concave?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

lexmark

concave?

Post by lexmark » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:44 pm

hi everyone. new here. unreal site/forum been looking around and reading things for days now and thought i should join up. looking at a new board - 6,3" and im just wondering wat the advantages / disadvantages are between single, double and single to double concave

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:55 pm

None!

Now can I have a new printer? :D

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:14 pm

single concave creates a tunnel for the water to flow quicker, it reduces rocker and adds lift, double has a vee in peak where the concaves are seperated which assists in turning and the concaves add control and lift...different combinations change the way the board performs and its really a matter of riding different bottom contours to know by feel what works best for you, talk to your shaper ( not an shop assistant or order form )...

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:23 pm

I've had doubles, a triple (Plater shape) and singles. It depends what type of shape you are looking at but I personally prefer singles - fast, loose and go like a shower of shit.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:29 pm

just started playing with triples myself, how was yours set up ? how did you like it ? wat style of board was it on ????????? so many questions and no I am not a cop....

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:06 pm

In short

Singles give you speed and projection with the possibility of tracking at speed.

Double breaks up the concave and assists in quick directional changes. Doubles can give you more squirt in the tail too.

Singles tend to be slightly faster but double gives you more control. A good double should not slow the board down much though.

Just started back on single to double set ups (by Simon) and love em.

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:20 pm

They go just bonza , cobber.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:24 pm

yeah, they go good, doin a few almost bonzer style concaves on Fat-Bat quads and they feeel goooood... you ride bonzers ??? full bonzer with angled side fins ????

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:26 pm

The triple concave is a 'flying fish' - hybrid fish shape. Mate it went so well until I snapped the first 6 inches off the bugger. It seemed like everytime I bottom turned it wanted climb the face to launch up over the lip. I loved that board like a child - I haven't bothered fixing it yet, just in case the magic has gone. Definitely recommend a triple...

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:26 am

Single to doubles / bonzers/ Vee in tail all work well for quads. The raised stringer helps give a centre point feel to the board which helps with that ugly sk8ty feel that most quads have. The trick is to have the double or vee running right between the fins. Throw in a round tail or diamond tail to assist in a pivot point feel for your quad. Throw in a bat tail if ya wanna look cool.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:42 am

Natho wrote:Single to doubles / bonzers/ Vee in tail all work well for quads. The raised stringer helps give a centre point feel to the board which helps with that ugly sk8ty feel that most quads have. The trick is to have the double or vee running right between the fins. Throw in a round tail or diamond tail to assist in a pivot point feel for your quad. Throw in a bat tail if ya wanna look cool.
not only can you look cool but they actually work very well,( great in head high and under waves) they have stability like a square but bite like a swallow but better (imo), and definitely work with thw quad like you say and with the double thru the fins, they feel great....not ugly thats 4 sure.. For me, vee bottoms on quads dont have enough hold, they are tooo easy to put on rail and feel out of control, no tail fin for hold and just too sketchy in the tail end....would depend on specific board design of course but just with the few I have tried.....

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:53 am

Hey Priddy, the bat tail comment was slightly tongue in cheek.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:26 am

Natho wrote:Hey Priddy, the bat tail comment was slightly tongue in cheek.
whatever, its only my opinion anyway....i like em

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:06 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:12 am

robzig wrote:I have bat tails on all my Stretch and Coles as I am Batman.
good for you...how many bats do i have to have ( or done ) to be a batman too ???? I have an all black bat tail quad, thats polished and looks sick....did consider a batman logo but decided against it....interested to see pics of your boards if you have any..mine are on my site...cheers

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:42 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:35 pm

robzig wrote:
pridmore wrote: good for you...how many bats do i have to have ( or done ) to be a batman too ???? I have an all black bat tail quad, thats polished and looks sick....did consider a batman logo but decided against it....interested to see pics of your boards if you have any..mine are on my site...cheers
Prido you are a supplier to the bat people and your work will not go without notice once you reach the pearly black gates of Bat Heaven.

Sorry no pics of the boards as I don't have the will to take them. But I will have a peak at your site. I should invest in a Aussie made quad/bat but I thought I would go to the originals first (Cole is the man). How much you do your boards for?
$490= but that price is pissing off a few of the local shapers around here...might have to put it up soon ?????

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Re: concave?

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:55 am

rather than start a new thread I have gone back over a number of 'concave' discussions here and in board design but find it difficult to draw a clear conclusion ...

I've often said I am not real cluey when it comes to board design and features as I have stuck with the same shaper for the last 20 years and always leave it up to him to apply the latest tweeks etc. and I ride fairly simple shapes and stick with fins that I know ... also I like to stick to one board (1- waves 0'-5' , 2- 5'-6' and over) so I'm really talking about a everyday northern beaches board ...

on the concave issue, I ride single to double at the tail at the moment (or triple or whatever it's called :? :?: )

so what I am really trying to conclude from anyone who would care to respond is ... based on rounded pin's (regular short boards) what are the key differences ...

here's my take, so please let me know if you think I'm on the right track or not :idea: (RV, NC, Prids, Wanto if you are still out there :?: :wink: )

decifering the various threads it seems that the single to double allows for quicker/shorter turns which 'sounds like' it would work well in smaller beach breaks (no discussion on small beach break alternatives and fish please ... stick to performance boards) however need more rocker and would technically be a bit slower in dead spots on a wave :?: ... however the ease of quick turns can compensate for the slowness in dead spots allowing for little speed gathering turns ... :idea: :?:

the single all the way through sounds like it has more speed in a straight line and would maintain speed through dead spots on typical beach breaks etc. but 'sounds like' it works on a more carving type power turn ... again the speed generated would assist the type of turn but is there a significant difference in how quick and short the turn can be made ... :?: this sounds more like a bigger wave and reef break board of course ... :idea:

so it seems a bit like a coin toss if I am in fact on the right track here ... or in your experience is there a big enough noticable difference in local NB conditions ...

little bro has just picked up a new single concave rounded pin so I will have a go in a couple of weeks but he is very much a more powerful surfer than me and although he can really throw his board around they are a fair bit tighter than mine ...

I know there are other (personal) variables in play and it's all a bit subjective in the end but I'd like to hear if can can draw a clear conclusion , a show of hands if you will, on your preference or if you find a distinct difference ...

new board on mind obviously ... :wink: