Josh Dowling Designs

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: Josh Dowling Designs

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:33 am

Nah, josh is kidding, that's where he pours in the magic potion that makes em go unreal :D

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:42 am

cool, thanks for the explanation. I
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:32 am

speedneedle wrote:you can't stretch a window pane right?
Not entirely true, JD, just about everything changes...

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/linea ... -d_95.html

now who's a mofo? :D

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:39 pm

Very good Ric,

I'm not going to click on that link as I'm on a super-slow computer, the son has got mine of course, little bastard.

But yeah, I've been told by an engineer, seriously, that glass is actually a liquid. Extremely slow flowing of course, butyeah, a liquid, and that all the old modern type buildings in town have problems with it because eventually the glass pane becomes thinner at the top and thicker at the bottom as it 'flows' down over 3 or 4 decades.

Ripley's believe it or not. :D
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:21 am

ric_vidal wrote:now who's a mofo?
Oooh hoighty-toighty! I'll pull my head in now. Funny though, I had heard the liquid window pane story somewhere before.

Ok I confess...the vent thingy is in fact for the nefarious purposes suggested by Bohdi...

JD

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:42 am

Believe it not, olds.
Amorphous solid or supercooled liquid, there is still some debate, but the windows sagging thing is bunkum. Due to manufacturing methods or acid rain, and over centuries not decades.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:50 am

alakaboo wrote:Believe it not, olds.
Amorphous solid or supercooled liquid, there is still some debate, but the windows sagging thing is bunkum. Due to manufacturing methods or acid rain, and over centuries not decades.
I'm not totally convinced about acid rain damaging glass. Concentrated acids come (mostly) in glass containers. The strong bases come in plastic containers. I'm not suggesting base rain, but if acids are the culprit, it's probably due to low levels of silicate in the glass, ie cheap shit

Back to the vent. Is it required for expanded polystyrene blanks but not for extruded polystyrene blanks? And how come some Firewires have vents and some don't? Sorry to drag you from your important work Josh
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:42 am

swvic wrote: Back to the vent. Is it required for expanded polystyrene blanks but not for extruded polystyrene blanks? And how come some Firewires have vents and some don't? Sorry to drag you from your important work Josh
The Firewire Rapifire construction is only a top skin, not all sealed up like JD's. Think they MAY have dropped some from the others too but not sure, believe they maintain it takes so much heat it is not likely.

EPS is beads, except Surftech's new formula which is 'fused', XPS (extruded) is closed cell like polyurethane so there is no advantage in venting as there is nowhere for the expanded air (gas) to travel.

Some XPS is very susceptible to heat deformation, believe me, I have done it (f*cked em).

Speaking of Surftech and considering they don't vent, I have seen one very bad case of de-lamination but started initially by an ding and ingress of water. Once the klegecell/glass was deformed that was it, there was no going back.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:57 pm

Cheers, ric
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:53 pm

Yep, XPS...don't get me started. It looked like the ultimate...but was tragic. I made a handful in the 90's out of blue Dow.

They were super light and set me on that path, but there was a terminal flaw. In order to get it through an extrusion form, the foam includes polyethylene...non-stick plastic like those white breadboards. The shapes blew plate-sized delams and died.

Andrew's Jackpot - 6'8 x 19 x 2 5/8...
jackpot_nineteen_s.jpg
jackpot_three_s.jpg
jackpot_fifteen_s.jpg
jackpot_eighteen_s.jpg
jackpot_eight_s.jpg
JD

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:33 am

A beauty josh!. Is it a step up, or just a bigger shortboard?? The last few overhead surfs have confirmed to me i need something a bit more like a shortboard for bit overhead and hollow, especially this time of year. I love the look of the prize fighter and the Colt 45!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:41 am

JD, the 'Jackpot', I'm speechless...

mofo :D

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:54 am

Wow! That is awesome Josh.

Your work is incredible mate, so much attention to detail.

Great looking shapes + superior craftmanship and materials + mind bogglingly good artwork. Not much more to say really.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:18 pm

Josh ever done any entirely stringer less and with intent on bringing more flex to the rear end?? Seeing plenty of EPS stringerless boards around at the moment.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Dunno bout you bodhi, but his perimeter stringers are sexy, and surf faarking great too!. If you do wide enough laps, you can go without a stringer on any foam I think, depending on foam density, pu, or eps. I may be.mistaken though, its saturday, and im stuffed after a 2hr plus surf, a day with 3 kids, and a few home brewed beers :D

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:01 pm

Beerfan wrote:Dunno bout you bodhi, but his perimeter stringers are sexy, and surf faarking great too!. If you do wide enough laps, you can go without a stringer on any foam I think, depending on foam density, pu, or eps. I may be.mistaken though, its saturday, and im stuffed after a 2hr plus surf, a day with 3 kids, and a few home brewed beers :D
hey don't blame your ramblings on the kids or your time in the surf .. might just be the home brew talking I think !! Re Josh's boards .. just thinking about more flex .. seems to already been considered when josh built his brothers board with the reduced timber in the tail .. I will wait for his holiness to speak ..

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:08 pm

bohdidontsurf wrote:I will wait for his holiness to speak ..
I've taken this long to find my funny hat...

Ahh yes, flex. It's when the variables in a surfboard go from merely complicated to mind-boggling.

If it was about flex alone, we could ride rubber mats. The result though is easy to visualise. Sponge comes to mind. There's a difference between flop and flex.

When a board is pushed through turns, it bends. More flex will be advantageous in small waves where the curves are tighter. Pressure applied to a rail will increase the rocker and give you a tighter turn. In a gun such flex is not so desirable.

"Springback" or twang is when you unweigh from the turn and the rocker returns to original form - this gives a lively forward-drivey feeling. The quicker this happens, the more you get back from your energy input.

EPS alone has better springback than PU. Carbon is good too, but it has flex limits - it's brittle, so there's a point where it snaps.

PU without a stringer? Pfffft.

Wood with it's fibres - like a tree bending in the wind, has very good springback. I've played with different wood, thicknesses of wood and tapering the wood off so there's less at the tail. A favourite small wave weapon had the wood almost all gone as it reached the tips of a swallow.

So I vary the rail wood and the amount of wood in some of the bottom according to the guy, and the size surf the board is for. Bigger guys or guns get more wood.

Like this - one more strip of timber in the rail than a small wave board. The Afficionado - 7'4
aficionado_twenty_two_s.jpg
aficionado_seven_s.jpg
aficionado_fifteen_s.jpg
aficionado_eleven_s.jpg
aficionado_eighteen_s.jpg
JD
Attachments
aficionado_ten_s.jpg

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:46 pm

speedneedle wrote:
bohdidontsurf wrote:I will wait for his holiness to speak ..
I've played with different wood, thicknesses of wood and tapering the wood off so there's less at the tail. JD
If that is not one step before "cuming" out of the closet than I dont know what is.

Seriously though...thats the good oil on flex....not flop (gee that sounds gay too).