correct paddling technique?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:31 am

Most graphic, daryl.

The effect is similar -- the hand's "fluttering" is allowing water to pass by without your having got a grip on it.

Slow down -- catch and pull slower and more firmly. Like going into 4WD low gear mode. Less speed more traction.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:51 pm

Slow down :!: 'chuddering' :?: :D oh, okay... Thought oi was flying along :D .

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:16 pm

The fastest paddlers I know have a surprisingly low rpm rate.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:47 pm

Mmm. :D

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:39 pm

SAsurfa wrote:All this technicality about paddling :roll: .

I think we all know and feel when we are centred on our board correctly as to not be pushing water or creating too much drag when the nose dips too far under :idea:

We all know how much to spread our fingers apart to get the maximum amount of movement without letting too much or little water flow between them :idea:

After paddling over hundreds of thousands of times, probably even into the millions you know if your paddling technique is right and you know how to adjust your style or positioning if it feels a little out of wack. Surely after paddling this much you don't need someone to help you improve your technique more, surely any advice on top of what you already know will only be useful for shaving off a second or two paddling over 100m, and why is that useful :?: it's not a race :idea:

My 2c :D

lol its funny ppl have a dig but I agree, this topic is like asking "how do I take a chit" paddling pretty much sixth sense for most surfers. When you want to go hard you just get in the zone keep ya head low ride every little wake. Sure some technical information might be handy but hell it aint brain surgery.

I could keep up with squizzy taylor, for anyone in the know he was one of the fastest paddlers in SA..... Not when I was young mind you but I learned alot having my grommet years round him.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:10 pm

My hands are fucking tiny, and I'm lapping up every bit of advice I can from NC, to get me along. So there.

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:44 pm

daryl wrote: So there.
Fuk me, you sound just like my 5 year old neice. What kindy you go to :P

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:47 pm

Nappy wrote:
bbbb-bbbbleet! me, you sound just like my 5 year old neice. What kindy you go to :P
a fucken neice one

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:57 am

Nappy wrote:
bbbb-bbbbleet! me, you sound just like my 5 year old neice. What kindy you go to :P
hey genius, like I said above a while back, when it comes to surfing, we're all in kindy ...

...so take it easy on people who understand they're in kindy to learn.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu May 01, 2008 10:01 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:[
:lol: :lol: :lol: usually takes a surfer about 20 years before he/she starts realising he/she doesn't know s**t

yep....i can relate too that :lol: :oops: i kinda think thats half the addiction of surfing....u never really master it...u have your days...but hueys just waiting smack u like a fly :lol:

biggest thing ( other than lift u elbows ) has b the cup...like i find just concerating on getting my hand in @ the right angle saves me a lot hard work :!:

without suxing up too nicknack ( stupid natural footer :x ) i've been reading his book on surfing your best and found it invaluable :!:

fairdinkum...sure theres some stuff in there i didn't know....but wat was really interesting was too read about something i've done naturally in my surfing for years (fall forward takeoff :wink: ) but never really understood how or why it worked :?

u know....just seemed better option than eating shit on a steep drop :lol:

with the amount study and death of knoweledge we have over our surfing now....all i can say is embrace it :wink:

p.s i think your books over priced too nicky :lol:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri May 02, 2008 3:56 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:p.s i think your books over priced too nicky :lol:
Come now fongy...it's only 10 lattes!

Can't undercharge for half a lifetime of not knowing anything...

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Fri May 02, 2008 10:56 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Nappy wrote:
hey genius, like I said above a while back, when it comes to surfing, we're all in kindy ...

Fark stop being so nice, wheres Narky nic? My comment was more about the "So there" bit.....what grown man says that?!!!

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sun May 04, 2008 7:29 pm

Nappy wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
Nappy wrote:

Fark stop being so nice, wheres Narky nic? My comment was more about the "So there" bit.....what grown man says that?!!!
My apology, it was flip, boneheaded, I'm not the most mature funt :( .

I went to Norwood kindy :D .

And yeah nick, I've cut back on the revs.

Hurry is the resource of the faithless. Where a man can trust his own
heart, and those of his friends, to-morrow is as good as today. And if
he die in the meanwhile, why, then, there he dies, and the question is
solved.

R.L. Stevenson - An Inland Voyage

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed May 07, 2008 10:04 pm

the correct technecque is on your knees with deep thrust from b-hind :idea:

and when we talk about cup...it's all in how u hold her breast :shock:

hang on....wrong forum...damn mix my user name up xnxxx :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

p.s aww nick....your mag is great...on my own ...been reading lots..yours has been something i come back too everynight....i didn't read from front too back...rather explore it....fully enjoy it ( theres some serious grammeer mistakes mind u :lol: )

but c'mon....for a extra 4 lattes....i think i'd rather a hardcover :idea:

take too your eva tight publishers....if it's worth buying...i'd rather a decent hard cover...the mag format cheapens your hard work :!:

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed May 07, 2008 10:30 pm

But I don't think it's thick enough to be a hard cover Fong.

Maybe combine the two into a hard cover :idea:

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu May 08, 2008 8:35 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:the correct technecque is on your knees with deep thrust from b-hind :idea:

and when we talk about cup...it's all in how u hold her breast :shock:

hang on....wrong forum...damn mix my user name up xnxxx :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

p.s aww nick....your mag is great...on my own ...been reading lots..yours has been something i come back too everynight....i didn't read from front too back...rather explore it....fully enjoy it ( theres some serious grammeer mistakes mind u :lol: )

but c'mon....for a extra 4 lattes....i think i'd rather a hardcover :idea:

take too your eva tight publishers....if it's worth buying...i'd rather a decent hard cover...the mag format cheapens your hard work :!:
Withuot being to explicit, the standing erect playing coits on a trampoline with multiple vertical take-off and landings, flick coit upwards for a full airborne then re-entry, has to be the all time great possie :oops: :oops:
:oops:

Worth more'n 1o lattes, thanks champ.

Help from the gods :D .

Wonder about volume I :shock: .

hymie

Post by hymie » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:51 pm

interesting thread (well, mostly)

i've been surfing for many years, ok - decades, and i've never had shoulder problems but in the last few months i've been getting pain in one elbow and now both elbows hurt when i paddle.

it doesn't stop me from surfing but it's getting more pronounced. it's kind of a dull ache right in the middle of the elbow joint and it's a concern because it's getting worse not better. any rational suggestions or advice much appreciated.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:15 am

hymie you poor bastard, you are developing tendonitis in the shoulder and elbow joints.

This is a chronic ailment. You can rest and it might go away, but if you do, the muscles in your upper back and shoulders will probably atrophy and you'll just re-strain the tendons when you jump back into it.

I reckon just keep surfing -- try to be aware of where the physical effort is going with your paddling (probably a bit too much effort in the forearms and biceps), and try to consciously relax the arms -- find a good masseur and undergo a couple of weeks' intensive massage, at least twice a week, to free up the tension in your arms and shoulders -- get the masseur to show you some effective stretches -- and go from there.