FCS Quads - What are you using ?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Wingnut
regular

Re: FCS Quads - What are you using ?

Post by Wingnut » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:15 pm

pridmore wrote:some people enjoy H2's on the front and 1000's on the back, maybe try M3's front and back, thats what I have been using in a 5'7 " Fat-Bat and they go a treat up to head high...which the board is predominantly designed for anyway...I am playing with some timber fins ATM and they are goin well so far, seem to be much lighter and the float seems to be a benefit in small waves thats for sure.... 8)
I've wanted to try some H2's and heard a few stories of them being excellent fins but breaking easily at the tabs?

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:22 pm

pridmore wrote:interesting stuff, I always prefer the leading fins to be the bigger of the set, I tried plenty of mixes of fins and not once did a smaller front fin feel better IMO.... Wasnt the first set M5 side foils and M3's double foiled ??? I still find this a good set for my Fat-Bats and wide tailed quads but too much area for my Quadfathers ( narrower tails...and too much fin area as well as diff placement )...The board you are riding seems to be going well and thats the main thing and if you are chucking buckets on the 8ft quad, than the fins must be doin their thing... I am chatting with Taylor Jensen and am doing him a quady soon, prob a 9fter for high performance stuff, should be good considering he won Noosa and just won the Aussie title....now I need a name for a 9fter ...??? 8)
Just to clarify I am in fact using M5's in the front/outside and GX's in the rear/inside, ie as you said, big fins in the front and small at the back...

The evolution was like this:

1) M5 single foiled front/outside + M5 (I'm pretty sure, don't think they were M3??) symmetrically foiled rear/inside = retarded
2) GX single foiled front/outside +M5 single foiled rear/inside = lightyears better than (1) but still some mild twitchyness which was at times unnerving.
3) M5 single foiled front/outside +GX single foiled rear/inside = super, best so far, very reassuring under foot and on rail.

silvafish
Grommet

Post by silvafish » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:36 pm

i like the name,,Mal Quatro...or..Than Enough..or my fav...fourskin..too esady mp

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:22 pm

Call them "Four on the floor" and if you use that I want a new board as a one off royalty.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:11 pm

"Quad Wrangle"
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Noice....hoping to include the 9 ft part if possible but not easy...like the Quadrangle...or Quadrangler maybe... ??? 8)

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:40 pm

If it was a 10 footer, you could call it '10, 4 big buddy'.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:58 pm

got a new set of timber Quanger Quads today, put em straight into the Abat but no waves today, tomorrow I will find something for sure....

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:16 pm

pridmore wrote:Noice....hoping to include the 9 ft part if possible but not easy...like the Quadrangle...or Quadrangler maybe... ??? 8)
Maybe............................................
TrevG wrote:"Quad Wran9le"
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:55 am

After quite a bit of reading over several forums, it seems as though a few fin combinations seem to be popular:

- M5/GX - Seems to be popular for a balance of drive and pivot. After trying M5/M1000 I might have to aggree, but I will give it a go in the next week hopefully. M5/M1000 had great drive, but the extra stiffness was a real problem for me, mainly on the backhand.

- M3/M1000 - Seems to be a great balance between drive and pivot for what I like in a board. If I can squeeze a little bit more drive out of it I'll be super happy.

- K2.1/M1000 - I'll be trying this out next surf. Hopefully it'll have the same drive as M5/M1000, but with added pivot. I'd also love to try K2.1/GX.

- SF-4 Stretch Quad Set - A lot of people seem to rate this as having a lot of drive and bite for waves under 4ft, more drive than your average fin set for smaller waves. A lot of the same people also preferred to switch to M5/GX for anything over 4ft, as the SF-4 supposedly feels pretty skatey when it gets bigger. I'll be hopefully giving this set a try in the next few weeks.

I'll spend some time testing out and report back what I find :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:33 pm

Tried about five or six combo's over the last few months and think I've had my best sessions with M7's in front and M3 sides in back . Tried 5's in front his morning in 2ft+ and seemed to work pretty good.

Does anyone else find they like side fins in the back instead of using a couple of centers ?

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 pm

^^Îve been wondering about this myself... anyone?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:36 pm

yp, trdie a few sets of side foiled rear fins and they go well, but just didnt feel like they flowed as well...maybe a touch more twitchy and sensitive IMO... the double foils seem to be more user friendly to me.....but they work and each to their own with fins.... 8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:02 pm

I tried M5/M3 single foiled in the back, and I didn't like the feel of it. I'm with you MP.

The extra drive from using single foils in the back was definitely noticable, and I like that feel, but I didn't like the feel of turning it as much. Maybe smaller single foiled fins in the back would have felt better (GX?).

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:06 pm

tried a set of single foils again today and no good for me...just didnt flow around thru turns like usual, seemed a bit slicey and less forgiving to me...took them straight out and back to my usual set.... :|

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:11 pm

good viewing and interesting but with freakishly talented surfers it means alot less IMHO....he could ride a 9 channell board with 11 fins and still rip....remeber how he beat Hoyo on some old relic pig of a fish in some comp years ago...? and thats when Hoyo was doin ok and in his prime.... 8)

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:01 pm

pridmore wrote:tried a set of single foils again today and no good for me...just didnt flow around thru turns like usual, seemed a bit slicey and less forgiving to me...took them straight out and back to my usual set.... :|
"Slicey" yep thats the exact sensation I feel , but really like that feeling on the open face doing cutbacks.The surf has been a bit fatter when I've used the single foils so not sure if it will feel as effective in the hollower faces.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:12 pm

I love this clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCOrdReuyR0

It shows how much range a 6'1" with K-fin composites all-round can have :)