Josh Dowling Designs

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

DV8
regular

Josh Dowling Designs

Post by DV8 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:42 pm

Don't want this to come off like a salesman pitch as I don't know Josh from a bar of soap but ...........
Given the interest of late on these forums and the experiences Ive had in regards to Compsand/firewire/sunova/durable boards etc, just thought I'd show you my new Josh Dowling shape picked up last week.

I've been through the frustations of trying to get a compsand board that is close to my favourite P/U shape with a quality rocker and rails that arent too thin . After lots of back and forthing via email and images of rockers/rails etc , Josh has come up with something I'm pretty stoked with .
Custom spray ( left it up to Josh's imagination) and shaping took around the 4 week mark from start to finish .
This ones a 6"6 19/1/2 x 2/1/2 and weighs in at 2.5kg made from Divynicell with Pawlonia/D-Cell rails .
Yet to ride it as the surf hasnt obliged with anything bigger than 1ft. But will offer a bit of a report if ya interested as soon as I get a few waves on it.
You can see the board on http://www.joshdowlingshape.com ( as its been used as a prop on the website).
Would load my own pictures but there on my laptop which is currently dead and getting fixed.
Last edited by DV8 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:39 pm

good on you for sharing but means nuthing without the board being thoroughly surfed so you can offer a true testimonial on the board, after all its the performance that really counts to a surfer... 8)

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:20 pm

pridmore wrote:good on you for sharing but means nuthing without the board being thoroughly surfed so you can offer a true testimonial on the board, after all its the performance that really counts to a surfer... 8)
true true !!!! And provide a report I will !

Board has to first look good to the eye and this one does so that is a good start for me...

yomutha
Grommet

Post by yomutha » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:21 pm

Ya tested it yet?

Come over to the morno peninsula! It's actually going to be surfable tomorrow! :D E/NE, 3 foot!

It's what Swellnet said... :D

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:25 pm

Groan...

Has anybody had any waves anywhere this week?

There's all these boards around, and I forgot what they're for! Some sort of shark-fishing lure?

While my little bro regales me with Tales of Mundaka and his plans for Puerto Escondito...bastard!

Yeah DV8 - I hope to hell the boards good for you...135 views already!

ooohhh....

Josh

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:54 pm

yomutha wrote:Ya tested it yet?

Come over to the morno peninsula! It's actually going to be surfable tomorrow! :D E/NE, 3 foot!

Nope not yet , well kinda . Quick paddle last night 2/3ft howling dead onshore with enough time for a quick trim ( I mean quick ) and then close out in ankle deep water.

It paddles great and is quite speedy ( pardon the pun). Up and going quickly and feels real nice weight wise . Sits nice in the water not too flat which has been an issue with previous compsands.
Hoping for something this weekend maybe 3/4ft fingers crossed and I can give you more insight. So far so good !!

yomutha
Grommet

Post by yomutha » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:19 am

Sounds good so far.

Cold fronts coming this weekend... Onshore for another couple of weeks... Again! :evil: DAMMIT!

Beerfan

boards

Post by Beerfan » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:27 am

Space machine looks like a heap of fun!!

DV8
regular

Re: Josh Dowling Comsand

Post by DV8 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:11 pm

Readers who where hoping for a in depth ride report will have to wait a little longer as I'm "man down" due to a touch footy accident . Few weeks out of the water ..........bugger !

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:56 pm

Here's the outline of my new quad ordered today from http://www.joshdowlingshape.com/index.html

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:34 pm

Ahhh, haven't seen a blank like that in a while... made a few styro ones like that in years gone by. Any stringer? Or just a thin line of epoxy sticking the two sides together?

Looks like someone talked you into going either an inch longer... or an inch shorter. :P

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Wingnut wrote:Here's the outline of my new quad ordered today from http://www.joshdowlingshape.com/index.html

The short one or tall one Wingnut ?

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:21 pm

I'm going for a 6'4" Quad in a full wood veneer for pitching reefs/fast beach breaks so it should have a decent amount of rocker as well.

I have to say it's been good dealing with Josh on some different ideas, I look forward to a fully custom compsand.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:05 pm

Wingnut wrote:I'm going for a 6'4" Quad in a full wood veneer for pitching reefs/fast beach breaks so it should have a decent amount of rocker as well.

I have to say it's been good dealing with Josh on some different ideas, I look forward to a fully custom compsand.
So its going to be fairly wide by the looks of the outline. I also have a quad in the pipeworks with Josh but full corecell for small grovel board .

Have just received my second board from Josh and couldn't be happier with shape and quality of work ( great sprays also) . Only thing is I haven't had a chance to ride them in anything resembling a wave as yet given the ridiculous flat spell on the east coast.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:47 pm

Hey Wingnut and DV8...

I'm busted! I sent you both the same pic of that outline! Its a happy coincidence the dims of the two orders are similar. The differences will be in the detail...mainly rail edges, and I'm thinking maybe different concaves.

Laid up Nut's Pawlonia bottom skin today, so he's winning, DV'!

Still hoping Newy cranks some day soon, for that rave review (Groan...)

Josh

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:18 am

speedneedle wrote:Hey Wingnut and DV8...
Still hoping Newy cranks some day soon, for that rave review (Groan...)
Josh
Well it certainly hasn't been cranking but last Friday and yesterday and today in particular is the biggest waves I've had since sometime in December. Head high or so on the sets bit of onshore/crossshore but good enough to gauge the JD board.
I'm pretty happy so far :D . Have tried other similar tech , but this one has the sweetest shape and similar curves to my favourite PU . Paddles similar to my PU but hasn't got that corkiness associated with some alternate tech. Nice and light weighs in about 2.6-2.7kg with FCS which is good for a board thats 6"6 19/1/2 x2/3/8. Quick of the mark and drives nicely on rail through cutbacks but still feels quite loose. High performance board IMHO. Can't wait to get it in some bowly overhead stuff :wink:
If anyone is contemplating adding a board in this tech to their quiver than I'd
say give one of Josh's customs a crack !!!! As Nutty said he's great to deal with and very patient :P Does some cool sprays to if thats your thing .
Cheers Josh !

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:30 pm

Hey Deev'

Thats waaaaay better than a red hot poker up the...

Better than the waves we have had around here lately...I'm getting weary of living on feedback...I need the real thing...

Josh

www.joshdowlingshape.com

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:41 am

Just like to share some pics of my new 6'4" quad from Josh Dowling, it has a bit more rocker than a standard board for Vic as I wanted to use it for late drops & wedgy beach breaks. Surf in Merimbula was average last week but gave it a run on Sunday & loved it, late drops are a breeze & it turns on a dime but need some good sized swell to really test it.
P1010601-1.jpg
P1010601-1.jpg (62.52 KiB) Viewed 57230 times
P1010598-1.jpg
P1010598-1.jpg (49.85 KiB) Viewed 57165 times
P1010596-1.jpg
P1010596-1.jpg (65.26 KiB) Viewed 57144 times