correct paddling technique?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:17 pm

Nice to see you back in the forums Nick. I thought you might have 'moved on'.

This forum has been a very interesting one. I've been working on your technique there Nicholas, and it isn't exactly straighforward but I think I'm getting it.

Much appreciated.

hymie

Post by hymie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:39 pm

thanks nick. the problem is elbows only, the shoulders are fine. i thought it might be something like tendonitis. i'll pay a visit to the physio.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:18 am

Don't spend a lot of money there...you're gonna be living with this "paddle elbow" for some time.

just been busy oldman. back and forth a bit in the next few months. good to hear you're getting the swing of it.

mpcutback

Post by mpcutback » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:05 pm

hi . new to forum and been reading this thread with enjoyment. I was wondering if there are any glimpses of the technique on any surfing dvd 's. I think i have it in my minds eye but woud be good to see it in action if only for a few seconds . Also , how deep do you go ? Full arm immersion or only to elbow ? oooh Matron .
I would like to say to Hymie that I use Bowen Technique for my injuries . Google for background and you will find details . I am no New Ager but what struck me was they use it on horses and whats good enough for Mr Ed is good enough for me .
Cheers

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:18 pm

See Bottle Thompson demonstrating it in stills seq in the Complete Guide Vol 2.

Re arm, the deeper the better -- the more arm in, the more water displaced.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:47 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:52 pm

I was watching the underwater shots from Grant Hacket's 1500m final on the weekend and paid close attention to to the way his hand was entering the water on each stroke - it's been a while since I've visited this thread but to me it seemed like a pretty good demonstration of the catch technique discussed here, especially the angle of the hand as it enters the water, followed by what appeared to be a brief pause (presumably to get the best performance out of the stroke).

Has anyone else noticed this in the olympic swimming? I guess it's one of those little things that can set someone apart from the others in a sport that comes down to such minute time differences .

From what I could see he was pretty much the only one doing it (didn't help him get the gold though :wink: )

silvafish
Grommet

Post by silvafish » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:28 am

i find when your about to paddle the last five strokes into a wave,suck everything into your bum cheeks like your got bali belly,this will flatten out most of your back onto the deck of your board,extra speed,easy entry,better transition for learners..try it!

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:07 am

First up this is a great thread, I only discovered it on Friday, and I've been itching to put NIcks advice into practice.

I went out for the early on Sunday to a break down here which has a very long paddle (around 400-500 metres) to get out the back to put the technique into practice.

And fcuk did it make my surf a hell of a lot better!!!

I stopped using my shoulder muscles and as Nick advises used my upper back and biceps to pull the water rather than try and shovel/windmill it like I always used to. I actually found that working my hands under the board was better than along the sides, maybe it was my technique, and I was also making a conscious effort to really move my body with every stroke as well to dissipate the stress of the movement. Consequently I got out the back much faster, was less tired and even kept up with my mates who ride bigger boards than me too.

I did find that I got extra power when I used my tricep muscle to flick the water behind me after using my upper back and biceps to pull the water under my board. I think this is called the S motion. I reserved this just for when paddling to catch a wave as it obviously took more energy to do but the paddling speed I got was definitely a lot more as well.

All up thanks heaps Nick this has certainly made a big improvement and my shoulders feel great as well.

Hozameen

Post by Hozameen » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:15 pm

dang it!

I have prided myself on being very quick around the line up.

Now thanks to Nick, it wont be as easy to out paddle everyone :(

In reality it is wonderful advice.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:42 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:See Bottle Thompson demonstrating it in stills seq in the Complete Guide Vol 2.

Re arm, the deeper the better -- the more arm in, the more water displaced.
I'm looking forward to doing that Nick, when your publisher ever gets this freaking book distributed.

I told the wife that it would be a suitable Father's day present (both to me and to you) and so she has ordered it from some bookstore a week or two before Father's Day, but here we are, nearly 3 weeks later, and not a word has been read.

Should ask for a discount if they ever come through.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:02 pm

pretty sure it was out last xmas because i gave one to my brother :wink:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:10 pm

wanto wrote:pretty sure it was out last xmas because i gave one to my brother :wink:
Yeh there around. Would have thought the book store had a better opinion of its customers than to keep us waiting this long.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:42 am

Mrs oldman should go straight to the publishers, she'll get a quicker result that way. Same people as Surfing Life.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:56 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:Fong is right - deserves a hard cover...
Bit of fibreglass will fix it R’Ron.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:49 am

Here's a question on paddling technique. Why do clubbies ( rescue board )do that funny scissor action thing with there legs??

I was watching a swarm of nippers paddle past last night and thinking, "that doesn't look terribly efficient".

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:03 pm

OK! This is something taught to nipper paddlers to help 'em throw their entire spindly frames into the task of moving water.

Kick the opposite leg and it:

a) shifts the opposing arm fractionally further forward into the grab
b) helps balance the weight shift caused by the reach and grab.

Once you get a bit bigger and shift up to the longer racing mals, you have to de-tune this part of your prone paddling style, which is easy enough 'cause knee paddling is a fair bit quicker than prone, and you tend to focus on that instead.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:59 am

Cheers Nick. I will never laugh at how silly a clubbie on a paddle board looks ever again. :lol:

Not unless it's the "bum sniffer" competition... that kills me every time