Firewire

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

johno_52

Firewire

Post by johno_52 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:53 pm

Hey,

I'm interested in getting a new firewire board.
If you own one could you tell me what its like and do you think its worth getting one.
I like doing quick and long turns and i'm trying some airs as well, I've seen Taj Burrow do some unreal stuff on his firewire boards and do you guys reckon this would be a good board for this type of stuff and if not any suggestions???
Johno

bohdidontsurf
Local

Re: Firewire

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:09 pm

Give it a go for sure, I have a couple and love them. Nice and springy underfoot and fast. Plus super durable. I havent ridden the carbon rods type yet, but the balsa railed boards are the shit. Takes a bit of time to get used to them but they work for me.

johno_52

Post by johno_52 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:18 pm

yeh sure what model do think would be for me??? The Taj????
Johno

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:27 pm

johno_52 wrote:yeh sure what model do think would be for me??? The Taj????
I had one, hated it. Way too much rocker for Sydney beach breaks and very little flex with the paddlepop stick in the middle. I couldnt get it to work for me. Dont be sucked in by the "Taj" model, go the regular Flexfire I say.

johno_52

Post by johno_52 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:50 pm

sweet, cheers mate appreciate it! :D
Johno

lamesville
Grommet

Post by lamesville » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:18 pm

anyone keen on buying a direct drive?
6'1" x 18 1/2" x 2 3/16" Futures fins

Thing goes bullshit but just need to get rid of it to pay for necessities. ie. Bali.
$600 including freight and we're golden.

surfnomada

Post by surfnomada » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:44 am

anyone seen the new Firewire ?its called the Dominator...looks kind of rare...

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:04 am

I've had one (Flexfire) for a couple of months now & am liking it a lot. There's another thread on here somewhere that's worth reading & bohdidontsurf went into a fair bit of detail on why he likes 'em. They do take a bit of getting used to, but I've found in the small stuff especially (haven't been able to give it a run in anything substantial yet) mine goes great. Gets around sections nicely & super responsive.

RichQ
regular

Post by RichQ » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:11 pm

News Flash!!! Taj dont ride em anymore....just got some new P.U. boards for the Goldy....not firewire, not carbon, not compsand, not parabolic, not epoxy......just good old POLYFROCKINURETHANE.

Phew! now we can all go back to making surfboards. :roll: :D

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:00 pm

I wanted to stock a non PU board to cater for that market and tried them all out. I settled on the RESIN8 range. Superior RandD, quality and the vacuum process they are using is streets ahead of the other epoxy family boards. Shaped by Sam Egan as well - hard to go wrong there.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:57 pm

So you got a ride report on these things.
Found it impossible to get a price off your website so what do these puppies retail for?
By the way, very belated thanks for sending the wax.
I will post a review.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:06 pm

the wax is great..bit of rash but plenty of grip....its the shitttte.... :) I often wonder why the other pros arent riding Firewires or similar ??? if they are so much better or even a tiny bit of an advantage, surely the pros would want to be on them ??? even though they are sponsored by other board labels, surely some or even just a few would be riding them for this performance benefit ??? Not knocking the boards, just wondering ??? Johno, by getting the Firewire, do you hope to surf more like Taj ? have a look how Taj surfed before he rode them, when he rode PU's from Webber and co...he surfed just the same mate, dont be fooled by marketing hype, sure try the boards and if you like them, get one, but just buy for the right reasons, again not being negative anout firewire or any boards, just lots of marketing hype and not even Taj is on em now so gotta wonder why ???? JMO 8)

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:10 pm

steve shearer wrote:So you got a ride report on these things.
Found it impossible to get a price off your website so what do these puppies retail for?
By the way, very belated thanks for sending the wax.
I will post a review.
No probs Steve, we wanted to make sure the boards were perfect before we went loud with the launch...I think we're there. We are the sole provider for the boards in Australia so we are really excited about it. Mick Fanning had a lot to say about the boards last season and we have video coming out on it soon. Everything you sees online at www.resin8usa.com is available including all Sam Egan and Wade Tokoro Models at $900 AUSD delivered.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:16 pm

I'd say Taj's contract with Firewire has expired and it hasn't been renewed because FW would be looking to cut costs. Taj will be looking for a new board deal and that's almost certainly going to come from a PU/PE maker. If you get your boards for free - it doesn't matter if they only last a couple of months. What you get with a FW type construction is something that surfs as good as a team weight PU/PE but doesn't fall apart in three months. That sort of deal makes more sense to your average guy than your average pro.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:40 pm

I was under the impression that Burrow had bought into the company. I guess that isn't the case hey?
Does anyone know what boards he is riding now? Do you reckon Webber will take him back?

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:12 pm

Does anybody have Taj's mail?

Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:50 pm

Hey Longinus what dimensions do the swallow tail Resin8 short boards come in?

Ignore the above question - I totally missed the links.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:16 pm

No probs at all, Same Egan does all the Swallow tails - 5'11" to 6'5"

Sam and Wade Tokoro do the Squash, rounded pinnies and pro models. There's mini gun from each shaper and a fish from Sam to round off the range. All the stats, specs, reviews and videos are on the US parent site www.resin8usa.com. We have all of them available from Sydney for delivery anywhere in Australia or Indonesia.

Let me know if I can help. We can do any board in the range for $900 on the east coast which includes delivery.

I always put some money back to realsurf for any sales we make...gotta keep that GSI 7S Super Fish ad runnin somehow :wink: