Post by steve shearer » Sun May 31, 2009 3:48 pm

Nice looking left Grom.
Givin it some stick.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Re: Show us your....Pics! V2

Post by Lucky Al » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:55 pm

photoshop 'em good salty, lest we forget my great-granddad fought hard in the great war and got taken prisoner by the cruel boche and had his leg mangled and heart crumpled returning to the illawarra a broken man meaning my nan only 14 years old had to take care of her seven brothers and sisters so she never knew childhood and to this day has a rotten sense of humour and yet we live the wonderful life we live today with you taking your pictures and smoking your ciggies while we catch all the waves without having to worry about being dropped in on by huns or mongols or nips although we do use a lot of cheap japanese rubbish but never mind. and would you mind photoshopping my wetty so it doesn't say 'breakerout' on the front, as nan could very well find that offensive. cheers salty, i'm sitting back with beer and chips now to await the event of the year here on realsurf.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:16 pm

oh no dear dinosaur far from it the man shoots with blunderbuss and musketoon to which he's attached banneret and pennon and when he shoots a sequence why you'd swear he was banging on a kettle drum. a leica, heavens no.

Rude_Beef
regular

Post by Rude_Beef » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:10 pm

Heres one of me taken last year (check the shark fin rock in the foreground)
Speeds surf 010resize.jpg
Speeds surf 010resize.jpg (58.05 KiB) Viewed 5803 times

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:20 pm

Salts, it sounds like you've got a good idea of the technical changes to make.

As for putting those changes in place, I'd suggest you've also gotta concentrate on your weight distribution. I'm guessing you usually think of cutties as purely a back foot deal. Good, long, driving cutbacks have the rail initially being engaged with weight more forward on the front foot. Concentrating on getting your weight forward thru the start of the cutty, will help to keep you more open thru the turn. Try to basically evenly transfer your weight from the front to back foot thru the duration of the turn. Only really driving hard on the back foot thru the last part of the turn. Try and overcome the urge to just froth out, and jam down hard on the tail too early in the turn.

As you've mentioned trying to get that leading arm around to lead the way and open your shoulders, but you don't necessarily have to drag it.

Remember, any changes are gunna feel foreign at first. And you may get frustrated with bogging a rail or somesuch. But persistence will pay eventually. Go down to Green Island or somewhere like that, where you will get multiple opportunities to put the changes into effect. Waves like that give you plenty of time to really fine tune little things.

Report back when your doing crazy big foam rebounds on your roundhouse cutbacks.

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:35 pm

salty wrote:
Anyone got some pointers on how I can stay focussed on getting my arms in to this position and not getting too caught up in the moment. I think I'm trying to hack it too much, rather than open my shoulders up and draw out a nice clean, flowing arch. And when I hack it, I find that both my arms go up in the air, rather than keeping the leading arm down.
Just slow down, find a fattish wave and concentrate on what you want to do. Concentrate on being smoother/connecting everything rather than hacking at everything you see. Exactly what tiger said as well, work on a more even weight distribution.

If you want that spread eagle style, just put both arms up and pretend your flying :mrgreen:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:38 pm

Seeing as you have so much experience on your resume Dino , why don't you post up an example?
The worst that can happen is public ridicule......

Salty technically speaking you are counter-rotating.
Get on a skatey and follow the advice of others here...on a skatey you can break it down and be conscious of the movement pattern.
Ever have a penchant for forehand laybacks?

The other tip given to me by Shane Herring (when he was still lucid), was you need to square your turns up more....ie take your bottom turns further out and closer to the breaking part of the wave ...so your top turns are then closer in the pocket and have more room in them....if that makes sense....it also slows down the tendency to outrun the wave if your frothing.
Easier said then done in shitty surf....some points and reefs just seem to make it so much easier.

creased
Local

Post by creased » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:29 pm

salty wrote:P.S. I need to really focus on getting that right arm down into the fulcrum and open up my shoulders. Only have the problem when surfing front-side... damn frustrating. As much as I concentrate on it when taking off (thinking, lead with the arm, lead with the arm... fly like an eagle)
Least your not over cookin the outside arm Zoolander style Salts :lol: yeew.... I'm with Shearer on the Skatey advice, trying to keep your speed through turns right on the verge of sliding.

:idea: both arms in yeah!

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:42 pm

salty wrote:. otherwise it's just too easy to lie to yourself. :mrgreen:
but lying to yourself is so much easier, and more fun! :mrgreen:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:54 am

Looks like you shoulda been higher on the wave face when you started that turn (not much speed, weak bottom turn?). You kept the board too flat through frames one and two....by frame 3 when you were really into the turn the power pocket had kind of gone and instead of being able to rebound off that little whitewater corner the turn kind of bogged at the wave base.
Didn't seem to be much energy in the hips and lower body....core strength maybe needed? Too many beers?
BTW is that a Byron Bay style necklace around that thick neck?
Jeez , everyones a fcuking critic hey?

Still; better than tapping away on a keyboard building a database.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:56 am

Ringmaster wrote:Some of you blokes who are relatively new should wack a few pics on here. It's one thread I like cause instead of talking shit, we're actually posting pics of ourselves............SURFING............which is what Realsurf is all about :!:

Isn't it :?: :?
Too true Ringa.

Here's a couple of simple shots from last year I managed to find :|
DSCF2887.jpg
DSCF2737.jpg
0901030477.JPG

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:58 am

wooha...nice reft.

surely not Vicco?

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:01 am

steve shearer wrote:surely not Vicco?
Surely it is :wink:

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:53 am

Short distance south of Sydney-no one out-
DPP_0001.JPG
DPP_0002.JPG
DPP_0003.JPG
DPP_0004.JPG
DPP_0005.JPG
DPP_0006.JPG
DPP_0007.JPG
DPP_0008.JPG
DPP_0009.JPG
DPP_0010.JPG
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:36 am

Hopefully you're slotted somewhere in that sequence LM :!:

Or are we posting general surfing pics we've snapped as well? Got mobs of those.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:57 am

salty wrote:Thanks for tips guys. I'm definitely jammin' the back foot in way too hard... Iggy tells me that all the time and says I froth too much trying to gouge everything.

I like Tiger's tip on driving with the front foot through the first half of the turn, then shifting the weight on to the back foot as I start to pivot back and release.

I think I'll work on this move and give it my full attention over the next couple of months.

Now I have a gf (who, incidently loves the beach and my camera) will happily take pics of me surfing, I'll post back in a month or so and you can critique my style some more.

Thanks a bunch!
Nige
Hmmm. I think I might share Nige's problem... never really thought about it before but in smaller stuff I always do it. I do kinda drive through the first third of the turn, but then shift my weight slightly onto my backfoot and push it till the fins release and the tail lets go. I think I am probably overcompensating and trying to make the turn look and feel better, when my board is really too flat through the turn. More on a rail I reckon it would drive rather than slide through that middle stage.

I also seem to suffer from "drooping eagle". :oops:

I will say though that in steeper, less flat waves it's a lot less of a problem... but I am secretly jealous of guys who can do those drivey cutbacks in fattish waves. Definitely takes more board control.
dug3_sloff.jpg

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:46 am

Both pics have a huge thanks to Butts attached :)

Butts has great prowess as a photog, great timing. Its a great picture, but what you don't see is later in the sequence, as I approached the bottom of the wave going through this cut-back the surge jacked up. The second shot is the board going one way and me going the other about the face-plant a rock 6 inches under the surface. Great timing Butts!

Got smashed on this one. Didn't make it. Good timing again Butts!

Nice shot, but a moment later my back foot slipped off the tail and I blew this take-off. Sensational timing again Butts! You make me look like I can surf :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Yeah, all from Butts' stomping ground, the point.

The board in the first and last photo is a Geoff Horner custom that snapped years ago. It was something around 6'3" x 18 5/8" x 2 1/2" single-to-double, speed fins (love em). It went really well, had a nice balance of drive and curves. A switch of fins was all it needed to surf well in both small and more powerful waves.

The board in the second shot is a Drew Anderson custom that I bought when I was a poor uni student. I've since sold it to a mate since getting my Quadfather. Same dimensions as above, but more of a continual curve in the rocker than the Horner. It went like a bit of dog in small waves. I'm guessing it was the rocker as it felt looser than the other board and surfed best in waves with a bit of curve and power.

I'm far happier with Mark's boards and service, so I won't be getting any boards form them anymore.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.