mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: Mundine.

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun May 31, 2009 4:41 pm

peelys right....idiot :!:

this may help u off the blocks :arrow:

http://news.google.com.au/news?hl=en&rl ... 1&ct=title

p.s lovin the sbw press confrence more than his fight :lol: :lol: :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sun May 31, 2009 5:49 pm

Sorry to be like Buff Brad (Oxford Street spelling bee winner for the last 5 years, he won it last year by correctly spelling sphincter) but you accidentally spelt Mundine with an "i", when it should be an "a"...... Mundane.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sun May 31, 2009 9:08 pm

Don't know shit, EOS.

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Sun May 31, 2009 9:34 pm

His old man was one of the best boxers I ever saw fight ... pity about the glass jaw.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sun May 31, 2009 10:37 pm

Pity abt my acerbic yet not abusive post BLOCKED. :evil:

bood
Grommet

Post by bood » Sun May 31, 2009 11:22 pm

may choc have mercy on you all.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:30 am

Since he bailed on STI this is the most time time I have spent thinking about him.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:40 am

I did say Tony Mundine was a great boxer and 64 knockout wins in 80 fights shows he knew how to put them away as well ... but to get knocked out 15 times himself is not so good. He was never the same fighter after Carlos Monzon knocked him out.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:59 am

just thought he had an interesting place in the Australian pysche : an australian aboriginal muslim loudmouth triple world champion boxer who played state of origin.
Seems like white people would rather disregard him or ignore him, rather than celebrate his achievements as Australia's greatest living sports person.

Seems we'll accept the black man only if he keeps his mouth shut.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:00 pm

steve shearer wrote:just thought he had an interesting place in the Australian pysche : an australian aboriginal muslim loudmouth triple world champion boxer who played state of origin.
Seems like white people would rather disregard him or ignore him, rather than celebrate his achievements as Australia's greatest living sports person.

Its got nothing to do with white or black-its the ego/mouth combination that alienates him.
Sure,being a minority black/muslin gives him an excuse to say people hate him,but a bit of humility wouldn't go astray.Wasn't the reason he gave up R.L because he claimed to be the greatest player ever and had nothing more to achieve.
How's Kostya Tszyu for a comparison-or Kelly Slater or Tiger Woods or Roger Federer etc,etc------

And this is about eighty words too many written about him!
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:14 pm

steve shearer wrote:just thought he had an interesting place in the Australian pysche : an australian aboriginal muslim loudmouth triple world champion boxer who played state of origin.

Wondered where you were going with this Steve.

Loudmouth - yep.

Most of my mates don't like him. Asked the bartender last Wednesday night about how the fight went and his response was; "Don't know, hope he gets his head knocked off." Seems there are plenty of people like him.

Australia's greatest greatest living sports person - yeah probably, couldn't think who would knock him off that title.

He just doesn't raise the hackles with me, which he used to do when playing for the dragons. Happy for his success, and aware that he has to shoot his mouth off for the publicity to generate income from boxing. He doesn't care whether we love or hate him, he just doesn't want to be ignored.

Fact is he has made a motza going over to boxing. Much more than he would ever have made from league.

Good luck to him.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:31 pm

T.P.S. :?:

sorry :oops:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Longy
Grommet

Post by Longy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:34 pm

Sure he is a loud mouth but one thing I admire about Mundine is that he has backed up everything he predicted he would achieve

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:36 pm

^^ +1

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:52 pm

steve shearer wrote:Seems we'll accept the black man only if he keeps his mouth shut.
Steve, I think comments like this do a disservice to race relations in Australia; as if the colour of your skin is the only thing that counts for a persons identity.

But to balance it out I think Mundine's trash talking is equally damaging. After all, he admits that his big-noting is all just playing the entertainment game to fire the public up - that there's no substance in it. So when he moves on to racial attitudes I assume he's also just using that to line his pockets. No sincerity and a quick way to a payday. A cynical opportunist of the highest order.

Make no mistake, if Mundine was a white man he'd be just as loathed. Similarly, there have been many Aboriginal sportsmen that have been accepted: David Peachey, Preston Campbell, all the Ella's, Cathy Freeman, Byron Pickett, Nicky Winmar, Michael O'Lachlan etc etc etc

When David Peachey was playing for Cronulla he was not just tolerated, he was respected. Revered even. He walks down the street at Cronulla and he is still adored, simply because of the way he carried himself on the football field. He was a brilliant leader and, win or lose, set a great example. It had NOTHING to do with the colour of his skin. The kids who flock to get his autograph certainly don't see that.

Someone will probably pipe up here and say something about yobbos in the crowd yelling racist shit or the Nicky Winmar incident. Race relations still have a way to go before they reach parity, but the argument that we should 'accept' Mundine just because of the colour of his skin, irrespective of his behaviour, isn't constructive. At least I don't think so.

It's just another way to bring attention to race at the expense of the qualities we should be judging humans on.

Knobjockey

Post by Knobjockey » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:58 pm

[/quote] He just doesn't raise the hackles with me, which he used to do when playing for the dragons. Happy for his success, and aware that he has to shoot his mouth off for the publicity to generate income from boxing. He doesn't care whether we love or hate him, he just doesn't want to be ignored.

Fact is he has made a motza going over to boxing. Much more than he would ever have made from league.

Good luck to him.[/quote]

From memory he had a propensity to shoot his mouth off before he started boxing...

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:00 pm

I like the guy myself.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love