Any suggestion for choosing a deck grip?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Topher
regular

Re: Any suggestion for choosing a deck grip?

Post by Topher » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:39 pm

Jet, I bought a OAM pad a little while ago (from puresea up towards the station) was not round at the base but was shaped kind of round and a few people said it looked good on a rounded pintail that I had. I always thought it looked a bit funny being roundish, but didn't really mind - just thought a tail pad would help me find the sweet spot on that board (that I never found).

I don't really dig deck grip, I think of it as a fashion accesory that gives my knees a rash - the squid one I had was ok though a bit softer and thicker - and got it free with a cover.

EDIT: JET - From the website It lloks like a Chris malloy model (signature deckgrip of a guy I have never heard of, HA)

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:03 pm

I went and pcked up the plain black Carve tail pad from Bondi this arvo. Farking $60 though....

It's on my board already. Bit of a gamble seeing as i haven't surfed it. I had a read of a few threads e.g Diggers new quad, then just took a punt. Pretty happy with how it looks and i'm really keen to get it in the water.

I thought i'd checked all the shops in Cronulla, i always forget about those guys near the station because they look like one of those clothing based stores with no hardware based stock except for a few leggies and some wax... seems i've judged a book by its cover in this instance.

Anyways...

Cheers for all your help.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

dolfn
Grommet

Post by dolfn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:07 am

Higuys,

I have been using Dakine grips for some time and absolutely love them. The are thin, firm not as soft and mushy as Creatures, but not as hard and knee rubbingly abrasive as Gorilla. I also like the 20mm arch that most of them have and a nice firm 25mm kick.

My problem is, Dakine seem to be really hard to get hold of. Surfstich have a few, but don't seem to stock the latest and most surf shops just have an odd splattering.

I am just about get my hands on a new board and want to buy a grip for it.

Have seen alot of new products on the market.

Blackline
Famous
Modom.

Have any of you had much experience with these newer products and are you able to compare with some of the older brands.

Cheers

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:58 pm

Seems Dakine was bought-out and the shuffling of staff and stock got complicated...but that was a year ago...

Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:37 pm

dolfn wrote:Higuys,

Have seen alot of new products on the market.
Blackline
Famous
Modom.
Have any of you had much experience with these newer products and are you able to compare with some of the older brands.
Cheers
Hey Dolf,
Was searching last 2 weeks for one for the "BABY BONUS" and IMO modom look shite don't like the shapes particularly the ramp, Famous and Blackline have some goodies , Famous not great for big hoofs , well the ones I saw anyways , Blackline had crappy colours but looked doable.

In the end went back to DAKINE never failed me in the past . And since Josh's supply of Vanda's dried up ...........well had little choice :lol:

dolfn
Grommet

Post by dolfn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks Devs,

Yeah I agree, didnt dig the Modom shape, Surfstich have a few Dakine shapes and colors left, so I went with one of those. Cant beat dakine. Never failed me.

Cheers mate