Josh Dowling Designs

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: Josh Dowling Designs

Post by Beerfan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:27 pm

alakaboo wrote:It is hard to get wood to do big concaves but the rohacell (?) high density foam stuff josh uses would be fine I think. Though Huie said something about not liking really thin cores in compsand construction when I wanted to go to 2" on an eps core.

Yeah but the point is to keep that high density foam on the thin side to keep weight down. If you go really deep concaves, that high density foam can become too thin in spots. My thoughts anyway.

As I mentioned, I'm sure there's a way around it, and I'm sure Josh could do it. He doesn't shy away from a challenge. I mean, he makes boards for kooks like me, which is a big challenge haha

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:33 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:36 pm

Hey, it was just my thoughts. I'm certainly no expert, which is why I buy boards!.

My little sweet potato type JD has deep concaves too.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:54 pm

I'm not surprised that Malcolm Campbell was helpful. All I've read about him says he's really keen for others to shape bonzers too. My thoughts are, if I really like my bonzer, I'd get one made in JD tech in the future so it lasts ages. I've never had a JD, but the FireWire dominator I had once (with the valve) lasted ages and had stuff all compressions after heaps of use. I personally didn't use it that much, but I sold it to mate that used it heaps and also for kitesurfing.

Now that I'm a more consistent surfer I've noticed that I'm starting to get more heels compressions on the decks of my board. Especially on my daily driver.

I'm not exactly a green freak but I think we all have a responsibility to at least try to be a bit greener.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:13 pm

If you don't like your bonzer, let me know ;)

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:42 am

Beerfan wrote:I'd love a JD bonzer as well. I think the depth of the concaves might be an issue, as it would thin out the layer of high density foam on the bottom. I'm sure Josh would find a way around it though.

Shameless pic of my new JD :)
Got some decent waves with some push this morning. It's definitely my good wave board!. Likes to be surfed and paddled from up front. Need to build some fitness ( paddle fitness is atrocious at the moment ), but I'm looking forward to more good waves on this board.

When you get in the sweet spot, it paddles quite well, getting into waves is easy, and take offs are pretty easy as well. During a cutback I noticed my feet were quite forward. Love it!

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:17 am

I reckon your board would have really loved the left I just surfed up at Wanda beery, nice long walls.
Just had a few nice waves on the single midlength. It's an absolute crowd killer.

https://instagram.com/p/u7YgxtskVA/

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:12 pm

I'd love a similar board, looks sweet as mate. Trim king?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:01 pm

Beerfan wrote:I'd love a similar board, looks sweet as mate. Trim king?
Yeah loves to trim. And loves a cheater 5.

Caught a screaming right hander from the southern to the northern side of the flags at Wanda this morning. It was mostly breaking on the left. I was sitting way out wide waiting for the bombs that wouldn't close out, leaving the rest for the 2000 weekend warrior short boarders. Out of nowhere I caught a glimpse of a bomb on the horizon coming wide on the next bank south. Made a split decision to just go for it and paddle across the rip. Made it, much to everyone's disgust as I'd been pretty lucky with my positioning all session.
Nice early entry, short bottom turn, picked my line and just enjoyed the ride of one of the nicest waves I've had at Wanda for a while.
It always feels better when there's 30 odd people watching.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:52 pm

Great, another board I really want !

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:46 pm

I ordered some 5" x 5" twin fins from shapers. I was going to put them in my sweet potatoish 5'4" ( which I will definitely try ) but they look so good I put them in the 7'4" with longboard sides as rear fins. I've got a touch more base than my normal quad set, but most of it is in the front fins, so it should be a bit more lively and fun in smaller waves.

I've gone from stiff plastic fins to all fibreglass too, so should get more drive out of them.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:40 pm

speedneedle wrote:Quality pics of Beerfan's Sputnik courtesy bro-by-another-ho Tim Henshall...

5'4 x 21 1/2 - fins are just the random-happen-to-be laying-about type...
sputnik1_s.jpg
sputnik2_s.jpg
sputnik3_s.jpg
sputnik4_s.jpg
sputnik5_s.jpg
sputnik6_s.jpg
JD

Gave the knee a trial run on this the other day in clean 1' waves. Such a fkukking great little board. So much fun. Havent tried the twin fins yet, maybe tomorrow

Thought I'd have to sell it but the knee is going well so its staying!

spelled3

Post by spelled3 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:10 pm

JET01 wrote:
Beerfan wrote:I'd love a similar board, looks sweet as mate. Trim king?
Yeah loves to trim. And loves a cheater 5.

Caught a screaming right hander from the southern to the northern side of the flags at Wanda this morning. It was mostly breaking on the left. I was sitting way out wide waiting for the bombs that wouldn't close out, leaving the rest for the 2000 weekend warrior short boarders. Out of nowhere I caught a glimpse of a bomb on the horizon coming wide on the next bank south. Made a split decision to just go for it and paddle across the rip. Made it, much to everyone's disgust as I'd been pretty lucky with my positioning all session.
Nice early entry, short bottom turn, picked my line and just enjoyed the ride of one of the nicest waves I've had at Wanda for a while.
It always feels better when there's 30 odd people watching.
I love this post.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Beerfan wrote:If you don't like your bonzer, let me know ;)
I've got my bonzer for sale mate. It's on the gumtree.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:07 am

JET01 wrote:
What kind is it? Egg? Long, short? Not really in the market but love to look. Haven't got wet since New Year's Day :0. Had a look this morning, dead flat lol

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:30 pm

JET01 wrote:
Minimerk X 6'2"??. In what way is it too big? Too long? Too chunky?

And more importantly what's replacing it?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Beerfan wrote:
JET01 wrote:
Minimerk X 6'2"??. In what way is it too big? Too long? Too chunky?

And more importantly what's replacing it?
Sorry I took a while to get back to you. We had a daughter on Thursday morning. I'm sending this from the hospital!

Yeah mini merk 6'2 x 20 x 2 5/8

Replacing it with a 6'0 x 19.6 x 2.5 PCC IQ.
I just never got used to it. It I s a bit chunky for me, think I would've been better off with a 6'0. They recommend getting your standard dimensions on your first bonzer. I didn't listen. Would suit 85kg + depending on skill and fitness. Really been enjoying my normal thrusters lately and surfing my single fin egg and 7'7 midlength a lot too.
Need to save for a longboard after leaving my epoxy cheapo on the roof when it was 38 outside.
Last edited by JET01 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 25, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.