Fibreflex HELP

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:24 pm

Natho wrote:I don't get too caught up in the whole fin thing. I just stick M5s in my boards and Im done with it. Gives me a good idea of how each board was shaped to surf.

In my quad I just ride PU3s in the front and Gxs in the back and Im done with it. If the fins work I leave em in and that's that.

If it wasn't for the benefit of FCS when travelling I would just get glass ons in my boards and be done with it.

The whole fin thing is a real mind frk mixed in with a good dose of marketing wank. Just read some of the posts in some of the forums as an example of that :wink: :D :shock: .
Yeah, cause all pros ride the same fins regardless of the size waves they are riding, boards there using, the flex that suits them etc etc etc, fins mean nothing ... cough cough bullshit cough cough.

swift
regular

Post by swift » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:35 pm

I don't agree at all, different fins are not marketing hype!! They can make a massive difference to how the board performs.

For Example, I recall CJ Hobgood saying at J'Bay this year that he resorted to riding his short board but put bigger fins in it to handle the size.

If you read in some other posts about FF's, NC says he prefers the flexy fins with his boards, I am now thinking I like the stiffer fins.

When you buy a FW they only come with the stiffer fibreglass fins.

Don't underestermate fins I reckon they are a super important part of a boards feel.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:59 pm

I didn't say that fins are just marketing hype.

just that there is a fair amount of marketing hype thrown in to add to the mind frk.

My point was that chopping and changing fins just adds to the whole mind frk.

yes i do think different fins can help here and there. I just don't think they help to the degree that some people think they do.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:49 pm

Natho wrote:I didn't say that fins are just marketing hype.

just that there is a fair amount of marketing hype thrown in to add to the mind frk.

My point was that chopping and changing fins just adds to the whole mind frk.

yes i do think different fins can help here and there. I just don't think they help to the degree that some people think they do.
How would you know? you said you dont chop and change and if you could you would only use fixed fins. Seems to me that you havent tried them so wouldnt really know???? What works for you doesnt always work for others. Bit like religions really, go with what floats your boat I say. I have tried fins that didnt work for me and others that do, definately a lot in it if you ask me. One thing I will say, ever seen a pro or even a really hot local surfer use H2"s . I havent. TC Aqualines work for me on fishy type boards but I cant get H2's to work for me.

Jack Jack

Post by Jack Jack » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:01 pm

I've found with epoxy boards ya better off to go with fins with more depth to get the same sort of grip as a pu board.
I got PC7s front and AM1s rear on my FF quad - and the thing just drives off the bottom and keeps on keeping on through big hacks.

swift
regular

Post by swift » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:06 pm

Just for the record, I am now loving the FF.

It has taken a few more surf's than I had expected, but it was definately worth the frustration.

It's hard to explain the differences to a PU board, it would be interesting to get back on the old one as I think that's when I'd really notice the subtle (or not so) nuances.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:57 pm

Glad you like the FF swift.

I have had a few off Hayden and they have all been good boards.

I find they are suited to clean, smaller waves.

Once the surf gets a bit bumpy or bigger I find myself going back to a PU.

In the right conditions the FF boards are great.

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:10 pm

Weirdly, I too am growing to like my FF (gunther version) a lot. After the creasing episode (above), it was expertly repaired to the point where it's very hard to tell that it was damaged, and, unlike a PU board, the fix has had no noticeable affect on flex characteristics, or weight for that matter.

What started out feeling like twitchiness is now feeling like speed and responsiveness - really, this board accelerates like nobodies business - and I am getting on top of the turns more. At its very best in fast clean down the line type waves, especally smaller ones. I think I am becoming a convert.