Josh Dowling Designs

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

DV8
regular

Re: Josh Dowling Comsand

Post by DV8 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:46 pm

dolfn wrote:Hi guys,

Not much action on this post lately!! Wondering how the new Josh Dowling shapes have been travelling in the more consistant waves we seem to have been getting over the past few?

Still awaiting my JDS but must admit even though there has been a bit more size and punch to the waves of late, my 5'10" FW Quadraflex is still my weapon of choice over the 6'0"(although it measures more like 5'11") Sunova Nitro.
Bloody good Dolfn ....................no complaints :D . Actually went back to P/U the other day for a comparison and got to say it felt lacking compared to the JD in the 4/5ft that was on offer ! :?
Also my noggin and board met at velocity the other morning and I immediately thought massive depression/shatter and off for repairs ........ but only damage done was to my head :shock: !

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Mon May 11, 2009 4:44 pm

LOL!

Soft noggin!

Ha...

Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Thu May 14, 2009 8:42 pm

Dolf practically begged me for a sneak-preview...

I guess he was like me as a kid:- never one to get a surprise at Christmas because he knew every stash-spot in Mum's wardrobe!

Here ya go mate...I'm sure it won't take the shine off it when you get the big box on the doorstep!

Hope you've been good, because its waaaay too early for Christmas!

Josh
http://www.joshdowlingshape.com

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Boing! Protective camouflage to say the least, woohoo!

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri May 15, 2009 10:13 am

go'damn nice Josh ... you a clever man ... who's idea was the spray , Josh or Dolf's ... :?:

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Fri May 15, 2009 12:37 pm

After all this time the thread has been active I just realised I missed a "P" in the subject title ..........sorry !! :roll:

dolfn
Grommet

Post by dolfn » Fri May 15, 2009 1:00 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:go'damn nice Josh ... you a clever man ... who's idea was the spray , Josh or Dolf's ... :?:
Hey Surfin Turf,

I can answer this one. Totally Josh's Idea cand design. About a year ago I ordered a Custom Nitro from Sunova. At the time, when I was in Discussion with Greg from Sunova via email, I mentioned that I wanted a unique spray on the board. Greg sent me a whole load of designs, all of which I believe were Joshs'. I picked the Eye and had it place on the bottom of my Nitro along with the Sunova Logo. In the process at Sunova, unfortunately the art was put on as a print, I think, but not sprayed. As a reult, the art on the bottom of my nitro was sumwhat blurry and also had a number of streak marks where the color in the print ran.

When I contacted Josh about shaping me a new Stix, I was pretty keen to have a JD original piece of art on my board. I said it was up to him. He suggested that he would like to redo the eye, which I was keen to have, especially as it is a proper spray design and not a print.

Thanks for the peak Josh it looks fantastic.
Attachments
board.jpg
My idea with SUnova using JOsh's design

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri May 15, 2009 1:52 pm

^^^^

yeah ... apart from being great , I particulary like that it's a spray , not that those new printed transfers aren't a great idea etc ... but I just like that it's a spray ... new boards are like artwork to me and with a spray like yours .. well :D :idea:
on rail cut backs are gonna look great ... :!:

I presently have a new board in the corner of my lounge room curing a bit and it's funny how my missus always wants the house perfect but doesn't mind new boards on show in the lounge room, and always says she misses them when they move to the board rack in the garage ... :lol: she is also the reason I always get a spray and a bit of colour ...

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Fri May 15, 2009 5:30 pm

Hey Dolf...

Here is the actual pic of the board with the original airbrush which I used to generate that print.

That one is from 2003, prior to my work with composites, and my man Gus still has that board. I've had a thing about eyeballs since day-dot, and that one is a classic...If anyone ever spots a JD original shape or spray in second-hand rack, I'd love to know about it.

For a number of reasons I returned to hand-sprays, nontheleast because its a pleasure to have crew say "Go ahead, do whatever you like" on their new board.

Josh
http://www.joshdowlingshape.com

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri May 15, 2009 6:22 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Sat May 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Toby wrote:IIRC there was some discussion on some web forum about the effectiveness of an eye on the bottom of your board as a deterrent to the man in the grey suit. Got any angry sperm whale/GW/orca type eyes up your sleeve Josh? That'd be maybe the spray I'd be interested in.
I saw a board in a shop at newport (US) near huntington that was a black and white big angry open mouth with massive sharp teeth covering the entire bottom of the board ... I'd reckon that'd have to have an detering effect on something out there ... :idea:

dolfn
Grommet

Post by dolfn » Fri May 22, 2009 12:55 pm

Its here Wooohooo,

6'2" Step up ready for winter swells. Long walls, solid Pt breaks and Reefs (maybe tropical).

It is a work of art as you can see.

Slightly thicker in the rail than my other two Compsands. Definmitely mor rocker and about 800gs lighter than my Sunova.

Now all I need is for these awful ENE gales to abate so I can get it into some quality waves.

dolfn
Grommet

Post by dolfn » Mon May 25, 2009 4:04 pm

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

I took the new stix out for a spin in 2-4ft slowish mush at North Cronulla today.

Found it a little difficult at first to find the paddle sweet spot, most of my older boards have more volume and width in the tail.

First wave a got onto, I was late, so had to bury the rail in early. Man this thing has speed it just took off, never experienced anything like it.

So first impression is this board flys, especially when on the rail. Got a few turns in but the surf was crap. Not as loose as my Quadraflex, by feels more solid, controlled and smooth in arcing turns.

Im sure this board has so much more to offer. I have to remember I got this board made for good waves, not mush.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:23 pm

Oi Dolf,

Have you had any quality waves on the Sharp-shooter yet?

Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

dolfn
Grommet

Post by dolfn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:30 am

Hey,

Work has been keeping me outta the water for the past few. SUrf has been pretty average for most up here to. That being said, I look out this morning and see pretty clean 5-6ft line pumping in on the southern breaks in Sudney this morning, unfortunately I am on call an can't ventre out. Off on a Camping trip up the Mid North Coast in 4 weeks so should get a few days up there. Will get back to ya.

Cheers

dolfn
Grommet

Post by dolfn » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:01 pm

Took it out on Thursday at "The Wall".

Surf was 4 to 6 closing out in sections, but pretty clean.

This board is very easy to set in the pocket. I find the speed really easy to control and the solid nature of the board on the rail makes it a joy to ride down the line. That being said, when I let it go to get around breaking sections, it flew and the more rounded pin shape made it easy to turn from rail to rail. So light so solid, but so maneuverable sure this isn't an alrounder Josh?

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:35 pm

Hey Dolf...

Thats great! Solid is good, but not TOO solid...At 6'2 its only a few inches longer than your shorty, so not exactly a Rhino-chaser. (My personal equivalent would be around 6'10)

The tail at only 13 1/4" is a full inch or more narrower than an all-rounder, and this will give it that confident-feeling, no spinning out when its starting to get gnarly.

Good one man...

Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:21 pm

Two from two so far have been on the money :D so I'm trying for a 3rd . Getting my quiver of JD's complete before I have an addition to the family and the purse strings are tied up with a lock and chain :cry: . Hoping these will see me through a good few years till the wifey gets back earning her keep and my board fetish can be re-ignited .
Rode my 6'10 PU the other day and felt quite out of sorts since I've been surfing the wider Epoxies exclusively. So getting one more to fill the gaps .
This is going to be a 6'10 stepup 19/1/4 x2/1/2 that should cover me for 6ft+ range .
bazooka_one.jpg
IN THE MAKING
bazooka_two.jpg
sweet