Show us your....Pics! V2

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Clif
barnacle

Re: Show us your....Pics! V2

Post by Clif » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:27 pm

Hey Al,

did you see my lame-arse movie attempt of that footage of my mate and I I told you about from an Indo trip a decade ago? I used the movie maker on Mac. I had to re-shoot the footage with my camera from a screen. I shoulda got your help but wanted to have a go myself first.

http://www.vimeo.com/3822028

Can you put moving pictures in this thread? :mrgreen:

still here
charger

Post by still here » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:07 pm

siiiiiick!!!!!!!!!!!

Deesee
barnacle

Post by Deesee » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:33 pm

Hey AL - great photo at Belco bowl. Tiles make the best sound!
If it feels good, do it.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:14 pm

Yeah, nice work clif. Some fine waves well surfed.

Lighting made my brain hurt trying to make it out sometimes, but very nice.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:28 pm

dinosaur wrote:Thats fantastic cliff. Why did you have to shoot it off a scree? I'd love to see a better copy.
and can't you edit in some priceless tim bonython commentary?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:46 pm

:lol: :lol:

hhhmmmmm. Palm Beach commentary was obviously the same as the Cronulla show. Not surprised, Tim sounded like he was on auto-pilot. Probably seen the footage 10,000 times.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:15 am

hey fellas

The footage had to be shot off a particular laptop screen because it is the only device I have found that can play the grimy old disc that the footage was originally transferred onto. The disc also has the original clip in DAT format which I am going to have to find someone to convert. This particular laptop is the only device that has played the disc for years. So i got lucky.

Speaking of luck, funny story about getting hold of the footage.

We had a DVD made up in Meulaboh but forgot to go back and get it, and trekked off to Nias. And on the ferry realised that we had forgotten the footage. We were bummed but not too worried, FFS we were on our way to Lagundri and sitting on the roof of the ferry with three Irish girls! So the footage was lost in Indo for years.

Then my mate who was on the feral trip with me was on a boat with some crew off the coast of Sumatra some years later, about five, and the captain pulled out this disc he had come across and showed the boys one night. Said he had "been looking for this right".

Well, Andy couldn't believe his eyes.

When Andy got back to the Goldie we sat down and watched the footage over a slab. We watched it time and again laughing our heads off at our luck.

crazy huh?

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:50 am

I assume the video in DAT format is from a VCD.If you have a Mac with Toast on it ,create a "Video CD" from the formats menu,drop the DAT file onto it,highlight the added file and click export.Quicktime will open and give you options. Select DV and save the file.It will then be usable in other programs(Imovie etc).Because it has originally been put into a VCD format it has been compressed to MPG1 format,which is a lower quality conversion to fit on a standard cd disk,as compared to a MPG2 file found on DVD disks so you will never regain the quality of the original camera tape ,but it will look a lot better than filming it from a laptop.Another option is to use VLC(video watching program) and use a screen capture program called Snapz Pro, which will record whatever you are playing on your Mac into a Q/T movie. Hope this helps.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:54 am

Clif wrote:Hey Al,

did you see my lame-arse movie attempt of that footage of my mate and I I told you about from an Indo trip a decade ago? I used the movie maker on Mac. I had to re-shoot the footage with my camera from a screen. I shoulda got your help but wanted to have a go myself first.

http://www.vimeo.com/3822028

Can you put moving pictures in this thread? :mrgreen:
GREAT MOVIE , MUSIC. looks good fuzzy gives it something...

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:13 am

lessormore ... THANKS! I can do that! I can get the programs for free and will try. If i can do it I will then make a version that is clearer but keep the fuzzy dark version because as avalon points out it has its charms haha. I am going to get a French voice over and enter it into a surf film festival. You know, ART, and all that :lol: I can see the offers of $$$$$, free skinny jeans and insouciant ladies affections now.

maybe not

:mrgreen:

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:26 am

nice one cliff :mrgreen:
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:55 pm

Clif wrote:I told you about from an Indo trip a decade ago?
Here's a counterpoint to remote Indo barrels.
Tandem surfing knee high waves in the Richmond river.
Koori families playing in the shorey, backpackers and SUP's.....so relaxing and satisfying sliding a few with my daughter on the front.
Wonder if she'll remember this when she grows up.
http://www.vimeo.com/3843655
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:03 pm

That's a great little vid Steve. Good to see she's followed her old mans lead, being a goofy-footer :wink: .

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:07 pm

When she first stood up, she stood up natural and I made her change feet.......hmmmm.....oh well she seems used to it now.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:27 pm

i want to look at clif's and steve's vids too but come to find out i have to download a later version of flash player and the download is taking bloody forever. how'd you go with getting that file onto your computer, clif?

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:31 pm

steve shearer wrote:Tandem surfing knee high waves .
fantastic stuff steve :D ... memories for me because I taught my little brother the same way out tiny DY point when he was 4 ... I had an 11'6" Keyo that the late great Fred Lister gave me ... and stuck him on the front the same way you were doing with your little one ...

I taught my 2 girls by pushing them onto waves and my youngest used to ride tiny waves all the way to shore in a crouch and still holding the rails when she was about 4 ... this is her at noosa a couple of years back ... she spent hours and hours everyday for a week cruising those ankle biters to herself while the carnage went on at the point ... :lol:
aP41200801Small.jpg

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:46 pm

^^^

Matt Trigger (son of one of the co-founders of the Trigger Brothers) has a mal with hand rails glued to the sides up the front. I've seen him surf small waves with his little one on the front of the board clinging on at Pt Leo. At least I think it is him.

Awesome sight, definitely a plan for the future for me when my daughter gets a bit older.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:42 pm

damn this is getting me excited about surfing and our boy already, i'm going to have to chill out and hold it in.