what's your take on what'd work for this??

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Re: what's your take on what'd work for this??

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:36 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

'llo-and Behold
regular

Post by 'llo-and Behold » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:32 pm

Too long and its not gonna get in the pocket of a 3'er, eh?
Yesty, I surfed a mate's 6'3". Thought it'd be a pig but ripped up these gutless 3'ers with ease. Would conceivably handle overhead, too. 2.5" thick. Don't remember the width, but wide point was tailside. Single -double concave. Medium rocker. No, actually, flattish with a bit of nose kick. Bat tail.Cole custom

'llo-and Behold
regular

Post by 'llo-and Behold » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:32 pm

'twas a fwuster, too.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:35 pm

For post work daylight savings slop or real waves?

Forget about a 6'5".
Thats a horrible in between length unless your in Indo.

Get fitter, buy Carroll's book and go a 6'2 or 6'3".

Jordy Smith model JS's looked pretty on the money.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:42 pm

Iggs,

It's kinda the million dollar question. A board that does everything well. I guess that's the board we all keep searching for.

As an example a board that surfs tight in the pocket is going to have more bottom curve in general. But that's going to be at the expense of speed out on the flats.

As far as fin set ups, well yes a tri is probably going to be a better bet for tight in the pocket surfing. If you want speed out on the flats, then a quad is going to do that very well (horses for courses).

I guess what you are after is an all rounder that does everything as well as possible.

I would suggest talking with a good shaper re an all round performance board. Nearly all shapers will have a model that is designed for that and yes it will most probably be a tri in that instance.

One model that works damn well for me as an all rounder is Simon's XFC model. I find it does nearly everything very well in most conditions. But that's what works for me, and by no means will is suit everyone.

Anyway that's my two cents worth and only my own opinion.

Now considering your a Frkn Tick, I would suggest either a SUP, or one of those Roy Stewart wooden specials.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:55 pm

sounds similar to my present everydayer ... but a tad thicker ... you have a few kg's on me ... :wink:

it's probably well known that I love that style of board though ... with a simple fin change it is very adaptable to a range of conditions ... I get that most people change styles of boards for certain wave conditions but I stick with essentially very similar boards with different length (obviously) and different rail and concave configurations ... this way I can also use a small range of fins too as smaller wave fins for one board also work in the bigger board beacause I can rely on the rail and tail set up for speed and holding ability ... I like this system becasue I stay used to the board type even though the wave conditions change and I get my enjoyment that way ...

that's why I think that it would be a good choice ... :idea:

the fins pictured are not fcs but but fit fcs and are a half price dion version of a top shelf fcs ... they would probably suit what you are describing for a more carving style as they are pretty stiff ... I use those for larger or faster waves (they went great in Fiji recently :idea: ) but in smaller surf they provide good momentum as they are very drivey and with your power and weight (not offending ... :idea: ) you would probably find them good for carving turns ... they are fairly rakey but are not big so the rake provides good drive and the size is more adaptable to pushing the board around ...

anyway's my too bob's worth ... a good choice I reckon and I'm saying that from the perspective of what I know of you not what I personally like too ... also it sits perfectly in RQ's zone ... :idea:

P5090198 (Medium).JPG
P5090195 (Medium).JPG
P5090187 (Medium).JPG

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:32 pm

iggy wrote:i note a lot of similarities between my surfing and yours
you f'ckin shred ... :idea:

:mrgreen:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:42 pm

iggy wrote:
Surfin Turf wrote:also it sits perfectly in RQ's zone ...
yeeeeeeppppp...
(wasn't gonna elude to that, but you've caught me out) :)
Hope my order gets in before yours Iggs.
iggy wrote:S&T, i've seen footage of you're surfing, and with no offense to you ( :lol: )i note a lot of similarities between my surfing and yours (low centre of gravity, rounded out approach, knuckles dragging through the water even in full stand-up height, excessive neck and back hair, tendency to growl regularly, inability to see any other surfer out there who has got the wave before you did, positively sunny disposition :shock: )
Fixed

Ahh, I could go on, and may well do at a later stage.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:57 pm

oldman wrote:
iggy wrote:S&T, i've seen footage of you're surfing, and with no offense to you ( :lol: )i note a lot of similarities between my surfing and yours (low centre of gravity, rounded out approach, knuckles dragging through the water even in full stand-up height, excessive neck and back hair, tendency to growl regularly, masterbating and throwing sh!t at people, eating bananas, picking nits off friends and eating them, inability to see any other surfer out there who has got the wave before you did, positively sunny disposition coupled with an intense hate for everyone ...

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:33 pm

iggy wrote: >for hollow and slightly fatter waves
Agree with earlier comments -
What you want is the perfect board.

Plenty of boards out there to fill those criteria but none will be "perfect". Tricky brief because the hollow v's fat criteria is difficult and directly influences the amount of rocker. You say low/medium entry rocker, then flat through the middle and good tail lift which is the classic compromise rocker to try and get the best of both worlds, but surfing in the pocket will demand more rocker which will not be an advantage on the flats.
The type of rocker is probably the main factor affecting your board choice given it sounds like you already really know what you're after.
base-simon-anderson-sxe2-front-v[1].gif
sxe2 ?

Maybe a Rusty T2 ?(think they're called terminator model now). 6'4" is all you need in length. Got one, goes good (for me). Squash tail. Good tail lift. Good rocker throughout, meets your brief. Good distribution of foam, well hidden, "neutral" even foil. Great for slightly bigger guys. I am roughly same height and weight as you.

Far as fins go - can of worms, very personal. On your own there. Agree mediums though.

How long since you've been to a board shop and kicked a few tyres? Some good sticks around at the moment imo. Always a good way to compare and contrast and help refine your needs in a real sense. Due to the subtle differences in performance board designs, i find it always helps to get 2 or 3 boards on a carpet bench to really note the variation between them.

Other than that, a 7S superfish would be the go :mrgreen:
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

huie
Local

Post by huie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:54 pm

slowly working on that for those poor old bastards haa''

huie
Local

Post by huie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:57 pm

hard to put a decent pic on here

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:14 am

well if you wanna surf tight in the pocket, you are gunna need to go shorter than 6'5 , and you got that covered...but then you want it to surf well in the flats too, so you'll need a bit of area and flatter rocker....but the pocket surfing requires more rocker....so you are farrkkedd , it cant be done, sorry..
Nah, have to aim for that middle ground, the happy medium, the holy grail of surfboards...
Loose and fast, light and strong... :roll: I would go even shorter, 6'2" x 19 1/2" x 2 5/8" why ?, coz to surf a board in the pocket in smaller waves, you need the board to fit in there and just look at the size of the top surfers boards these days, they are all quite short and it is so they can do alot of turns in critical parts of the waves, by goin shorter you gunna need to increase volume slightly, doesnt mean it has to be chunky, disperse the foam well....rocker is critical IMO, nice even gradual curves, probably the most important thing in this board is the correct rocker...too much tail rocker will stop it from being carvy as you wanted but too littl and you wont get that turning radius for the vertical and pocket surfing...but with goin shorter you can over power a slightly flatter rocker ...
got my thoughts on bottom contours but it may sound like a sales pitch so wont go there.... :roll:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:28 am

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:04 am

Then add some of this

start wearing your pants like this

and you'll be RIPPPIN' MATE!!!!!
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:33 pm

I've got to ask the question Iggy but can you really notice the difference between 2 1/2 and 2 9/16?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:08 pm

you've got everything so dialed and prescriptive, why not just explain your requirements to a shaper and let em create something.
Show 'em some video of yourself surfing and how you want to surf .....then let them create.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

dragon
Grommet

Post by dragon » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:06 pm

that lovely piece of work from Huie is now mine, can let you know how it goes when there is swell.
I'm a little bit older and a couple kegs lighter that you and what you started the thread with is pretty much what i told Huie.