SA Shapers

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

goldguru

SA Shapers

Post by goldguru » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:12 pm

Can anybody out there recommend any good shapers in SA???

cactus
Grommet

Re: SA Shapers

Post by cactus » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Rodney "Weasel" Bedford is the man you need...
Formerly Cut-Loose now doing his 100% surfboards label.
Google the latter for contact details...

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:41 pm

Given the crap that's going on at Cutties not surprised Weasel is out of it. I am just wondering which supplier called in the receivers? :shock: I like the look of Weasel's boards, but I have never surfed one I liked. There's enough kiddies out at Seaford ripping on them though, so they seem to go OK.

Moth was a good shaper, but I don't think he's doing anything around Adelaide these days.

Glen Duncan ( Nasty Surfboards ) is the bloke to see if you want something outside the square, not too many guys in SA prepared to make some of the nutso stuff be does.

Paul Gravelle does nice guns for West Coast and Indo if that's your thing, but he's broadened his range into Mals / Fish / Funboards as well.

Sadly shapers here have always been a bit pricey compared to their eastern states counterparts. I know quite a few blokes here who book cheap flights to the goldy and come back with a couple of nice boards that would have cost them $150 (each) more here.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:51 pm

dug is the only one I know so he gets my vote... 8)

goldguru

Post by goldguru » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:29 pm

Thanks lads...

I am looking at getting something a bit versatile. I surf mostly at Seaford but want to be able to tackle some of the bigger stuff, say 4' to 5' as well. Ive also got an Indo trip planned for next year.

I would apprecate any thoughts on which way to go board wise?

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:23 pm

pridmore wrote:dug is the only one I know so he gets my vote... 8)
LOL Mark I don't think I could handle the pressure of making a board for anyone else but me. Plus I don't know how to make "normal" boards!!! I don't know how these guys can just pump out a steady stream of 6'0 x 18" x 2 1/8" single concave plain white boards. In a way I can only admire their consistency, but geez... must be a bit soul destroying.... :shock:
goldguru wrote: I surf mostly at Seaford

My condolences. :P

But seriously, Weasel's shapes are Seaford through and through, so provided the price is good he's worth having a chat to. Just see if you can get it off him direct, as opposed to through a shop who will stick a margin on top of his price. :wink:

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:38 pm

My current board is shaped by Weasel under the Cutloose brand and it's been great for me over the last 2 or so years. Loved it from the first time I hooked into a wave on it!

Have a new custom Warner which should be in my hands in a couple of weeks :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see how it goes!

Wierd about Cutties going down, got any news on the issue Dug??

cactus
Grommet

Post by cactus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:23 pm

It seems Cutloose got a BAD case of Maggot infestation...

Weasel's contact no; 0439436007

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:35 pm

cactus wrote:It seems Cutloose got a BAD case of Maggot infestation...
LOL
SAsurfa wrote:Wierd about Cutties going down, got any news on the issue Dug??
SA... I went for a sneaky recco earlier in the week expecting to see at least one supplier's rack empty... I was surprised to find the place is still fairly well stocked and no hint of the sh1tstorm going on behind the scenes.

ASIC website lists Cutloose & Wind Energy as in Voluntary Administration as of May 9 2009.

It also lists the entity as "Cutloose Yorkes Classic" as de-registered. :shock:

Three months out SA's premier surf contest has no major sponsor... and AFAIK, no-one sticking their hand up... :?

goldguru

Post by goldguru » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:06 pm

cactus wrote:It seems Cutloose got a BAD case of Maggot infestation...

Weasel's contact no; 0439436007
Thanks Catcus, I'll give him a call...

Looks like shit waves at Seaford for the second weekend in a row... :x
Might have to head down south?

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:31 pm

better do it Saturday morning... rest of the weekend looks either onshore or blown out down there. :(

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:19 pm

dUg wrote:ASIC website lists Cutloose & Wind Energy as in Voluntary Administration as of May 9 2009.

It also lists the entity as "Cutloose Yorkes Classic" as de-registered. :shock:
Wow, never though about the Classic! Surely Coopers could throw in a few more dollars or hopefully someone else comes on board :shock:

We'll wait and see..

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:09 pm

Just discovered they have been bailed out... but by whom? And will the new owners back the Yorke's comp? I'm on the edge of my seat... :roll: :wink:

Billyofthesouth

Post by Billyofthesouth » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:31 pm

Posted this in the logs, eggs .. etc forum before I found this thread.

My history is this - I'm 28, 5'11" and 83-ish kilograms, I'm from Brisbane originally and surfed in my teens (as a weekend/school hols warrior on the gold & sunny coasts), I certainly didn't ever rip but was well beyond the novice/beginner phase. Since I moved to Adelaide about 5 years ago I haven't really gotten wet at all (something about the cold water and sharks kind of turned me off for a while)... but I'm very keen to get back into it.

Given the usual conditions on the mid & south coasts here and the fact that I need to seriously rediscover my feet (not to mention fitness) I'm kind of wondering what sort of board to look at, and which local shapers have a good rep...

Have been looking at Mark Wallbridge's website, looks like they do a quad fish/shortboard hybrid that sounds like it suits the conditions here really well, should I be looking at this kind of thing or is it better to go with a standard shortboard?

And what length? 6'4-ish?

Any help would be much appreciated!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:34 am

jeez, just reading this thread brings back memories of when I lived down that way, loved surfing down in the yorkes area, some nice uncrowded waves down there, but the mid coast makes the sunshine coast look like perfection even on a crappy day :lol: Seaford was just a shit fight but some bloody good surfers there. But I admit Im talking over 5 years ago when you could still buy a home at Christies and get change out of 160 000
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:40 pm

diggerdickson wrote:jeez, just reading this thread brings back memories of when I lived down that way, loved surfing down in the yorkes area, some nice uncrowded waves down there, but the mid coast makes the sunshine coast look like perfection even on a crappy day :lol: Seaford was just a shit fight but some bloody good surfers there. But I admit Im talking over 5 years ago when you could still buy a home at Christies and get change out of 160 000
LOL. You remember the little blue fibro house on the espy at Seaford, 2 doors up from Pete & Raelene Howse's place, next door to Jack's? Sold a couple of weeks ago for $650k.

:shock:

Got some more goss on the Cutloose saga last week too. New owners = Old owners except with a substution. Weazel out... Luke Horlin Smith ( FLY ) in. 51% stake or so I am told...

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:02 pm

Billyofthesouth wrote:Posted this in the logs, eggs .. etc forum before I found this thread.

My history is this - I'm 28, 5'11" and 83-ish kilograms, I'm from Brisbane originally and surfed in my teens (as a weekend/school hols warrior on the gold & sunny coasts), I certainly didn't ever rip but was well beyond the novice/beginner phase. Since I moved to Adelaide about 5 years ago I haven't really gotten wet at all (something about the cold water and sharks kind of turned me off for a while)... but I'm very keen to get back into it.

Given the usual conditions on the mid & south coasts here and the fact that I need to seriously rediscover my feet (not to mention fitness) I'm kind of wondering what sort of board to look at, and which local shapers have a good rep...

Have been looking at Mark Wallbridge's website, looks like they do a quad fish/shortboard hybrid that sounds like it suits the conditions here really well, should I be looking at this kind of thing or is it better to go with a standard shortboard?

And what length? 6'4-ish?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Ben ( Wallbridge ) makes a half decent quad, not wrapped in any I have seen shaped by Weasel. Bear in mind on the Mid Coast unless you're a lightweight like me, you'll only get to surf it in anything decent about a dozen times a year. And you'll need to be fit to get waves off everyone else who's all over it on days like that.

If you're looking to ease back into it you could do worse than second-hand a mini-mal, 8' - 8'6" would mean you'd still get something on those days your shortboard would just sink. I hated the bloody things for years because I only ever saw kooks falling off and flinging them at my head, but the last two summers I have had a ball on my 8'2 and kept in shape for those rare days it gets over 2'. Stick some good fins in it and you can surf it like a shorty and get your surfing legs back.

Plenty of shops down here have s/h quads of various types, but most are asking too much for them - usually cheaper to buy on off ebay and get it sent here. Most custom shortboards here are also a lot more expensive than equiv. quality off the rack shorties from East Coast or Vicco shapers. Probably not the most parochial admission I know, but getting up near $800 for a locally shaped standard three fin board is too pricey IMHO.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:56 pm

dUg wrote:
diggerdickson wrote:jeez, just reading this thread brings back memories of when I lived down that way, loved surfing down in the yorkes area, some nice uncrowded waves down there, but the mid coast makes the sunshine coast look like perfection even on a crappy day :lol: Seaford was just a shit fight but some bloody good surfers there. But I admit Im talking over 5 years ago when you could still buy a home at Christies and get change out of 160 000
LOL. You remember the little blue fibro house on the espy at Seaford, 2 doors up from Pete & Raelene Howse's place, next door to Jack's? Sold a couple of weeks ago for $650k.

Got some more goss on the Cutloose saga last week too. New owners = Old owners except with a substution. Weazel out... Luke Horlin Smith ( FLY ) in. 51% stake or so I am told...

Holy crap :shock: maybe I shoulda keeped my place and just rented it out, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".