Boardworks epoxy surfboards - Hynson Twinzer

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:45 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
munch wrote:What I don't get is the materials to make a board like that would come in at around:
$4p/m*2sides*2coats = $32 for glass
150g * ( 2sides * 2coats + 2gloss) @ $20/kg = $18 for resin
about $20 for the eps blank which is probably popped out so no (or very little) shaping time but double just for arguments sake = $40
consumables (paint, brushes, thinners ... ) = $30
di vini cell I've got no idea but lets say = $80

so to guess ~= $200

and a normal PE/PU costs around the same but factor in labour costs, $20 somewhere else :roll: here $150 :arrow: so how the fark do they justify costing 1.5x what a PE/PU costs :?
You're failing to account for Mike Hynson.

Put a price tag on 50 years of commitment to surfing and post-Hendrix guru status.

Remember now he has put his name on this supposedly hateful product, and is very likely reaping royalty rewards well into six figures. The sort of money a good surfboard designer should be able to make, but was never able to in the feudal world of old school cottage industry boardmaking.

I'm not a fan of moral judgements on surfboard production techniques, I don't reckon they've done anyone any favours through the years. Certainly not the actual boardmakers.

surfa69 I advise you to make your calls based on value for money. Heaps of alternatives out there, some great handcut boards from guys like Banksy, Michael M, Van Straalen et al, some good quality stock labels in both standard pu/polyester and epoxy composite, a couple of super high range models (Van Straalen has just started working with Aviso, the US based carbon fibre moulders, I saw one of the results a couple of weeks back and it blew my mind, 'course it costs about two grand). Have a look round the Manly surfboard-type stores to get a sense of the range.
Couldnt agree more with this. I have an Aviso on the way and a couple of Firewires round out my quiver. I have progessively replaced my PU quiver with hand laid expoxy. I have done the whole shaper - hand shaped thing for 20 years but was sick to death of constantly paying for repairs or buying a new stick that looked like crap 3 months later. As for performance, they may be machine made mostly but they are proven shapes, I couldnt be happier and I can give them a flogging without spending $50 every couple of weeks for repairs or having to do it myself. Hand laid epoxy is the way of the future and I predict that in less than 5 years PU boards will disappear. Epoxy bends but doesnt shatter, PU shatters on impact. Once you see how hand laid epoxy, (not Tufflites or simiilar construction) handle wear and tear, you realise its false economy to buy PU boards. I do like however that Firewires are profiting aussies such as Taj and Nev but that , to be honest, is not something which influences my decision to buy a board, Performance then Durablity, that should be it.

Surfa 69
Grommet

Post by Surfa 69 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:05 pm

bohdidontsurf wrote: Couldnt agree more with this. I have an Aviso on the way and a couple of Firewires round out my quiver. I have progessively replaced my PU quiver with hand laid expoxy. I have done the whole shaper - hand shaped thing for 20 years but was sick to death of constantly paying for repairs or buying a new stick that looked like crap 3 months later. As for performance, they may be machine made mostly but they are proven shapes, I couldnt be happier and I can give them a flogging without spending $50 every couple of weeks for repairs or having to do it myself. Hand laid epoxy is the way of the future and I predict that in less than 5 years PU boards will disappear. Epoxy bends but doesnt shatter, PU shatters on impact. Once you see how hand laid epoxy, (not Tufflites or simiilar construction) handle wear and tear, you realise its false economy to buy PU boards. I do like however that Firewires are profiting aussies such as Taj and Nev but that , to be honest, is not something which influences my decision to buy a board, Performance then Durablity, that should be it.
What firewires do you have? I agree that the 'average' surfboard of today will definately be different in 5 years, its the epoxy parabolic / suspension systems that are going to be everywhere. I can't wait to get a new firewire! As soon as I get a new job it will be all go and I'll actually be able to afford 1!

By the way does anyone have any contacts in the consumer durables area (particularly sports and fashion goods) for a mid level marketeer? I've got 2 interviews next week, one that sounds very promising within a big sydney sports / fashion brand distributor.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:14 pm

Surfa 69 wrote:
bohdidontsurf wrote: Couldnt agree more with this. I have an Aviso on the way and a couple of Firewires round out my quiver. I have progessively replaced my PU quiver with hand laid expoxy. I have done the whole shaper - hand shaped thing for 20 years but was sick to death of constantly paying for repairs or buying a new stick that looked like crap 3 months later. As for performance, they may be machine made mostly but they are proven shapes, I couldnt be happier and I can give them a flogging without spending $50 every couple of weeks for repairs or having to do it myself. Hand laid epoxy is the way of the future and I predict that in less than 5 years PU boards will disappear. Epoxy bends but doesnt shatter, PU shatters on impact. Once you see how hand laid epoxy, (not Tufflites or simiilar construction) handle wear and tear, you realise its false economy to buy PU boards. I do like however that Firewires are profiting aussies such as Taj and Nev but that , to be honest, is not something which influences my decision to buy a board, Performance then Durablity, that should be it.
What firewires do you have? I agree that the 'average' surfboard of today will definately be different in 5 years, its the epoxy parabolic / suspension systems that are going to be everywhere. I can't wait to get a new firewire! As soon as I get a new job it will be all go and I'll actually be able to afford 1!

By the way does anyone have any contacts in the consumer durables area (particularly sports and fashion goods) for a mid level marketeer? I've got 2 interviews next week, one that sounds very promising within a big sydney sports / fashion brand distributor.
have u contacted Gordon ?

Surfa 69
Grommet

Post by Surfa 69 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:04 am

pridmore wrote:
Surfa 69 wrote: By the way does anyone have any contacts in the consumer durables area (particularly sports and fashion goods) for a mid level marketeer? I've got 2 interviews next week, one that sounds very promising within a big sydney sports / fashion brand distributor.
have u contacted Gordon ?
Gordon?

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:52 am

bohdidontsurf wrote:[
Hand laid epoxy is the way of the future and I predict that in less than 5 years PU boards will disappear. .
Wasn't this statement around 5 years ago :roll:

I agree that layed up epoxy is going to soak up more marketshare but pricing and building efficiencies will dampen its energy.

PU boards will stand the test of time imo.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:34 am

for some reason I always thought a twinzer was a five finned thruster type thingie...

Norman_Gunston
Grommet

Post by Norman_Gunston » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:50 am

WANDERER wrote:for some reason I always thought a twinzer was a five finned thruster type thingie...
That would be a bonzer.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:08 pm

longbum wrote:
bohdidontsurf wrote:[
Hand laid epoxy is the way of the future and I predict that in less than 5 years PU boards will disappear. .
Wasn't this statement around 5 years ago :roll:

I agree that layed up epoxy is going to soak up more marketshare but pricing and building efficiencies will dampen its energy.

PU boards will stand the test of time imo.
Yeah it was, but epoxy boards now are far better than they were 5 years ago. Firewires werent around then for example and the price, relative to other types of construction has , in real terms come down. Look at the work and durability inherent in a Sunova for $1000 v a PU custom for say $700, no comparison. I stand by my statement.