FCS Quads - What are you using ?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, Forum Moderators

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Re: FCS Quads - What are you using ?

Post by Beerfan » Tue May 04, 2010 9:06 am

but add a couple of very small SF4 rears and it surfs like its 10 foot long

Capt i find the same thing, though most quad rears aren't really that small. Smaller than the fronts, but not small in general.
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Tue May 04, 2010 9:59 am

Future Fins rear quad fins seem smaller in general then FCS, not sure why this is?

Am bit of a FF fan in general!

alakaboo
Duke Status

Post by alakaboo » Tue May 04, 2010 11:07 am

Beerfan wrote:but add a couple of very small SF4 rears and it surfs like its 10 foot long
Capt i find the same thing, though most quad rears aren't really that small. Smaller than the fronts, but not small in general.

was talking to someone who uses the longboard sidebites in the rear slots and those old fcs curvy sides in the front. think the sidebites are smaller than the sf4 rears, but they are single foiled. they don't use anything else now.
sf4 fronts also have a bit of ?curve?. not sure how to describe what i mean...

i'm still getting used to my quads and haven't played with fins much, but i'm keen to go the opposite way, bigger rears and smaller fronts. i've done most surfing on singles and 2+1s, so want to see how that works.
The peacock slowly shakes himself out in an act that could be mistaken as effortless were it not for the thought of his withholding a quivering.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue May 04, 2010 2:30 pm

Got a good look at a set of the K2.1 PC Quads in a bloke's Al Merrick poddy thing in the carpark yesterday. Fronts are standard k2.1 sides, but the rears are like a scaled down k2.1 side with a 70 / 30 foil. I've seen the guy surf before and he's not too shabby, and they seemed to be going well for him ( he's pretty much my size so a lightweight ) yesterday in 2 - 3' waves.

In my setup I started with TC Aqualines in the front and G3 sides ( no inside foil ) in the back and the hold was excellent in steep down-the-line surf of waves, but there was a slight tendency to track ( board's 5'9" ) in flatter sections.

Last week I swapped the G3's for some bamboo trailer jobbies I got from China, that are a GL rip-off. The tabs are set forward so the fins sit further back, and they are a lot smaller in surface area. Again since it's a rail style setup they have no inside foil.

Given this setup some thorough testing during this latest run of swell, and they are working really, really well.

fins1.jpg

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed May 05, 2010 12:55 pm

Looks fun dUG

I think that all of this experimentation with quad fins is great. I'm starting to learn some basic principles now:

- Total fin area matters, so when moving from a semi-fish HPS thruster to a semi-fish HPS quad you are going to want to scale down all of your fins to keep the same total area (you just added 33% more fin area with the 4th fin), otherwise it'll bite way too much.

- Want the board to turn better off the front foot with check-style turns - decrease the size of the front fins.

- Want the board to pivot better when you put pressure on the back foot - decrease the size of the rear fins.

- McKee quads tend to feel smoother when you use fin sizes only one size apart (e.g. M5/M3, M3/G1000, etc.), otherwise the board will feel stiff off the front foot but pivot really well off the back foot (weird).

I'm yet to nut out more rail-centric quads, as my current snub nose 5'7" has the Fat-Bat placement. That'll be interesting :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Wed May 05, 2010 2:06 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:- Total fin area matters

My word. That's why I can't quite understand these blokes I see with the same fronts and rears in their setups. What are they aiming for there?

Cpt.Caveman wrote:I'm yet to nut out more rail-centric quads, as my current snub nose 5'7" has the Fat-Bat placement. That'll be interesting :)

LOL... you sound like you're at the same place I am with stringer centric quads ;). I have surfed a couple and they did little for me... I wanted something that felt *less* like a thruster to surf. So far that's exactly what I've found.

Hopefully I will get to try out the Fat Bat placement when the QF finally makes it to SA. You can bet I'll be changing fins though! :D

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:49 am

Right I need some help choosing a new set of quad fins.

Me 6'0 x 84kgs

I have been using:

--> PC5 front with M3 center back;
--> M5 Front with M3 sides back;
--> I've tried H2 medium quad set - felt too small.

Am I under finning myself? :?

I'm thinking of one of these sets for surfing in 2 to 4ft beach breaks.

1: Stretch SF4 Large
2: R2 Quad Large
3: Q-PC7
4: K2.1 PC Quad

Anyone ridden these sets? Or with all the C Drive talk should I be using a quad set of those :?

Thanks
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:33 am

I found I like fairly raked fins with bigger fronts and smaller rears. I like long fast turns, not snaps and stuff. Shapers quad-e works real good for me on a fatbat, prob similar to the rusty they are about a size 6 front and sx style rear. I found anything with a big rear (m3) was reall 'hangy' at the top of the wave and during takeoff. Only tried a few sets though.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:30 pm

BDL77 wrote:Right I need some help choosing a new set of quad fins.

Me 6'0 x 84kgs

I have been using:

--> PC5 front with M3 center back;
--> M5 Front with M3 sides back;
--> I've tried H2 medium quad set - felt too small.

Am I under finning myself? :?

I'm thinking of one of these sets for surfing in 2 to 4ft beach breaks.

1: Stretch SF4 Large
2: R2 Quad Large
3: Q-PC7
4: K2.1 PC Quad

Anyone ridden these sets? Or with all the C Drive talk should I be using a quad set of those :?

Thanks

It depends on the type of board that you want, and how the fins might compliment the board or otherwise.

I ride three different quads as my main boards, and they all seem to surf better with different fin combos, never the same.

I guess a better question is, what fin combo are you using most of the time now, and how do you want it to behave differently to how it does now? That will give you a better idea if whether you need less fin area here or there, less or more rake, more or less fin depth, etc. Then that will marry up to some fin templates hopefully...

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:47 am

TC Aqualines in the front, GL's in the rear ( the placcy ones ). Only using it in local stuff, so 1 - 3' is about the size range, plus mine's a rail quad with a cluster layout I ripped off from bert berger and tweaked ever so slightly.

Goes great tight in the pocket, snaps nicely off the top, fast down the line. I don't have much to complain about really!

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:59 pm

Yeah a bit scarce on the board information sorry.

It's a Josh Dowling quad: 6'1 x 19 1/2 x 2 5/8 diamond tail, small bump in the rail near the front fins to bring the tail in a little, flatish tail rocker. I think a more raked fin would suit my style of surfing and would also suit this board. It is the board I surf the most.

I would go for the shapers fins but I have a surfstich voucher so it's FCS. Looks like the R-2 Quad set is the go.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
- Gerry Lopez

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:05 pm

To give you an idea of what fin combos I like in a board, I'm an inch shorter than you but the same weight. I have a board very similar in dimensions only with a blended planshape in the tail and a round-tail. In this board I found M5/M3 sized fins way too big and too stiff. They produced a ton of drive and security which was welcome when surfing big points on a 6'0", but they just didn't have much freedom in turning radius.

After a lot of experimenting I found KFin/G1000 to work the best. I was riding M3/G1000 most of the time, but found that I craved just a little bit more pivot through turns. Choosing a front fin very similar in size but with less rake (KFin or K2.1) did the trick, and its my preferred fin set-up.

A similar set-up would be Tom Carroll fins in front, and G1000 in the rears.

Those two options are what I would use, but thats me :)

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:24 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:To give you an idea of what fin combos I like in a board, I'm an inch shorter than you but the same weight. I have a board very similar in dimensions only with a blended planshape in the tail and a round-tail. In this board I found M5/M3 sized fins way too big and too stiff. They produced a ton of drive and security which was welcome when surfing big points on a 6'0", but they just didn't have much freedom in turning radius.

After a lot of experimenting I found KFin/G1000 to work the best. I was riding M3/G1000 most of the time, but found that I craved just a little bit more pivot through turns. Choosing a front fin very similar in size but with less rake (KFin or K2.1) did the trick, and its my preferred fin set-up.

A similar set-up would be Tom Carroll fins in front, and G1000 in the rears.

Those two options are what I would use, but thats me :)

Thanks mate. I might do some test driving of fins. It's good to see the K2.1 quad set is available now. The M5/M3 combo has felt like it is stiff some times, but that could also just be me.

Thanks again.
- Gerry Lopez

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Mate, I would recommend a smaller rear fin than the K2.1 quad set if you want it to turn better. As far as I know, that quad set has M3 rear fins which will still be a similar stiffness as your previous M5/M3 combo.

If you want it to turn better I would not only decrease the rake of the front fins, making the rear fins catch more of the turn (K2.1), but I would also decrease the size of the rear fins (G1000 or GX for example).

Go and play around, thats the best way to find out :)

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:02 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Mate, I would recommend a smaller rear fin than the K2.1 quad set if you want it to turn better. As far as I know, that quad set has M3 rear fins which will still be a similar stiffness as your previous M5/M3 combo.

If you want it to turn better I would not only decrease the rake of the front fins, making the rear fins catch more of the turn (K2.1), but I would also decrease the size of the rear fins (G1000 or GX for example).

Go and play around, thats the best way to find out :)

Yeah thanks. I'll go to the local surf shop and see what fins they can give me. I don't have anything smaller than an M3.

I was using Mckee's formula when choosing quad sets as he seems to be one of the guru's and has tested heaps of combos.

M5/M3 seems to be the best all round option but it only seems to perform well when the waves get some power and size behind them.

http://www.mckeesurf.com/brucemckee/multisystem.htm
- Gerry Lopez

JET01
charger

Post by JET01 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:20 pm

i'm 5'10 and 83kgs.... SF4 fronts with GX rears were the best for me.
I recently got my hands on the C-drive quad set... haven't had many surfs on the shortly lately because of injury and lack of swell, but i have medium c-drive fronts and rears that are around the same size as GX's... feels a bit stiff... i'm going to put the FCS GX's back in and see how that goes.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:18 pm

So, I'm reviving this thread from the dead...

I have a wide-nosed, pin-tail type board that came with FCS 'glassflex' construction quad fins (M5's & GX's). I really like the balance with those fins, the trade between drive and turn works well for me and my style of surfing.

Almost everyone....and I mean EVERYONE that I know has been telling me to ditch the glassflex fins and get some real composite type fins.

Considering that I'm not noticing too many issues with the current ones, will I see any improvement if I keep the same fin profile and upgrade to a set of 'Perfomance Core' composite fins?? (which FCS offer in the same M5/GX combo).

Do I not know what I'm missing? Will there be much noticable difference to warrant the outlay?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:01 am

damo666 wrote: Do I not know what I'm missing? Will there be much noticable difference to warrant the outlay?
Fibreglass fins are going to noticably produce a lot more drive because you don't lose as much pressure from the gooiness of the glassflex fins, but because they are stiffer than glassflex you will notice they will resist turning a little more. You might need to change to more upright front fins (e.g. K2.1) or reduce their size (PC3) if you go to fibreglass.

I wouldn't buy a pair straight out without trying a few first if you can.

A good compromise I like doing is using fibreglass fins in the front for your main drive producing fins, and then using glassflex in the rear fins to give a softer and more fogiving feel for turns. Finshop.com.au lets you order single fins (e.g. only the front fins).