FCS Quads - What are you using ?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: FCS Quads - What are you using ?

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:50 pm

They look very similar to the SF4 template. Other people seem to rave about them in more rail-centric fin set-ups with wider tails, like the Stretch F4.

I didn't like them very much in a round-tail McKee set-up with quite a pulled in tail though, I prefer less fin area in the front fins.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:34 pm

i dunno, i feel when i surf off my back foot they dont have enough squirt through full rail turns.
but when transitioning from rail to rail the fully raked hexagons come into theyre own and drive off the single to double vee. thats just my opinion
i just made that up :lol:
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:21 am

SF4 Fronts and GL rears. Put them in my dominator the other day... feels like a different board.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:44 am

After only a week with my new fat bat I tried something else - Had the feeling that the m5/m3 combo was a bit too much fin. So I have put in a set of these: http://shapers.com.au/prod303.htm

They reckon the front fins are not quite a size 7, but thinner and more raked, and the back fins are similar size to the gx, but again a bit thinner and raked. Feels more lively and really grippy on late takeoffs, and more speed off bottom turns and faster down the line. After 2 surfs I really really like 'em.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:46 am

Topher, glad you ave found fins that are workin well, I supply what is workin well for most and it isnt always eactly what some like and in todays swap and change world of fins, that is to be expected and if you ever wanted to discuss options I am always available to chat, just want the board to give you as much stoke as possible...I have worked with several customers months after to get fins right for them, usually with good results....hope the FB is giving you tons of joy now mate.... 8)

I find the big variation in fin sizes ( M7 and gx ) have too much looseness in the tail, almost a twinny feel and the Fat-Bats arent really trying to feel like a twinny, I like a solid drivier feel from the fins but still lively in the shape due to other elements of the board, the bigger variation in fins seems to make them surf more snappy and less flowing thry turns, almost hard to carve out out longer arcs IMO, but this is the beaty od boards in general, everyone likes something different and stoked to hear you are liking it, no matter what fins you settle on.... 8) 8) 8)

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:50 am

I find the big variation in fin sizes ( M7 and gx ) have too much looseness in the tail, almost a twinny feel

That's how i like my bat at the moment, though i surfed a keel fish for a few years. Much more loose than the keel fish though.
Wait til ya see what i have in the bat at the moment mark, you'll shake ya head hahaha. Try to post a pic later.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:12 am

No idea how it'll go, the rear of the keels is 10" from the tail, which is far up for keels. Tried this morning, but it was total puss, hope to try if we get this E swell midweek. Ok, not a quad, but i may use the tiny orange one tabbers if its too loose.

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:27 am

Guard
Have you tried the V2 437's in your quad?

I am also using the V2 438's and am pretty happy with them, but a mate suggested the trying the 437's.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:30 pm

saltman wrote:
Topher wrote:After only a week with my new fat bat I tried something else - Had the feeling that the m5/m3 combo was a bit too much fin. So I have put in a set of these: http://shapers.com.au/prod303.htm

They reckon the front fins are not quite a size 7, but thinner and more raked, and the back fins are similar size to the gx, but again a bit thinner and raked. Feels more lively and really grippy on late takeoffs, and more speed off bottom turns and faster down the line. After 2 surfs I really really like 'em.
Which ones ya using the quad E or Quad X
Quad X. Just had another great little surf on 'em.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:45 pm

Beery, you now i takes alot to make me shake my head, I love the diff stuff, keen to hear feedback,
whatever works for ya I say..... 8)

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:53 pm

I'll certainly let you know how they go haha.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:04 pm

I've settled on some fins -

If the board has more carving charasteristics, like nice low rails and lots of hold (e.g. my Quadfather), I tend to like KFin/G1000 to free it up a little. I've tried this combo in some pretty solid waves and it still has plenty of hold.

If the board is quite loose and lively on its own (e.g. my Swinger), I tend to like M3/G1000 to give it some drive and direction for when I need it. Seeing as I can still release the tail with this combo I'm pretty happy with it.

I can't recommend more experimenting with all sorts of different fins in your quad to get the feeling that you're after. It took quite a bit of time for me to get through them all, but it was well worth it. Now that I understand how certain fins or fin changes effect the ride, fin choices are now less guess-work and more deliberate.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:09 pm

K2.1 quad setup. First quad board and it came with them so I haven't tried any others yet. I'm waiting for c drive to finalize their quad setup and I'll try thm next.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:07 am

gone down from a 5'11 to a 5'7" and the 5'7" has almost the same tail rocker ( just a tiny bit less ) so when I first rode it I tried same set up as my 5'11 which was M3 fronts and G1000 rears but even though it went ok , just didnt feel right, so I put a set of M2's in the rear ( dunno where the fins came from and havent seen any others- maybe new or old not sure but they are a tiny bit smaller than 3's but bigger than g1000s' ) and instantly it was heaps better, just more squirt thru turns and could push harder off the bottom and top....these M2s look a diff foil, maybe 60-40 or 70-30, but diff to other double foils I have ....they work great on this board, all 4 fins look same size but with smaller, wider board with this tail rocker it feels great, doubt other fins could feel better, but if they could, I wanna try em.... 8)

anyone trying any small c-drives in quads ( by small I mean, g1000 or smaller ) ???

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am

Keels went pretty well, though i've got a few homemade fins to play with, so i made up some upright, narrow base fins for the rears. I find i need to use really small rears for some reason. I think i stand too far forward, and spent too much time on my old keel fish.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:42 pm

Beerfan, love the rainbow fins!

....so you reckon smaller rears work better if you are more forward heavy and more forward on the board? I'm the same - forward footed probably from surfing some twins and a single fin.

You've given me an idea - anyone else tried big MR fronts and GS rears? I'm gonna buy another GS and give it a go when I go down the coast next week. Might be fun in smaller waves.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:27 am

so you reckon smaller rears work better if you are more forward heavy and more forward on the board?

Definately for me.

anyone else tried big MR fronts and GS rears?

Well not FCS mr's ,but fibreglass ahem copies of MR fins!!, and super small one tab fins. Too loose. MR's and gs might work well.

forward footed probably from surfing some twins and a single fin.

Im in the same boat, minus the single fins, and i much prefer full size fronts, and way smaller in the rears.

Let us know how it goes.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:53 am

isnt it great how we all like diff stuff when it comes to fins...I prefer bigger at front, slightly smaller in the tail....but I like the more upright template to be at the front if the fins have diff template at all...prefer how the feel when same shape or very similar....I do know the feeling of surfing fish too much and then the transition when comin back to shorties ( or more standard shapes with less area forward ), it does take a while to readjust but after a few clumsy surfs it does happen, now that I swap a real lot from diff shape to diff shape, transition is almost nil....currently riding a swinger with all 4 fins almost exactly the same size, and working well ( M3 front and M2 rears -dble foiled )...
would love to have a get together where everyone brought all their fins and we can swap, sell , trial and trade etc.....Fintasy ??? .... :roll: Fin 2 sea :roll: