Cheap quality boards on the Northern Beaches

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

simonoxenham
regular

Post by simonoxenham » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:03 pm

hey guys. thanks for the input i reckon theres nothging wrong with local shapers. good point in that they shape for our local (shithouse) conditions. i actually ended up getting a second hand firewire for 700. i know i said i wanted something cheap but it was a sweet deal. been ridden 5 times. nothing wrong with it.

and can i just say city beach it the worst f#@$king shop iv ever been in.

cheers for ur input guys take it easy
stay drug free, get drugs for free, and give em to me

bc
charger

Post by bc » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:34 pm

Cash Converters

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:14 pm

lamesville wrote:
bro wrote:Mate $700 bucks is a bargain for the joy a good board will bring you, don't be such a f@#king tight arse.
bloody oath. i mean what do you people expect? do you actually have any idea what goes on in the process of making a "quality" surfboard, as in factory/labour/material costs. you may say you do but you pretty much dont. surfboards are grossly underpriced as it is.
i know you may only get 12 months out of it and it sucks, but like he said, it may bring you the most joy you have ever had.

Exactly right. But hey the punter can go froth out on the 'local' shaper with the quadriple accidental concave and the slight wobble in the nose and the delaminated logos and the colouring foam that lets in water...

but hey its $120 cheaper and i get to speak to the guy and he knows me really well and i have a good relationship with him and he surfs with me and watches my son surf blah blah blah....

:roll:

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:51 pm

boardscape avalon wrote:
Carpark King wrote:
Longygrom wrote:
Carpark King wrote:mate just google surfboards in mona vale. It will come up with shiitloads of local shapers such as clear, division, u-turn, red dog, dalgleish, horner, misfit etc
he said 'quality' boards....not second rate local boards
Thats a big call.

If they invested more in advertising and chasing any pro they can get their hands then would they become a first class shaper?

Go back to your 'surf' shop.
hey mr carpark, whats wrong with surf shops...why dont you come and pick up the board you have in my store and try and trade it with one of those shapers , as part payment on youre new board? ANSWER they arent interested......nothing wrong with those shapers in mona... but most board stores trade on new boards greatly helping on replacement costs.... come and see me dude
Hey Bev that was not a swipe at your shop. Your shop is actually a surf shop!

I was just having a stab at Longy coz from memory he works in a surf shop selling big namers & I didnt think it was fair to trash local shapers.

I must say I like chatting with the shaper about my next board.. thats a big factor. But im still up for seeing what you got available...!

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:17 pm

Longygrom wrote:
lamesville wrote:
bro wrote:Mate $700 bucks is a bargain for the joy a good board will bring you, don't be such a f@#king tight arse.
bloody oath. i mean what do you people expect? do you actually have any idea what goes on in the process of making a "quality" surfboard, as in factory/labour/material costs. you may say you do but you pretty much dont. surfboards are grossly underpriced as it is.
i know you may only get 12 months out of it and it sucks, but like he said, it may bring you the most joy you have ever had.

Exactly right. But hey the punter can go froth out on the 'local' shaper with the quadriple accidental concave and the slight wobble in the nose and the delaminated logos and the colouring foam that lets in water...

but hey its $120 cheaper and i get to speak to the guy and he knows me really well and i have a good relationship with him and he surfs with me and watches my son surf blah blah blah....

:roll:
I would say that mass produced big label boards would be more prone to having funky concaves and glassing issues in comparison to many local shapers. However Im sure the labels would be perfectly placed ;)

The number of stock boards they have to pump out has got too have an impact on quality. Im sure the fact that they never get too see the customer is very reassuring to them.

In saying all that im sure you can get sick label boards too...

Too many shapers/companies and variables to make this argument worthwhile...

mj
regular

Post by mj » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:34 pm

For the pure bargain I reckon Line Up in Dee Why. I've bought maybe 10 boards there, all between 180-300 bucks (just offer 50-100 bucks under marked price). Snapped them all but I snapped a brand new one too (won't buy another one). I've seen identical boards in other stores where final price is probably 50 more every time.

aloha kid

Post by aloha kid » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:10 am

Another vote for Aloha down at Manly - good fella's. If you want to deal with dopes go to Base at Manly - fair dinkum if I was big Simon I would be concerned with who I had selling my boards.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:31 am

lamesville wrote:
Right there with ya lamesville.

carparking, a machine cut quality board designed by a reputable and highly experienced boardmaker is way more likely to have an evenly placed concave than a hand shape. Truth is it takes a shaper thousands of boards to get a handshaping eye in, it's always been an underrated and underpaid skill, very few handshapers were ever truly on the money board-to-board, and the majority of "backyard" surfboard makers have always done a pretty substandard job -- that is until they started getting access to machine-cut castoffs from top boardmakers. This is very rarely mentioned in any of our spectacular discussions on surfboard value.

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:51 am

I remember as a grom, wandering through the quiet streets of Yamba one morning, gazing through the window of a shop and falling in love with a Country Style surfboard. It had the best spray on it and straight away I wanted it. It was priced at $350. My old man told me that was more than what he earned in a week!

Whats an average wage now - $800 - $1000 a week??
Does this mean that surfboards are cheaper now?
Or were Country Style boards a rip off !?

I told him to get another job. :lol:

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:05 am

Wherever you are, whatever your standard, my advice is the same; find a good shaper, work with him, fall in love with him.

Even if you're only getting one board every 6 or 12 months at least you'll be building upon knowledge and not starting from scratch every time.

Put the time in and build a relationship.

It's like how fashion models fall in love with ugly, French photographers. Do you know why that is? It's cos photographers make insecure young girlies look good. Find a good shaper, pretend he's your ugly French photographer, and he too will make you look good.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:36 am

2nd Reef wrote:It's like how fashion models fall in love with ugly, French photographers. Do you know why that is? It's cos photographers make insecure young girlies look good. Find a good shaper, pretend he's your ugly French photographer, and he too will make you look good.
Reefy's turning into Lucky Al :lol: :lol: :lol:

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:31 am

scroopulis wrote:I remember as a grom, wandering through the quiet streets of Yamba one morning, gazing through the window of a shop and falling in love with a Country Style surfboard. It had the best spray on it and straight away I wanted it. It was priced at $350. My old man told me that was more than what he earned in a week!

spoit little kid i was, went every may schoolholidays to angourie, knew the webbers from school in syd, anyway my old man orders me a COUNTRY STYLE twin fin channel bottom with a gary temperley ( i know thats incorrect name spellin, sorry) spray definitely the coolest board i EVER owned... the brand was ROD DAHLBERGS...30 yrs later i still ride his boards... the guy is a master.. p.s i struggled on that board. i had no right owning a board like that....twinnys never suited me, but geez that was as good a twinfin as ya could get....

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:30 am

mj wrote:For the pure bargain I reckon Line Up in Dee Why. I've bought maybe 10 boards there, all between 180-300 bucks (just offer 50-100 bucks under marked price). Snapped them all but I snapped a brand new one too (won't buy another one). I've seen identical boards in other stores where final price is probably 50 more every time.
I have had a couple through Line Up and yeah they are cheap but to be honest with you, saving a hundred bucks or so wasnt worth the of having to deal with Wayno. What a nightmare!

I have bought my last 2 boards off the rack at Aloha in Manly and its been great. Their range is big enough that you get almost as much choice as getting a custom. plus you know what you are getting and dont have to stress out about whats going to turn up in a month or two.

sir_fur71
regular

Post by sir_fur71 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:53 pm

Talk to Dave the shaper and owner of Misfit. Dave is a hand shaper that takes his time and has great pride in his work. His customs are around $500. He has a factory / office in Brookvale behind Chaos boards.

I've had heaps of boards from him over the years and can't fault any.

Dave's a really nice fella too!

www.misfitshapes.com

Nah, I don't get commission, just like to give credit where it is due..

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:07 pm

boardscape avalon wrote:
scroopulis wrote:I remember as a grom, wandering through the quiet streets of Yamba one morning, gazing through the window of a shop and falling in love with a Country Style surfboard. It had the best spray on it and straight away I wanted it. It was priced at $350. My old man told me that was more than what he earned in a week!

spoit little kid i was, went every may schoolholidays to angourie, knew the webbers from school in syd, anyway my old man orders me a COUNTRY STYLE twin fin channel bottom with a gary temperley ( i know thats incorrect name spellin, sorry) spray definitely the coolest board i EVER owned... the brand was ROD DAHLBERGS...30 yrs later i still ride his boards... the guy is a master.. p.s i struggled on that board. i had no right owning a board like that....twinnys never suited me, but geez that was as good a twinfin as ya could get....
I bet you that was probably the board I wanted!
I reckon you should stock 'em at Av. It'd go well on the roof of my X5 next to me SUP.

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:28 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
lamesville wrote:
Right there with ya lamesville.

carparking, a machine cut quality board designed by a reputable and highly experienced boardmaker is way more likely to have an evenly placed concave than a hand shape. Truth is it takes a shaper thousands of boards to get a handshaping eye in, it's always been an underrated and underpaid skill, very few handshapers were ever truly on the money board-to-board, and the majority of "backyard" surfboard makers have always done a pretty substandard job -- that is until they started getting access to machine-cut castoffs from top boardmakers. This is very rarely mentioned in any of our spectacular discussions on surfboard value.
Yeh I agree about pure handshapes vs machine cut. However most boardmakers I have received boards from In mona use the APS 3000..