First Quadfin.....feedback.

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

First Quadfin.....feedback.

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:52 am

I';ve always thought quads were ghey and would disappear like Glen Wintons webbed gloves but Pridmore shaped one for me and I rode it yesterday.

The outline was clean and pleasing...fuller proportioned modern shortboard.....Mollusc-y , with standard shotboard bottom contours.
Felt good under the arm, felt good on the paddle, felt good on the first wave.
This board felt totally comfortable from the git go......I was trying to feel any difference from a quad to a thruster..this board has the McKee style split thruster set-up.

It ran smooth through it's turn arcs and wanted to carve top to bottom, not in a sensitive new age way but with plenty to push against, for blokes who grew up riding single fins and can find a modern shortboard schizophrenic and under-nourished that is a nice feeling. Like hoe-ing in to a roast dinner when you've been eating lentil loaf.
There's some glide and cushion in the ride.

In recent years my quiver has tended towards specialization: I've got a board which I ride at the Point when it's over 6ft ,a board I ride in 3-5ft barrels at a certain break, boards which light up in small shitty surf, boards I ride in slopey points etc etc. The one thing I don't really have is an all-round shortboard......just seemed too many compromises.

I'd have to say this feels like a smoking all-round shorty for 75% of the surf around here.
I'm still not sure if I notice a real "quad" feeling...the design elements of the board are all working and it's such an easy-riding board that I'll need to take it in surf at it's limits to feel something there .......maybe some big, ragged, hollow beachbreak to see if there is any extra hold from that fin area. I'd expect there would.

Quads hey....who woulda thunk it.
Now where's those paddling gloves.
quad.jpg
quad.jpg (25.56 KiB) Viewed 5762 times
quad2.jpg
quad2.jpg (18.69 KiB) Viewed 5760 times
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Re: First Quadfin.....feedback.

Post by black duck » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:00 am

Descriptions like that make me want one.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:18 am

6'3" by 191/2" by 2 5/8"

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:39 am

hahhaa....I've got 6 hours as a bachelor left....cleaning up now.

actually thats BS...I'm paying someone to do it.
Man needs a maid.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:47 am

steve shearer wrote:6'3" by 191/2" by 2 5/8"
steve ... have to agree with dino firstly, at least move your socks and undies off the bed before taking a pic ... it was only a couple of weeks back you were complaining about my photography skills ... :idea: :mrgreen: :arrow:

anyway ... what are you dims ... :?: reason I ask is that I see a lot of quad's about that are fat 'alternative' style craft but yours obviously is more performance orientated ... however 2 5/8 is fairly thick and looking at the pics it looks like the volume has been carried though the the tail and also through the nose and possibly a little extra width in the nose ... not accusing you of being overweight, but I'm curious to know if the volume is there to float you, or is it providing a better ride in small conditions providing some speed and momentum because it sits higher in the water ... :?:

it looks like a board that would suit me if I was to try something similar ... :idea:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:51 am

steve shearer wrote:I'm still not sure if I notice a real "quad" feeling...the design elements of the board are all working and it's such an easy-riding board that I'll need to take it in surf at it's limits to feel something there ......
I got a slim bat quad off Mark last year. Feels nice, paddles great.

Still trying to get my head around exactly what a "quad feeling" is. Definitely noticed greater hold in steeper faces, which I put down to the extra fin sitting in the water, extra drive as well, but as my surfing vocabulary is limited I'm finding it hard to elucidate exactly what is going on, or even understand it really.

Don't think Mark was using the McKee set up on the slim bat, but interested in what you come up with Steve. It's different, but I can't say I have tested it limits or worked out how I should adjust my thinking for the quad.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:09 am

Surfin Turf wrote: anyway ... what are you dims ... :?: reason I ask is that I see a lot of quad's about that are fat 'alternative' style craft but yours obviously is more performance orientated ... however 2 5/8 is fairly thick and looking at the pics it looks like the volume has been carried though the the tail and also through the nose and possibly a little extra width in the nose ... not accusing you of being overweight, but I'm curious to know if the volume is there to float you, or is it providing a better ride in small conditions providing some speed and momentum because it sits higher in the water ... :?:
I'm 75clicks.
I know those dims sound big.....the other shorty I've got ( the little compsand retro one) is 5'11" by 23/8' by 19" and is way less board.
The rails are fined out and the thing surfs very loose...doesn't feel like those dims on a wave.
It doesn't sit that high in the water nor surf on top of it fish style...it runs along it's rail and is happy to surf vertically into the pocket.
But that is all backhand.....I'm yet to surf it forehand.
I'd say it's got above average volume when compared to modern fashions in shortboard design but it doesn't have any boaty feelings.
If youse cnuts evr get this BBQ organised I'll bring it down and you can try for yourself.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:27 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:35 am

steve shearer wrote:...it runs along it's rail and is happy to surf vertically into the pocket.
But that is all backhand.....I'm yet to surf it forehand..
intersting you say that ... when I play around with fins I find that backhand I surf with more weight on the tail and so have a different feel to forehand where I tend to be a bit more forward and find I can really notice a tighter or looser set up more on my forehand ... this is mainly due to my f'ked leg but have wondered if anyone else notices the differences ... would be interested to hear how it feels forehand ... :idea:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:45 pm

robzig wrote:If you don't feel the difference from a thruster, it ain't a proper quad and you should just ride a thruster. The rears look way to close for me, similar to the way Slater has his set up.

I set up my quads more like the Stretch/Cole method. Loves a high line and sits in the barrel perfect. Lose and accelerate FAST! something a thruster will never do. :D

it has Mckee fin placements ....its good that you position yours where you think is best but after quite alot of playing with fins and positioning, I have been running with Mckees set up and have had good results and they definitely seem more thrusterish in feel but that is what majority want...funny that guys want a board that is a quad but surfs almost thrusterish but with a few differences ( and advantages IMO ) as Iggy can explain better than most...but I am happy with how the boards are feeling and I did alot of tesing myself to be sure that this is how I wanted em to feel...Steve is alos giving me some feedback and I look forward to more...if adjustments-improvements can be made than they will....its good that people position them differently IMO, I place mine on the rail more for my Fat-Bats coz they seem to go better out ther on the wide tailed shapes IMO

The board was always meant to be an all-rounder with a touch extra area and volume but still a performance shorty and although the thickness does seem like more than he needs, he seems to enjoy some foam like myself...stoked to hear its goin well for ya .... 8)

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:23 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:18 pm

robzig wrote:If you don't feel the difference from a thruster, it ain't a proper quad and you should just ride a thruster. The rears look way to close for me, similar to the way Slater has his set up.

I set up my quads more like the Stretch/Cole method. Loves a high line and sits in the barrel perfect. Lose and accelerate FAST! something a thruster will never do. :D
First off, welcome to the club Steve, once you get that forehand speed happening and can take a really high line to hard bottom turn to get some projection you will know what all the fuss is about. Also nice board Mark. To be honest I have seen some of your other boards and they just didnt do it for me, but that board looks like it would smoke. Shame you dont do EPS and epoxy. I have a couple of boards similar to that , very similar except the fin placement is different as Rob pointed out. Mark it might be worth playing around with the spacing of the back fins. I think Stretch (like Rob I am a massive fan) has got that dialed in. McKee has tried to factor in too many variables when suggesting spacing in my view. I would have to say, why build a quad if it behaves like a thruster?? Finally, its worth remembering, that a quad, like a thruster or a twinny (think MR) will not work for everyone. We all surf different and work better ( or worse) with different tools (tools as in surfboards, not Ringmaster).

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:25 pm

Mark saw a Stretch quad on ebay, picture of the fin placement, might be useful to you?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:36 pm

no need, I have copied one and am riding one soon...

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:12 am

Great looking board Steve, good to see your appetite for quiver expansion is as large as ever :D . Please give us an update when you have given it a few more goes - and sussed it on both lefts and rights. I just picked up a simular machine (little taller, little fatter - like me :lol: ), only had one surf so to early for me to get my head around it. Great work MP - Spence

Butts

Post by Butts » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:12 pm

steve shearer wrote:6'3" by 191/2" by 2 5/8"
Dims are the same as my quad, MP must be making MORE of them 8)
Fin setup aint the same though. :?

Like you Steve I'm enjoying mine,although speed and drive is the difference I notice most. :wink:
(My surfing aint in your league) :oops:

Waiting for a decent swell, OVERCAST or RAINING so I don't get tempted to shoot with the camera
rather then have a good surf. :cry: :evil:
3-4ft it works well, want to find how 5-6ft on a hollower wave she'll perform.
All these drawings about dinosaurs… Why can’t we have photos?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:35 pm

keen to hear any further feedback SS...would be interested in giving you some other fins to try in the QF sometime down the track...would like to have a few waves on it myself, have to catch up for a surf soon so I can see how it is goin for you.... 8)

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:23 pm

Sounds good MP....bit snowed under at the moment.
Hoping to get something out of this next burst of swell....got a sly bank pegged out.