FCS Quads - What are you using ?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, Forum Moderators

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Re: FCS Quads - What are you using ?

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:53 pm

I'll certainly let you know how they go haha.
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:04 pm

I've settled on some fins -

If the board has more carving charasteristics, like nice low rails and lots of hold (e.g. my Quadfather), I tend to like KFin/G1000 to free it up a little. I've tried this combo in some pretty solid waves and it still has plenty of hold.

If the board is quite loose and lively on its own (e.g. my Swinger), I tend to like M3/G1000 to give it some drive and direction for when I need it. Seeing as I can still release the tail with this combo I'm pretty happy with it.

I can't recommend more experimenting with all sorts of different fins in your quad to get the feeling that you're after. It took quite a bit of time for me to get through them all, but it was well worth it. Now that I understand how certain fins or fin changes effect the ride, fin choices are now less guess-work and more deliberate.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:09 pm

K2.1 quad setup. First quad board and it came with them so I haven't tried any others yet. I'm waiting for c drive to finalize their quad setup and I'll try thm next.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:07 am

gone down from a 5'11 to a 5'7" and the 5'7" has almost the same tail rocker ( just a tiny bit less ) so when I first rode it I tried same set up as my 5'11 which was M3 fronts and G1000 rears but even though it went ok , just didnt feel right, so I put a set of M2's in the rear ( dunno where the fins came from and havent seen any others- maybe new or old not sure but they are a tiny bit smaller than 3's but bigger than g1000s' ) and instantly it was heaps better, just more squirt thru turns and could push harder off the bottom and top....these M2s look a diff foil, maybe 60-40 or 70-30, but diff to other double foils I have ....they work great on this board, all 4 fins look same size but with smaller, wider board with this tail rocker it feels great, doubt other fins could feel better, but if they could, I wanna try em.... 8)

anyone trying any small c-drives in quads ( by small I mean, g1000 or smaller ) ???

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Post by Beerfan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am

Keels went pretty well, though i've got a few homemade fins to play with, so i made up some upright, narrow base fins for the rears. I find i need to use really small rears for some reason. I think i stand too far forward, and spent too much time on my old keel fish.

we are the angry mob

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:42 pm

Beerfan, love the rainbow fins!

....so you reckon smaller rears work better if you are more forward heavy and more forward on the board? I'm the same - forward footed probably from surfing some twins and a single fin.

You've given me an idea - anyone else tried big MR fronts and GS rears? I'm gonna buy another GS and give it a go when I go down the coast next week. Might be fun in smaller waves.

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Post by Beerfan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:27 am

so you reckon smaller rears work better if you are more forward heavy and more forward on the board?

Definately for me.

anyone else tried big MR fronts and GS rears?

Well not FCS mr's ,but fibreglass ahem copies of MR fins!!, and super small one tab fins. Too loose. MR's and gs might work well.

forward footed probably from surfing some twins and a single fin.

Im in the same boat, minus the single fins, and i much prefer full size fronts, and way smaller in the rears.

Let us know how it goes.
we are the angry mob

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:53 am

isnt it great how we all like diff stuff when it comes to fins...I prefer bigger at front, slightly smaller in the tail....but I like the more upright template to be at the front if the fins have diff template at all...prefer how the feel when same shape or very similar....I do know the feeling of surfing fish too much and then the transition when comin back to shorties ( or more standard shapes with less area forward ), it does take a while to readjust but after a few clumsy surfs it does happen, now that I swap a real lot from diff shape to diff shape, transition is almost nil....currently riding a swinger with all 4 fins almost exactly the same size, and working well ( M3 front and M2 rears -dble foiled )...
would love to have a get together where everyone brought all their fins and we can swap, sell , trial and trade etc.....Fintasy ??? .... :roll: Fin 2 sea :roll:

petelev4
Local

Post by petelev4 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:10 am

i've been really impressed with the k2.1 pc quad set. great lines and not too loose in the tail

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:53 am

Hey Guard
What rear futures are you using on your quad with the 438s - 375s or 400s?

Firekane
Location: Curly, Queensy/ Steyne, Longy, DY, South coast, North coast

Post by Firekane » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:43 pm

I've used the STRETCH signature series in FCS in my 5'6 diamond tail and the Vector 2 Q1 in Futures on my 5'10 quad short board (both by Psillakis and awsome), both sets of fins seem to go alright, they are both very similar in base rake size etc though.

I did try a more upright fin for more pivot on the rear of the 5'10 but didn't like it, I seemed to slow the board up a little, tighter off the top, but as you ride a quad for its drive I stick with the 375 rears.

One thing I was told to remember with quads is that 4 has to equal 3, I think that means the area has to be the same, so smaller rear fins are a must. Perhaps someone else with more knowledge could elaborate on this.

Cheers

Kane

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:07 pm

Firekane wrote:I've used the STRETCH signature series in FCS in my 5'6 diamond tail and the Vector 2 Q1 in Futures on my 5'10 quad short board (both by Psillakis and awsome), both sets of fins seem to go alright, they are both very similar in base rake size etc though.

I did try a more upright fin for more pivot on the rear of the 5'10 but didn't like it, I seemed to slow the board up a little, tighter off the top, but as you ride a quad for its drive I stick with the 375 rears.

One thing I was told to remember with quads is that 4 has to equal 3, I think that means the area has to be the same, so smaller rear fins are a must. Perhaps someone else with more knowledge could elaborate on this.

Cheers

Kane

I have a similar theory Kane.

The way I look at it, if you use the same size fins you usually use in a thruster you have just jumped 33% in fin area. Thats going to make quite a difference.

I prefer to scale down all fin sizes, and make the rears slightly smaller than the front fins (e.g. M3/G1000 or KFin/G1000). I've tried going big in front and very small in the back, and I found it a bit too schizophrenic. Maybe it would go better for me in fish-style quads, but not performance quads. I'm yet to find out with my newie :)

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:27 pm

petelev4 wrote:i've been really impressed with the k2.1 pc quad set. great lines and not too loose in the tail

what exactly is a K2.1 quad set? It it a combo of existing fins e.g. L + R K2.1 sides and 2 centers for the trailers? I reckon there is scope for a refined set based on scaled down trailers, like a 66% scaled down k2.1 side fin, or thinking more radically, a scaled down k3.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:32 pm

dUg wrote:
petelev4 wrote:i've been really impressed with the k2.1 pc quad set. great lines and not too loose in the tail

what exactly is a K2.1 quad set? It it a combo of existing fins e.g. L + R K2.1 sides and 2 centers for the trailers? I reckon there is scope for a refined set based on scaled down trailers, like a 66% scaled down k2.1 side fin, or thinking more radically, a scaled down k3.

If they made those fins I would buy them for sure, KFin/G1000 goes great for me but I can really imagine some great pivot coming out of that combination. Maybe similar to G1000 in depth and base, but with less rake/tip?

Firekane
Location: Curly, Queensy/ Steyne, Longy, DY, South coast, North coast

Post by Firekane » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:44 pm

That raises the question of what Kelly actually uses on his quads? I assume it is a version of the K2.1 but genetically modified for to be 4 fins, but can’t seem to find them any where.

On a side note: Future 375's have a slight cant in them so there is defiantly a left and right fin. But my FCS STRETCH rears are exactly the same, they don’t seemed to have a right and left, what up with that?. Could you (I have a five fin option set up) just moving one of the rears into the rear middle position when using the board as a thruster (and yes removing the other quad rear). I know this goes against regular theories but would it not just act like a small trailer fin keeping in mind it’s on a small wave board (5'6 x 19 1/8 x 2 1/4).

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Post by Beerfan » Mon May 03, 2010 11:44 am

Beerfan wrote:Keels went pretty well, though i've got a few homemade fins to play with, so i made up some upright, narrow base fins for the rears. I find i need to use really small rears for some reason. I think i stand too far forward, and spent too much time on my old keel fish.

Due to a back problem, shit swell, and getting the snip, i lent my bat to my mate. Bad idea, he won't give it back!! Anyway i got a few clean waves this morning and i finally got to try this setup. The best so far!!, vert was easy, although im not used to going vert, so getting vert was easy, but trying to come back down was a bit...painful hehe. Loose enough, but not crazy loose. If the rears were double foiled i think it'd be my perfect setup. Looks like i'll have to make a double foiled set next night shift hehe.
we are the angry mob

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Mon May 03, 2010 5:14 pm

Firekane wrote:On a side note: Future 375's have a slight cant in them so there is defiantly a left and right fin. But my FCS STRETCH rears are exactly the same, they don’t seemed to have a right and left, what up with that?. Could you (I have a five fin option set up) just moving one of the rears into the rear middle position when using the board as a thruster (and yes removing the other quad rear). I know this goes against regular theories but would it not just act like a small trailer fin keeping in mind it’s on a small wave board (5'6 x 19 1/8 x 2 1/4).

Dunno about your particular board and the 5 fin setup, but the according to FCS the stretches with the double foil rears ARE designed to be used in a thruster or quad. So give it a go.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue May 04, 2010 7:48 am

In my new snub-nose fish I've been having some success with Stretch SF4 quad set. The board is 5'7" x 20 3/4" x 2 3/4", with a bit of a pulled in tail for a wide fish, but still a very wide and straight outline. I tried M5 with the SF4 rears, and the rake on the M5 resisted turning a little too much for my liking, so the more upright SF4 fronts with the small SF4 rears did the trick.

I think that these fins cater for wider fish style designs that actually require a slightly larger front fin to control the tail. I tried this combo in my Quadfather and it felt way too stiff and hard to turn, but then again a lot of the design elements in my Quadfather are built for hold (e.g. pulled in tail, low rails, round-tail, fins set back a bit, McKee fin set-up, etc.).

P.S. I tried this set-up as well, but it was crap. It resisted turning too much and would only go in one direction - straight. Its interesting that as a twin-fin only, its a very loose and exciting board, but add a couple of very small SF4 rears and it surfs like its 10 foot long: