South African boards

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

MarcusJ

South African boards

Post by MarcusJ » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:18 pm

I'm going to South Africa - Cape Town to J Bay - later this year and was wondering whether anyone knows about getting boards over there. I checked some web sites and it looks like new boards can be had for a little over AUD 300, and I thought that buying one there could be better than taking some with me, especially as we're going other places on the trip where boards will just be a nuisance. One option would be to order a custom and pick it up, or even easier, just pick one off the rack.

We'll be starting the surfing leg in Cape Town. Any suggestions for good options to get a board there?

Any tips or stories on spots along that route also welcome:)

cambo
regular

Post by cambo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:28 pm

MJ there is no shortage of surf and surf equipment available in SA.

Here's a starter: http://www.wavescape.co.za/top_bar/gear/surfshops.html

and as for surf spots - you will find them ;-)

pridmore
Owl status

Re: South African boards

Post by pridmore » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:31 pm

MarcusJ wrote:I'm going to South Africa - Cape Town to J Bay - later this year and was wondering whether anyone knows about getting boards over there. I checked some web sites and it looks like new boards can be had for a little over AUD 300, and I thought that buying one there could be better than taking some with me, especially as we're going other places on the trip where boards will just be a nuisance. One option would be to order a custom and pick it up, or even easier, just pick one off the rack.

We'll be starting the surfing leg in Cape Town. Any suggestions for good options to get a board there?

Any tips or stories on spots along that route also welcome:)
I would take at least 1 good solid board that works well for you, you can easy pick up another over there but I would want 1 I could rely on especially in solid waves O.S......

rmshapes
Grommet

Post by rmshapes » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:10 am

Got a friend Dean Geraghty in Capetown who makes Town and Country. Really cool guy who can send you on your way with a nice stick. [email protected]

spook
Grommet

Post by spook » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:46 pm

i flew to j-bay a few years ago from the uk, with the plan of picking up some good boards. they weren't as cheap as i thought they'd be (about $500-600)AUS for a new stick) plus there weren't many that looked great, which i found suprising given the amount of shops and boards there. thats just personal preference though, but not too many boards leapt off the racks for me or looke dhtta great in the shops
i'd definitely take a favourite board over and pick up a new one there, but wouldn't rely exclusively on being able to march into a shop and find a great board
obviously being in cape town there will be more boards available than in j-bay
have a sick trip, it's a great place

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:16 pm

i will back up rexs comment re that deano dude.. order it before ya go....