surfers mate- like hell

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

lovemuscle
Grommet

Post by lovemuscle » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:44 am

One of my local shapers gets these Jap mags. Its like a annual and is chock full of most big name surfboard and wettie companies. I was dribbling over the pics of some of the boards...cant read japanese though :?

not this oneImage

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:50 pm

i hope it won't seem too opportunistic of me to mention here that kurungabaa, the journal of creative and critical writing for surfers which clif, 2nd reef and i have been working on for the last few months, is going to the printer tonight, and that on the website which went up last night all texts for the first issue will be viewable tomorrow. lots of good people have helped get this up and running, including several realsurf forum regulars. we'll post the link in 'check my website' tomorrow, just a few things need fixing first.

Lairdy
Grommet

Post by Lairdy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:13 pm

Modern day surf mag's. One word: W*nkers!!!

Regardless of print and online. If something is quality people will buy it. I bought a fantastic book all about surfboards the other week. Cost me $90! - however I am pleased and cannot put the thing down. It is a 'coffee table' book and I guarantee that any true surfer would flick through that book for the rest of his / her years. It is great, loads of decent pics and tonnes of quality content. Brilliant!

Modern day Tracks (an example) - is utter sh1te(.) Full of sh1t adverts and totally sold out. The problem lies with the backing. Who backs Tracks? Who supports Tracks and what are their aims?

Answer ACP and another answer = profit...

So - If there is anyone out there who loves surfing, is happy to not become a millionaire, however might make some pocket money, get involved!!!

The landscape needs a quality tangible surf mag. (I agree that online is the where the eyeballs are, however a decent mag that you can take on the bus, down the beach etc...)

Can any of the top Aussie photographers, journo's and surf folk pull together to come up with a decent mag?

I would subscribe!

Marine Jacket Spud
Grommet

Post by Marine Jacket Spud » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:06 pm

Ringmaster wrote:^^^^Gotta ask......how long have you been involved in surfing/anything to do with surfing :?: :?: :?:

Seems like a lotta guys here rag Tracks (and the other mags) for being 'sell outs', due to the fact that their 5 - 10 years surfing experience has been enough to see these mags go from 'core' to commercial. :lol: :lol:

Most of you carnts that subscribe to that point of view are probably the same pricks that have over populated line ups around the world due to the overhype of the surf media/corporates over that same time span (last 10 years) :roll:

I bag Tracks out a bit these days myself..............but I started reading it as a grom in about 1980...........

In 2008, EVERYONE'S a surfer :roll: :roll:

I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... I SURF..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Woh there Ringstingmaster man!! This isn't a competition on how long you have been surfing for! Congratulations by the way you were reading Tracks back in the 80's (when it was a good read...)

This topic is about quality surf material and where surfers are going nowadays to get their fix. What surfers are reading and rating in 2008. Is there a place for a print surf mag in 2008 with the advent of online? etc

Incidentally I have been surfing around for a fair few decades myself. If that has anything to do with this thread? Wow you must be a surf God Ringertingertingting!!! You were reading Tracks in 1980! WOW!!!!!! :roll:

Mate - there are lots of surfers around both yesteryear and today. How long being a surfer is not relevant to this post.
Last edited by Marine Jacket Spud on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:59 am

Ringmaster wrote:Fact: I've never seen ANYONE that has started surfing after the age of about 18 or 19 get to the stage where they have become anything more than 'competant' at best and it seems like a fair percentage of this type of crew like to speak for all of us :roll:
What’s the relevance, Barnum & Bailey?

We’re talking magazines wrapped in plastic :twisted: content, ability to read, have an opinion...

So did the missus give ya leg a workout :?: :D

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:59 pm

Ringmaster wrote:In the harsh light of day and fully sober, I retract what I wrote above.
Never!
Ringmaster wrote:..........and NO......didn't get ANY sort of action, Ric :cry:
Are well, not long ’til WA, least then you’ll get some. :wink:

Lairdy
Grommet

Post by Lairdy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:44 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:In the harsh light of day and fully sober, I retract what I wrote above.
Never!
Ringmaster wrote:..........and NO......didn't get ANY sort of action, Ric :cry:
Are well, not long ’til WA, least then you’ll get some. :wink:
Ha ha, I hear where you are coming from though Master of the Ring. The newbies who fuel the commersialism. However I am sure that there are new surfers who are attracted to the soul side of surfing, don't bite the commercial bullet (is that a bad thing in this day and age?) and respect more competent surfers and do not get in there way etc.

It is a little off the mark, however you do get two extreme learners:

The learner I like:
Buys a second hand board, learns about the surf, rips, etiquette, paddles out no where near the line up and throws him / her self into it, embraces it and does it for the stoke.

(After all it is not our god given right to surf just cos we have been doing it for decades... The beach is for everyone etc) - well I do not mind sharing the beach with the above learner.

Ok here is the next learner:

Buys a brand new board, brand new wetsuit, gets as many 'accesories as he or she can' - deck grip, bright coloured dazzling leggie - blah blah blah. Then!!!!! Does not brush up knowledge on the surf, does not know what 'etiquette' means and paddles out straight into the line up.

I think the terminology for our second learner surfer is: "all the gear, no idea"... - Other wise known as caaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrnt... ;) (sorry guys but I had to say it!)

Now this is the bit that confuses me: They could both buy Tracks and both think that it is a big pile of sold out dog sh!t.

H'mmm - I am now confused... :shock: :?