Any suggestion for choosing a deck grip?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

minossurf

Any suggestion for choosing a deck grip?

Post by minossurf » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:10 pm

I have used Gorilla grip, Creature most time. I found out creature seems little harder(or tougher) than G grip (soft). What you guys think? Any better ones out there?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:22 pm

i'm not sure if mine are better but i'll review em cause diff too yours

sketchy :arrow: (speling :? :oops: ) good....like it sticks well feels nice with the big arch

dakine :arrow: pretty much my favourite....love the bruce irons grip

i wax all my tailpads....so... :?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:54 pm

fongys right dakine bruce pad is gold.

But by god it falls apart quick so watch it.

MrLewis
Grommet

Post by MrLewis » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:20 pm

yeah mine's doing that - what's the best way to remove the old stuff and clean and prepare for a new one?

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:49 pm

wax :D

pridmore
Owl status

deck grip

Post by pridmore » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:15 pm

I used to love the old Astrodeck, it used to make my knees bleed from rubbing and duck-diving but it did the business.... Think its still available in Aust. used to do some great old school vids too

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:56 am

^^haha. YES !!!!!
Astrodeck back then was the shit and all the wave warriors movies :D :D

Still get it in Oz.

And for the record I don't use grip but Dakine and Creatures are our 2 top pads.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:11 am

Yeh Ive been using Astro on a few boards and like it.

Been using Dakaine Andy and Bruce pads on other boards and like em heaps too. In fact I have a bleeding left knee from a weekend comp from using a new Bruce pad. Frck it ripped me knee up, but worked a treat.
Havn't had any problem with the Dakaines falling apart as Nick has suggested, however they are on my good boards that I save for competition only (not surfed all the time). Mind you I did have the tail block lift off the deck at the weekend. Had to use the old Sellys to fix it.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:30 am

creatures - rob machado
works good. i got this one cos the ramp at the rear of the tail pad is a bit smaller than others. just my personal preference...

some tail pads don't last long do they?

i was exploring the options of removing the residual adhesive from the deck after peeling a tail pad off. but then i snapped that board on sunday arvo, so i didn't have to worry!!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:51 am

matt... wrote:removing the residual adhesive from the deck after peeling a tail pad off
Solvent: acetone or turps. Turps is safer.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:01 pm

Currently using

Gorilla grip - no issues
FCS - rips up the knee a bit
Famous - worst glue in the business use super glue to keep it on altho they have just moved to 3m so it may be better now
Blackline - too early to tell but so far so good

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:56 pm

I previously used a Mick Fanning creatures, but after time the tail block tore off (after 2nd summer though)..and the glue was a mother to get off even with acetone.

I now have Dakine Bruce model at it goes great. I did leave it to stick for three days with an encyclopedia on the kick tail bit...hopefully that'll have a better result with the stick !

I assume though with all pads that after a while the kick tail tears...I think this has something to do with the railsaver of the leggy getting caught from time to time.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:31 pm

dunnc wrote: I assume though with all pads that after a while the kick tail tears...I think this has something to do with the railsaver of the leggy getting caught from time to time.
And maybe from your back foot always jamming down on it :?: I find that it's not my leggy wearing the pad away, because where it's warn is where my foot lands and no where else.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:43 am

Gorilla Grip Batmo pad. It's got inserts that let you change the colour of the bats. It's got INSERTS PEOPLE! Does it get any better?!!??

minossurf

Post by minossurf » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:39 pm

I am currently using G-grip Batmo and I feel really good about it and it looks good with my bat-tail. It is soft and doesn't give me a knee rip up. I used to have Creature Taj model and rips up my knee a lot. I will have to try Dakine Bruce as everyone seems happy with that.

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:44 pm

I've got a few grips,

Creatures Taj which goes alright except the glue started to lift after about a year, thanks to a realsurf topic somewhere in the archives I've glued it back down and it's good as new, got another older creatures pad (maybe 5-7 years old....not sure got the board off a mate) it's not so great, grip gets very slippery.

Then there was my gorilla grip pad on my old board, that used to tear up my knees pretty bad, but it was good grip,

On my semi-gun it's just wax, love the feel sometimes :wink:

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:44 pm

Go a rocketblock.

Now theres something that would rip friggn knee apart !!

rabbity7
regular

Post by rabbity7 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:05 pm

I used to always go creatures but every single one of them pulled up and I stuck them all down properly and last summer I had a sea ulcer on my knee all season so I'm never going for them again. I've currently gone back to my old hate, palmers and have found they have really lifted there game. So far (bout 1-2 months) I haven't seen any sign of lifting and my knee is fine. Grip is good. The kick can never be big enough for me. I love massive kicks. Yeah so I'm happy with the current palmers. I've also got a gorilla at the moment its alright but its pulling abit and my knee gets abit shredded. Just don't go creatures. I ended up pulling up my creatures and putting on a girly looking billabong one that my brother won in a comp. It was that bad. It was pretty much falling off anyway though.