Power/Balance - surely a scam?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beaver
regular

Power/Balance - surely a scam?

Post by Beaver » Thu May 14, 2009 5:52 pm

I've never really posted much on here before, but I read heaps.. in a kind of perverted way..

Anyway I was having a bit of a cruise through some youtube vids last night.. As one tends to do when uni assignments are due..

And I came across some testimonials from guys like Rasta and Bruce Irons endorsing this product called power/balance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiiR8VG4 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqos2uXB ... re=related

So I thought I'd check out the website and try suss this shit out..
Basically there's some dude in Hawaii who reckons he can harness 'naturally occurring frequencies' that react well with the body and incorporate them into a bunch of different products with holograms on them like necklaces, bracelets, stickers and cards. Now essentially this is supposed to promote balance, flexibility, strength and overall wellness.

They explain the way their product works with what is really some pseudoscientific bullshit. And I can't understand how it could be anything more than a placebo effect. I'm pretty skeptical, I think it’s a gnarly little scam they've got running. But the products aren't particularly expensive and I was really surprised by the number of testimonials there are for this stuff, from some pretty reputable guys, sportspeople from several different sports endorsing the product both on the website and youtube.

I've got a feeling they people in the vids have been scammed in a pretty big way. They do a bunch of bio mechanic tests on people's balance with and without the product. In this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMDE2FIK ... re=related a commenter points out that the dude administering the test applies his weight completely differently at 1:26 and 1:40.

For the guys who it ‘works’ for, do you think it's just a case of a Placebo effect? Or do you think there's any truth in it?

Here's a link to the website
http://powerbalance.net/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1DJzUZcDHY (if you check the comments in this vid theres some angry punters complaining about being scammed)

I pulled this from their FAQ's
How was POWER BALANCE developed?

POWER BALANCE was developed as the marriage of two ideas: First, years of extensive research into holographic and lenticular media showed the complexity of the hologram and the fact that it can be programmed to hold certain frequencies. Second, further research was necessary to understand what frequency it was that best promoted energy flow throughout the body. Once discovered, this led to the unconventional programming of bio-resonating frequencies onto holograms. The result was POWER BALANCE. Similar forms of this technology have been used in Eastern medicine for centuries and are quickly being introduced and embraced in the west.
Last edited by Beaver on Thu May 14, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Re: Preview: Power/Balance - surely a scam?

Post by Lucky Al » Thu May 14, 2009 6:38 pm

nice first post beaver i feel sixk

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu May 14, 2009 6:39 pm

sorry nice 139th post i feel six,

boogaloo
Local

Post by boogaloo » Thu May 14, 2009 9:18 pm

Beaver wrote: ... I can't understand how it could be anything more than a placebo effect.
For the guys who it ‘works’ for, do you think it's just a case of a Placebo effect? Or do you think there's any truth in it?
Don't dis the placebo effect. It's a powerful source of healing.

Any drug can elicit the placebo effect, so for a drug itself to be proven efficaceous it must work significantly better than a placebo.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Re: Power/Balance - surely a scam?

Post by dUg » Fri May 15, 2009 9:54 am

where can we get these placebos? :D

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Fri May 15, 2009 12:15 pm

dUg wrote:where can we get these placebos? :D
i used to buy my placebos from the pool hall above kings cross station and the astra hotel at bondi. but they're both closed. it's hard to get anyone to sell you placebos once you turn 15 or muscle up a bit.
i hear manly corso used to be a good place as well.

my favourite placebo was a 'micro-dot' hundred-and-thousand inside a square of clear sticky tape.
Last edited by purple pyramids on Sat May 16, 2009 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri May 15, 2009 1:06 pm

I have a Power/Balance in my wallet right now! I'm serious! Hang on, I'll get it out.

(rummage, etc)

OK! I am holding the card.

(a minute passes...)

Hmm, not much has happened. Oh well.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri May 15, 2009 1:16 pm

Maybe there is some in this truck!!! :D
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri May 15, 2009 1:35 pm

Get em from that Domingo fella. :lol:

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun May 17, 2009 9:06 am

Hatchman wrote:
Maybe there is some in this truck!!! :D
Hehe... well spotted Hatchman. :D

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun May 17, 2009 9:15 am

boogaloo wrote:Don't dis the placebo effect. It's a powerful source of healing.

Any drug can elicit the placebo effect, so for a drug itself to be proven efficaceous it must work significantly better than a placebo.
No drug works better than a placebo, they're the most efiicacious drug ever invented :!: :shock:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Beaver
regular

Post by Beaver » Sun May 17, 2009 12:21 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:I have a Power/Balance in my wallet right now! I'm serious! Hang on, I'll get it out.

(rummage, etc)

OK! I am holding the card.

(a minute passes...)

Hmm, not much has happened. Oh well.
How did you end up with that in your wallet?