Josh Dowling Designs

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: Josh Dowling Designs

Post by Beerfan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:23 pm

In fairness, I don't really surf big or heavy waves, so I can get away with slippy slide out of control. My first keel fish had thin fibreglass glass on sides, and a small centre fin box. The only time I used a centre fin was a small keel, maybe 2" x 1", and only when I surfed that board at a river mouth type break, which is always hollow and fast breaking. Front side it kind of robbed it of some looseness, though it provided "feedback" and a bit of precision. On the backhand in hollow waves, it really helped with "accuracy" if that makes sense?.

And for quads, as a twin fin fan, I like em close together on the rail, big in front, small in the back, single foiled both. Probably part of the reason I enjoyed the sweet potato. Basically a split keel fin, on the rail.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:38 pm

I acquired a wide tailed, what I would call more traditional planshaped, Tolhurst quad fish as a bit of a domestic traveller to comply if you will with Jetstar.

Quite a rail-based fin set-up with the board… came issued with MR fronts, M3 (centres) on the rear. No provision for a centre fin and being a Tuflite, not something easy to change.

Nice enough board but found it a bit skitterish in some circumstances so have replaced the rears with FCS Nexus - Large, which whilst being quite sizable are quite an upright fin. Problem resolved, seemingly without any compromise to maneuverability.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:36 am

On another note, must say not only is the quality of JD's workmanship as good as they appear in the photos, the packaging for transport is first class.

Let me loose with a box cutter… :shock:

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:39 am

No thoughts of a late season jaunt to really test her out Ric. "Svelte" eh - and she looks just that!!! :-)(
And practical 3-)

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:54 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Jorgo wrote:No thoughts of a late season jaunt to really test her out Ric. "Svelte" eh - and she looks just that!!! :-)(
And practical 3-)
Of course, J-Lo, did you sense me passing on Monday as I headed back down to Sydney? I really don't know where I reside these days.

'Jaunt' I hear you say… of course, back to where this phase of my life commenced a year ago this October. On a silver bird Monday. :-D-:

Might have to darken your doorstep next drive up to the Sunshine Coast.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:40 pm

Legion wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:On another note, must say not only is the quality of JD's workmanship as good as they appear in the photos, the packaging for transport is first class.

Let me loose with a box cutter… :shock:
Ric, ric! Careful! On one of mine I got too impatient and in my haste scored right through the outer skin in one spot. Scissors are much safer. Or an electric rotary cutter like my Bosch Xeo.
L-mate… safe hands and unscathed, plenty of knife experience and a few scars to prove it. :-D-:

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:30 pm

A certain ex-colleague of mine used to claim - "I always just wrapped them in a piece of bubble-wrap, that way the freight people could see they are fragile."

I never went with that call. Really, no really, I can't figure out why I don't trust it!

Anyway fins...If these suckers were easy to make, it'd be a day-job, but with the million plastic pop-outs available, these are the hen's teeth...
lovelies.jpg
JD

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:23 am

Composites?
Look good, strong bases too

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:49 am

Composites, yes...it's a fancy way to say a combination of different materials to gain the benefits of each. Wood alone does'nt cope as a tab material, so there's solid glass inserted there.

Danny's Burning Spear - 6'9 x 20 3/4 -
burning_spear_shape_five_s.jpg
burning_spear_shape_four_s.jpg
burning_spear_shape_three_s.jpg
burning_spear_shape_two_s.jpg
JD

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:41 am

Nice josh. Which is more of a pain, glass ons, or tabbed fins??. I made a few fibreglass fins. Funking annoying messy pain in the arse IMHO, but I never had the balls to try glassing fins on. Just seemed like a massive pain in the arse compared to boxes/ plugs

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:25 pm

Beerfan wrote:Nice josh. Which is more of a pain, glass ons, or tabbed fins??. I made a few fibreglass fins. Funking annoying messy pain in the arse IMHO, but I never had the balls to try glassing fins on. Just seemed like a massive pain in the arse compared to boxes/ plugs
Beery - glass-ons were all there was once. We had a choice of big or small fins. If you did'nt like it, you could grind them off and do it again yourself.

Fins for glass-on are far easier to make - no need for tabs - especially for the likes of those there wooden ones - no need for a tab material insert.

Plugs and glass-on are just about the same installation wise, but plugs are way easier to sand.

Like - there you are sanding the nice bottom of a board when you come across these dirty great lump things you have to sand around.

Record I know of by a sander for most glass-on boards sanded in a day - 6.

Boards sanded with fin systems - 17. (The guy nearly died, but hey...)

Meanwhile, The Mexican, for fellow Vicco Josh - 6'4 x 19 1/2 x 2 1/2.
mexican_shape_five_s.jpg
mexican_shape_four_s.jpg
mexican_shape_one_s.jpg
mexican_shape_six._s.jpg
mexican_shape_three_s.jpg
JD

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:52 pm

It's been scientifically proven that pinstripes make a board go 56% faster! The Locomotive, for Bill in Manyana - 9'x 22...
locomotive_bottom_s.jpg
locomotive_four_s.jpg
locomotive_eleven_s.jpg
locomotive_seven_s.jpg
JD

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:28 pm

Nice longboard josh. I can't get my head around a longboard without a "proper" centre fin. I figure it's such a big board I just stick to one fin. Personal preference I know but a smaller centre fin and side bites still feels stiff compared to a single centre fin. They' obviously work as I see a few getting around.

Been using huies 7 1/2" greenough flex in my 9'1" round pin. I thought it'd slip out but it never does. Flies but turns very well.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Sydneysiders - I'll be helping give the Realsurf fundraiser a push -
bar_five.jpg
[attachment=0]bar_five.jpg[/attachment

Come and meet me, check out some boards.

JD

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:20 pm

fongss wrote:Nice :B
Your approval means everything to me fong, really.

I did say to Don that he would'nt have had to go through any of this fundraising bizzo if he'd just charged a dollar for every smiley used.

Owen's Leviathan - 7'9 x 21 x 2 3/4 -
leviathan_bottom_s.jpg
leviathan_four_s.jpg
JD :-o
Attachments
leviathan_seven_s.jpg
leviathan_five_s.jpg

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:48 pm

speedneedle wrote:Owen's Leviathan - 7'9 x 21 x 2 3/4
I like.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:07 pm

I've just been informed by Don that a serious personal drama has taken place for him, and consequently the Realsurf Fundraiser Party in DeeWhy will be postponed.

Until further notice.

JD