surfing and how you want to surf .....then let them create.
good idea..
i was thinking of the whole video thing, or going for a surf with said shaper beforehand..
((may as well say it))
> i'm gonna get RichQ (pure) to shape it, and it's likely i'd be able to go for a wave with him at some point..
i suppose what i've got down for the specs is a bit particular, but it's what i reckon would go well..
but all the same, definitely open to suggestions (hence this whole topic)..
ultimately, whatever the shaper reckons is what i'd go for..
It has been discussed that maybe one day you might try to shape one yourself, just not discussed with you. :D

I wouldn’t be putting calipers on too many boards... many a slip between the pencil and reality.

There’s a 6'4" at the moment with Cl_lnt written on it, must be a sign. :twisted: Story behind that one and knucklehead’s glassing (his, not mine). :twisted:

If ya gunna get him in person, better make it a Saturday, bring dust filters (Cooper’s Light) or is it my shout? Think it is. :P

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:21 pm

seems to me that you would have had a fair few similar boards over all your years of surfing iggy. Your just after an all-rounder by the looks. As has been alluded to already, your not really gonna learn anything new talking on the forums about it, especially cause its gonna be a pretty standard board.
Maybe you just after a bit of talk about yourself :lol: :!:
Little bit of an egocentric thing going on :?: :shock: :lol:
any bites?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:59 am

iggy wrote:^^ if there's a 6'4 lurking about the traps you believe has Clygnt/Clunt written all over it, then let's talk...
Well there is, but I think you need more volume than the aforementioned.

Jimi, I’ll bite ya bum :twisted: they may all look pretty much the same but magic ones are just that. Most people won’t stray to far from what they think works, probably more is the pity.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:23 pm

[quote="ric_vidalthey may all look pretty much the same but magic ones are just that. Most people won’t stray to far from what they think works, probably more is the pity.[/quote]

I'd agree with that, got 2 boards that claim and look to be identical specs, though one round tail, other rounded square, really like the round tail, dont like the other at all.
And i havnt ridden enough yet to claim any board as a magic one, but of coarse ive got favourites
Last edited by Jimi on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:32 pm

iggy wrote:
jimi wrote:not really gonna learn anything new talking on the forums about it, especially cause its gonna be a pretty standard board.
um, disagree..

like i said at the start of the thread, it was like a flow on from the FCS quad thread, where everyone was either an expert, or on the attack or defense, but the thing is, fins are only 'one' aspect of a boards design, and there was lot of conflicting opinions, and thought it'd be interesting to give a set criteria for the entire design of a board (range 3-6 foot, tight in the pocket as possible, tight top-to-bottom, but still an amount of drive and projection down the line) and see what came up..
i have my ideas on what i think would work, but if there's other ways to go about it, then why not milk that as well?
Yeah fair enough, hope you do get some slightly new or different ideas. I guess the length you mentioned is the main thing that might get changed from this thread. I still agree that your best bet is to go the 'surf with a shaper' route for their opinions, but yeah....I guess you can never have too many opinions.....then again, might complicate things.
Are you a fan of slight swallow tails? maybe rounded a little for hold but also allow good release and speed??

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi iggy

the volume might be OK for you, I haven't met you or seen you surf so that's a bit hard to pick

but ... something worth considering ... some designers seem better at working with volume than others.

Good big-guy hi perf shapers around the nth bches include Simon, Jamie Cheal (Chilli), Peter Daniell (Division)

Simon's always been good at it because he himself is big, likewise to some extent with Jamie, but more 'cause he just seems to be able to preserve volume in boards that are otherwise razor sharp.

Chilli's cool lil thumbtail outlines look like they'd be a lot of fun in 3-6' vertically inclined surf.

Peter's on a bit of a roll right now for some reason, everyone I know who's ridden one of his recently have been like "wow, this thing's doing the job!"

One last thought, I saw an MR Surftech Super Twin (the one with the small trailing fin) being ridden the other day by a really good surfer of my acquaintance, it was the 6'2" model and the board was looking pretty damn smooth, very Rolls Royce -- flotation yet bite, cruising the flats and slicing the steep bits. Yeah yeah I know people are hung up about Surftech but whatever, this was an excellent board.

ps see jimi, there's always something you can get from consulting your fellow surfers

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:18 am

Nick Carroll wrote: Good big-guy hi perf shapers around the nth bches include Simon, Jamie Cheal (Chilli)
From what I have heard you can just about guarantee neither of them will shape your board, especially Simon. Chilli Corp :arrow: :| hope they are all selling or that fan is going to change colour

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:42 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: ps see jimi, there's always something you can get from consulting your fellow surfers
point taken, best thing is though im starting to get a bit from this thread too, ideas for my next stick -which wont be any time soon unfortunatly-$$$